Touring the South with 5 1/2 Navigators*

Amoli

Touring the South with 5 1/2 Navigators*

Post by Amoli »

With most Trip Reports written by mites, I use a highlighter and a map and travel the route with them .
It makes it very interesting for me and I note down any markings of significance.
My desk is always over flowing with maps and books….. and a bottle of wine.

While planning my KNP trip, I decided to use these maps as my Navigators, and travel the roads of the Great Wild Adventurers.
I would take note of their marked sightings on the map and on my return report whether they are still there… -O -O

I want to introduce you to my navigators..
Just Nature – he doesn’t say much as he driving, taking the pics and his parents are quiet. (Blue markings and crossed the roads of Pink (RT)

Lowveld Boy – he travels alone and sometimes his car would rock with excitement on a good sighting (Green map)

Flutterby – Her dad is driving, which leaves her hands clear to show us the way … (Yellow map)

BH & HB – I might loose them from time to time as they speed past to the next sighting (Pink for his Hunny mixed with purple (best sightings))

Leachy – He will be taking the pics of the Fish Eagle and hammerkop. I will watch him and learn. (Some more blue markings)

RP – unfortunately only ½ will be on the trip – the other ½, his heart, is up North where Sprocky stays. (To follow )

This is the combined map – you think I will make it ??

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Re: Touring the South with 5 1/2 Navigators

Post by Amoli »

Toko wrote:Image Hey Amoli
Amoli wrote: I need to warn you though, once I squeazed them all into one vehicle, the colours got mixed up..... -O
Image Six greenies and the biggest load of fun stuff you've squeezed into your car, now you can go Image

ImageImageImage
Thanks for packing the car Toko - it seems..... full -O

Day 1 – Malelane to Afsaal – via S110 – S121 – S114 – H2-2 – H3

I invited a school friend with me on this trip – being our first overnight trip to Kruger.
We have known each other since school years and this was our first holiday together.
I will refer to my hiking friend as MM.
For a hiker, she certainly takes a LOTTA stuff…. :shock: :shock:

Bright and early we made our way to Malelane Gate to meet up with our Navigators – BH, HB, JN and LVB.

BH : Woke up way before dawn and the alarm and lay in the tent drinking in the sounds of the night shift symphony. Frogs and birds are harmonizing with a few backing vocals from unknown insects and other creatures.

Before we can do any of this though, we need some brekkie supplies and decide to fall into Berg-en-Dal.

JN :.... We stopped in at Berg-en- Dal and did the roads around the camp, it was very quiet yet we saw a Leopard …..Tortoise and as we approached the H3 we had a few buffalo next to the road, this guy was willing to pose for a few photo’s.

LVB :The next morning we were out the gate as it opened and headed to Matjulu. It was cloudy, yet humid. We did not see as much as an impala all the way around the Matjulu loop up to the tar road. We headed towards afsaal, and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was. The whole weekend the roads was reasonably quiet and the only speeding we saw was from Jeep jockeys and STAFF!!!!!
We came across a pin-tailed Whydah ...an Hyeana in a hurry
and some rhino about 1km before afsaal we encountered a real favourite – CHEETAH

Driving along the S110, our first sighting was an elephant having a drink at a waterhole.

RP : Mind the spiders web… you don’t want to be caught in that – I have gone through such an experience. And Skuk.....

But……but...

There were great sightings of birds on this road.
LBR, Dark capped bulbul, White fronted Bee-eater, Hornbills, Woodland Kingfisher, a Gabar Goshawk and Hornbills – NO LEOPARD. – NO CHEETAH

We travelled with the S121 Timfenheni – and saw giraffes and impala’s.

We went up with S114. Passing the turnoff, we went down to look at the bridge.
There we found Leachy in his studio busy with his ‘birds’ and a photo shoot. Some photographic lessons were presented…..

Master Hammerkop looked back and said : Re-adjust your position - your lighting is wrong.... :roll:

Better...

Perfect !!! :P

A three banded plover was part of the audience…. (lifer)

We waved goodbye and left....

