My July Kruger trip at last...

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: My July Kruger trip at last...

Post by Richprins »

Brilliant again, Heks! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Another brilliant trip so far Heksie ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ as per normal ^0^

That was some sunset drive :-0

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

This was indeed a drive for all cat Lovers, Heksie O\/

Awesome Leopard shots, followed by lions, more leopards and on top civet and wild cat - Who can ask for more :ty: O/\ ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Fantastic cat sightings ^Q^ ^Q^ \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

Wonderful Leopard and Lion sighting ^Q^ ^Q^ and don't forget the civet and AWC ^Q^ O/\

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 3
The only definite plan we had for this morning drive was to take the S100 to search for the white cub… So off we went on the infamous dirt road. First we got some ellies causing a roadblock, after cautiously passing them we got a lioness trying to hunt. We spent an hour with her, she was actually frozen on one spot for a few minutes, looking like a stuffed animal just put there to be photographed. It was unfortunately a failed hunt but the fun didn’t stop there…

She then came towards us and then scratched the tree right next to our car, we were parked about 2m from her and then got the biggest fright of our lives. Just after scratching she lunged in our direction to run in front the car across the road. The car behind us laughed at us when they drove past us…

We decided that we had enough of this lady and moved on. We did get another breeding herd of ellies crossing the road as the sun rose…

And we were lucky enough to spot those teeny tiny pearlies far off,

We turned towards N’wanetsi picnic spot for a quick look break and the road was very quiet, we only saw some marabou storks. We decided that to stick to quiet roads again today so we took the S37 to Tshokwane. I had my first visit to Sweni bird hide, and I just have to add that it a must see hide. We saw yellow billed storks, grey heron, goliath heron, Egyptian geese and some green crocs…

We also got a double-banded sandgrouse couple in the road…

And then for my mum, a jackal sighting, it was strange to see one at midday.

And relaxing in the shade, was some kudu male,

There wasn’t a lot to see on the road, and we arrived at Lower Sabie just time to book in. We unpacked and mum went for an afternoon nap whilst I had a KPA and checked out the collared barbet in the tree in front of our tent. Then I saw a birdy flutter closer to me and I was ecstatic, I just ran to the car to get my camera. I saw this birdy on someone’s trip report and since then it was on my wishlist, the acacia barbet…

That afternoon we went on another drive but there weren’t anything worth mentioning except the pink sunrise over Lower Sabie camp. The pic doesn’t do it any justice…

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I had almost given this TT up ;-)

Great meet with the young lioness ^Q^ ^Q^

and I love your acacia barbet. A pity that the pearly was so far away, but still a pearly it is no doubt O/\ O/\

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

THanks for the reply Lis O0

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 4
We planned to take the S21 this morning to drive to the H5 and then stop for a morning chill at Mpondo dam. But it didn’t work out that way, mum had to go to the loo urgently, it would teach us to drink coffee in the morning, yet again… But as we always say: ‘Everything happens for a reason’ when we eventually got on the S114 and were counting down the kilometres to Skukuza, we drove upon a small traffic jam. And what waited for us? 5 wild dogs chilling next to the road, and with spotting them she for a few minutes forgot about her bladder…

Then we were off to camp for a necessary stop. With this detour our plans change and now mum suggested that we drive up to Tshokwane, I said it is fine as we didn’t plan an afternoon drive as we booked a sunset drive. We saw a little bee eater on the H1-2,

And some bobbies and zebra from the high-water bridge,

Then on the Nwtandinlopfu bridge we got a lappet faced vulture and hooded vulture with their unfortunate prey. We sat on the bridge in a bigger traffic jam than with the dogs to spend some time with the birds of prey…

And we got to see a beautiful male nyala that crossed the road in front of us,

Also our first sighting of the klipspringers this trip was near Kruger Tablets…

It started getting hot and on our way back on the S128 there weren’t really animals next to the road, we did get to see a young kudu male close to the road,

And then on the low-water bridge we had some warties, drinking water a safe distance from the river…

That night it started getting windy and we wanted to cancel our drive but at the end we decided to still go ahead. We had a young trainee and he was very knowledgeable but it was evident that he was new at doing this.
First stop was at Sunset damand there were some water monitors chilling trying to get the last bit of sunrays…

The sightings were far off, and with the wind chasing all the animals deeper into the bush, it wasn’t such a great drive. But a yeah for me was the white-tailed mongoose that I spotted on the s130 and then the guide showed us a boomslang on the H4-2 just north of the S28…

I was very happy as it was my first boomslang in the park and as you guys know, I just love seeing those slithering serpents in the park. And we got to see some porcupines and civets, and then just before camp I spotted a scrubhare frozen next to the road which allowed me to take a ‘not-that-bad’ kiekie.

We then decided to have some hot delights at Mugg and Bean, and it was strange how quiet the restaurant was, even though it was only just past 20:00. We hoped that we would get a night time spotted visitor whilst enjoying our warm cuppa on the deck but we weren’t that lucky and then it was time to go to bed as we had our last full day in the South.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The wild dogs were very sleepy ;-)

Cute little bee-eater \O
0()

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”