S118 There were boards up everywhere that the Biyamati Road was closed and I was not sure whether I could reach the Gardenia Hide.
I regret not finding out…

We found ellies in the road, and one lady was swinging her front leg to and fro.
I couldn’t figure out the message, but I thought her to be uneasy – watching the ears, and the tail, and the trunk.
We waited for a while and slowly approached the herd who was eating right next to road.

This is a pic of the backside of the ellie – we were on the move….and very close.

BH : Lone Giraffe and pairs of Zebra and Wildebeest…...

We saw Kudu, warthogs, more ellies and impala’s.

MM : there were some giraffes back there.
I caught some movement : wonderful, ‘cos there are zebras also.
I reversed and MM said : sorry, I meant zebras. :shock: :shock: :o0ps:

We turned onto the H3 and followed the Bunny team.

JN : We headed up to Afsaal for breakfast and finally got to see the resident Scops-owl

At Afsaal, JN insisted showing me the Scops owl. A lifer for me – thank you so much. \O

We had another visitor who joined in with us : Mr Hopper.

RP : I still say...Skukuza ..... > > > > > > - Another cold one coming up sir.... :wink: X#X

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 1 – Afsaal to Skukuza – via H3 – S113 – S23 – S114 – H1-1

BH :And a mom and baby Rhino at Renosterpan

JN : After breakfast it was up to Skukuza via Renosterkoppies dam

LVB - The rocky outcrops just north of Afsaal did 1st spoil us to some klipspringer and baboons ...
I saw a car a few hundred meters in front standing still,…….I had goosebumps, tears, could not utter a word. 12 years of searching and waiting and patience - finally over. My dream came true,

I SAW WILD DOGS!!!!

Renosterpan had no surprises for us. The scenary was beautiful. I took umpteen pics of the rock formations.
We saw Impala’s and Warthogs - NO LEOPARD – NO WILD DOGS – NO KLIPSPRINGER

On the S23 I saw this Juv Martial Eagle. I was properly rocking the car with exitment and at the same time, keeping as still as possible. (Lifer)

BH - A lunch time stop resulted in the Kruger virgins first stop at Skukuza. Part of the ritual of initiation was to be inducted in the proper manner by being exposed to the unique smell of the thatch at the Skukuza reception.

We arrived at Skukuza shortly after 2 o’clock. The book-in went smoothly and we set up camp with anticipation for the next few days. We were only two campers on the whole block!

RP : I wouldn’t book at Skukuza .. it’s way to…..

BH : but still not worth it because there is so much traffic, in my opinion.? 8)But…but…

Looking at our watches we realized….whoop – there was time for a good afternoon drive….
Let’s go !

BH -…..to see a lion somewhere along the Doispane road
… I saw Klipspringer. At a waterhole close to Matsekenyane we saw a very young ellie who had some grand delusion that Kruger belonged to it, chasing all and sundry away from the water. It was quite comical watching the adult Kudus scattering with alacrity and running before this young little upstart.

JN - the S65 just before the dam at the rocks we spotted the klipspringers. We saw this guy on a dead branch and a Rhino in the shade and the Jabi with baby

NO LEOPARD – NO WILD DOGS - NO KLIPSPRINGER…. :(

On the H3 I blocked the traffic for a while and made motorists look at what speeding brings about…..
a rock monitor killed by a vehicle.
Somewhere reality kicks in and you realize you can’t change the world – only try to improve it.

Some beautiful zebra

The starlings were having a free roam around the park, being their mischievous selves.

We were stopped by a family outing of Crested Francolins…. Parents keeping a watchful eye on young –

Turning on to the S65 the first to see us were some Kudu’s grazing.
I cut the engine and sat watching them.
This female approached the car and presented me with her best behavior. Superb.

Except for a lonely Ellie bull and lots of LBR the bush kept their secrets.

We were travelling in silence, each with her own thoughts when

MM said – We just passed some brown animals, but they were far.
I reversed and suddenly realized that this was gonna be a looooong week.
Very patiently I said : MM, it’s Buffalo – one of the big 5 – busy with family affairs
MM – OK

RP – You can’t just say OK. Bow down or something…..

Another ellie on it's own....

We deciced to stop-off and experience Lake Panic.

BH - Lake Panic, once again was alive with all the usual water birds and our first croc sighting of the trip.

JN - Decided to stop in at Lake panic, what a stunning place, we ended up spending a lot of time here

On arrival at the hide I heard the Fish Eagle and then saw it swooping down for dinner.
I was so stunned by the beauty of it – and filed it deep into my heart – no pictures as it was too far.

We saw pied kingfisher with it’s dinner, grey heron and hippo’s playing merry-go-round. I would certainly return to this spot.

On our way back to camp, I turned around to take this beautiful sight of the setting sun.

We went to bed early and I lay listening to night sounds.
Some lonely hyena calling for a mate mixed up with singing from the staff village….
Maybe the same message all round – when suddenly other sounds started coming through.
Laughter, and joyful hard voices : gooi nog, gooi nog .…
oh no, no …I just knew then that BH and JN had decided to crash with BC for the night.

At one stage I heard the local Fire Brigade bakkie pass the camp site with a speed.....and thought - they are in good hands... -O -O

The resemblance of their hairstyles the next morning made me think that I wouldn’t have to go looking for any more puffed up Hammerkop.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 2 H4-1 – S30 Salitjepad – S29 Molondozi – H10 /H4-2 – S28 Nhowla – H4-2

Excitement filled the air. Today was ‘treasure hunt’ day.

find out what it is,
in Kruger,
with or without pictures,
and find where he is sitting.
he.
he is leachy and will navigate us with routes in kruger…. whoop, whoop

Driving out of camp, with the map on the dash, I noticed tent 313 was still quiet and undisturbed : :D

Our first sighting for the day was ….. a hyena. O/\
It was trying to hide behind a few bushes but clearly very much awake.

We saw these vervets in a tree. ….uhmm, monkey tree in Kruger is definetly something different to the monkey tree in Natal.

And this bloke got first prize for his act… sweeeet

Looking at the damage to the railings of the High Bridge, you realize how high the water was and the force thereof.

Turning onto the Salitje Road I checked the map to make sure we were still in the right direction.
We took pics of some LBR and impalas and baboons and…… stop, stop. I nearly missed it.

Leachy – find them ….these red-billed oxpeckers seemed to be carrying out some sort of a mating dance on the back of the bovid

FOUND – but only 1 and wrong animal … blush

If I was not sure of the road, then this confirmed my direction was spot-on.
Your bouquet of lilies were in full bloom – herewith to all the angels….

The smell of the area was good, the quietness refreshing, and calmness filled the air.
I saw my bokkie from far. I cut the engine and let the car roll nearer……..
this moment was bigger than myself.
I sat taking pic after pic, talking to her, and listening whether she would answer me.

We saw Starlings, Hornbills, LBR, and this (I think) White crowned shrike.

I was quite excited to see a croc - he wa taking a sunbath – big boy.

We headed up to Molondozi picnic site for a brekkie. What a beautiful site to chill for a while.
Mites, I am pleased to show how much water there is …….

Leachy – where is this - …..i took some time to snap the structures of the horn moths as they established themselves on their keratin pantry

FOUND IT ^Q^ ^Q^

Leachy – of which animal : …..and to marvel at the skeletal scull of this feared yet mostly placid animal

FOUND IT ^Q^ ^Q^

WOW, I was doing great…. O/\

We saw more Impalas and Zebra and then I realized I had seen the tree, but I did not LOOK at the tree…
I heard the noise from the nest and it seemed as if mommy was telling baby to keep quite.
Then she took off, but I’m sure she kept the nest in her sight......are these your vultures sir?

Leachy – ….and these vultures where heading off to roost somewhere

We had beautiful sighting of Giraffes, Hippos, Tortoise, a Chameleon

We found FB on the Low Level Sabie Bridge…
FB : The Brat opted for the low-level bridge, ever hopeful that he would find the otter that he spotted there last year. No such luck...just a Goliath Heron....
We agreed to meet at Sunset Lake later on.

On the bridge we found mr.big mouth; Pied Kingfisher and

Afr Pied Wagtail

We took the S28 Nholowe road and saw this lonely bull,

Further on our sightings were Ostrich, Zebra, doves having a love affair, a go-away bird, a Lesser grey shrike

And a beautiful fever tree…(tree-house?)

And then he stood in front of us.
A magnificent bull. The air was filled with elephant purfume !…, and I was the only car !
He was busy and I took the time to reverse a half turn in order to take the best undisturbed pics.
I could hear his tummy rumble and I felt excitement. Wow, wow. It is the most beautiful creature.

He finished his toiletries and started moving to cross the road…. Each stride he took produced more pictures….

I was mesmerized by this giant and followed every movement. Another step – another load of pics.

When he made his final step into the road, his ears went wide, his trunk lifted and he turned on us………
…and in that split second I saw his was in musth. Camera down, feet on pedals….

Pause………………………………… I need to catch my breath……

I was thankful for the half turn I had made, yet cannot even remember when I started the car, but I did go, and I did go quickly…..
When I was well out of reach, I turned back and watched him.
It took him more than half an hour to rid him of his fancy for my little white car and wander into the bush,
….. it took me much longer to calm down. Even now, looking at the pics and remembering, I can feel the shake in my body…

We stopped off at Ntandanyathi hide. It was around midday and there was little movement.
I did catch a picture of this… ?? I think it could be a boa- I stand to be corrected. It was laying to the left just next to the hide, under some bushes.

Nhlanganzwani dam - or is it the pleins - produced lovely growing grass \O ….
En route to the dam, we did find some gentle beest

As we reached the H4-2 we saw Leachy pass and I remember him leaving a note :

leachy : so today was the day that i was scheduled to meet richprins at croc bridge and we were going to rendezvous with aat and elly

No BBJ, no buffalo breeding herd, no lion, no kori busted….
No Leopard, no klipspringer, no wild dogs..

Yet I felt so pleased - off to Hippo Pools...............

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 2 S27 Hippo Pools – H4-2 Gomondwane road – Sunset Lake – H4-1 Skuk-L.S road

The road down to Hippo pools was not as corrugated and we were scanning the bush when I nearly fell out of the car with surprise and laughter.
In front of us was a bike….. A WHAT !!!! - …. A bicycle - two wheels, no engine :shock:
Daniel stopped and introduced himself. He told us to be aware of giraffes in the road up ahead and some ellies bathing in the river.
Why did this seem so wrong…. Was I not supposed to warn him of animals!!

Apart from wanting to see the ellies, I was amazed by this guy using a bicycle as transport to get work and back…in…a…wildlife park.
He needed some serious angel coverage.

Daniels’ giraffes….

Daniels’ elephants…

surprise…

they were not chained down. I took a pic in any case to scan at home, by the off chance that my eyes were playing tricks on me…. Laugh

Then another surprise !!! Daniel – I called…. You missed this one…..

JN was still around and he explained some navigational info : right people at the right time…
JN ; We decided to go down to hippo pools and see what it had to offer us, it was great to see Daniel again and I am always amazed how easily he spots the game, he showed us the Lion spoor on the pathway we were walking down that had been through his area that morning which he was searching for . He pointed out the Waterbuck, Hippo, Croc and the Kudu, he could just not find us the lions . What a great view

He also told me that they….

JN :Stopped in at Mlondozi for breakfast…which turned out to be brunch , this site kept us entertained for about 2 hours as there was plenty to see waterbuck, warthogs, wildebeest, baboon troops, zebra, giraffe, hippo and there was supposedly lions on the one bank in a hollow . 3 herds of ellies came down to drink and then there were the singles that came down too, the last two had their morning bath.

Feeling left out with my sightings.. (we only saw waterbuck, a lone something and a single hippo). I will check out JN’s pics, to make sure this is not what FB calls ‘porkies’. O**

Back on the H4-2 we enjoyed being on tar – us angels just don’t enjoy the bumpy roads.

We saw baboons, and this brown snake eagle..

Another lone ellie bull, (who also flapped his ears in greeting), and a hippo grazing on the river bed.

I took the last parking left at Sunset Lake. It was quiet, very quiet, and the water was still, very still.

I saw FB and JN on the beach side of the dam and they seemed to be clicking away…. At what!!

JN :We stopped in at Sunset for coffee and watched the male Diderick Cuckoo’s displaying for their mates and then there were the usual animals and birds around….. always a winner and a great place to just sit and watch the game… hippo’s were bathing and the Heron’s practiced their surfing.

Fb : It was now time to go and sit at Sunset Dam for a while. As usual there were plenty of hippos, and some with passengers.

Leachy took some awesone 'in flight' pictures here. I will now post my own version….
can you see them?... look closer.... they are there.

A space opened up next to FB and I moved in next to her. We sat chatting and she told me :

FB : While we were watching the comings and goings I heard someone say, “Hello Flutterby!” A car had pulled up next to us bedecked with ANC ribbons on the rear door handle...Leachy!!! We exchanged greetings and I introduced the Brat and dad Dave. We compared sightings and made small-talk, as you do. There were a couple of kudus browsing next to Leachy’s car and he pointed out one with odd horns

I was a little… :mrgreen:

Back onto the H4-1. Heading back to camp. Why did this day go by so quickly?

I stopped to take (another) sequence of pics of the LBR. They seemed to be all over.
Beautiful bird… My thoughts were cut short by MM (she doesn’t talk a lot – only when she enjoys something)

MM: You have taken hundreds of pictures of THAT bird….
Me : …….really ? (Checking at home, it was nearly a hundred – sorry MM :P )

I saw another Brown Snake Eagle and counted the clicks to only ten…but when I saw the Martial Eagle, I didn’t even bother counting…..

The road was quiet except for ellies that were stopping over for a munch before and after their drinks at the river.
MM was a bit shaken with the Ellies, so I didn’t do any stops.

I am recording a sighting here – this is not where we saw it – but the page is quiet enough to put it here.
We stopped behind a car and saw this guy grazing. Not a good view but it was a big one.

After a while more cars stopped and the guy in front decided to leave. I moved in and we sat watching him having his snack.

Then something spooked him and he started running up and down as if in a cage.
At one stage he came right for the car and then swerved to the left.
I remember my friend gasping for air, but I was watching and taking pictures as calm as today.

He settled down and then crossed the road right in front of me…

and went on grazing peacefully on the other side. Wow.
I left to allow others to witness this lovely creature.

We decided to do a braai and went down to the restaurant for charcoal.

At the clock tower a strange scene was playing off.
A ranger was holding a Bino box in front of another guys face while cameras were clicking all over the show.
Lis recognized the legs and sent me an sms….. I remembered the rendevouz at Croc. Sir, you will have move if you want to make that braai.

Arriving at our campsite we found a truck had moved in.
I walked over to introduce myself. It was a family of five from Holland.
They were doing a trip from Holland to Cape Town and were now on their way back. This was their second trip.
The first one was on the west side of Africa and they were now doing the east side.
The three kids had chores and study time : amazing.
I had to tear myself away from their travel tales to do our ‘pap’ for the braai. –(BTW…if you wondered - this part is true…..) They gave me permission to take pics and post on our forum…

No Leopard – No wild dogs – No klipspringer
No BBJ, no buffalo breeding herd, no lion, no kori busted
No cheetah, no secretary bird, no ground hornbills.

Everything is beautiful….. in it’s own way…. O** O**

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 3 - S1 Doispane Rd – S3 Albasini Rd – Fayi loop – H1-1 Napi Road

We decided to have a calm day.
Do a ‘short’ drive and then come back and chill at the campsite.
We had three days of 10 hours each of solid riding and MM needed a break...

We left the camps site very late – think it was only about 6.30am and MM agreed to having only one navigator on this trip.

We popped down to Lake Panic to see the early morning movement.
I really enjoy being at this hide. :D

We saw an African Jacana

A black crake running over the lilly leaves..

A croc waiting for breakfast – ever so cunning,
and a lifer for me – Goliath Heron. Not my best picture….. yet!

On the S1 we saw more giraffes. I sat and watched the mommy giraffe's reaction after being separated from her baby.
Wonderful to see the caring.

Driving along with a thousand thoughts of precious family relations, when I suddenly caught a movement and stopped. Wow.

There were three cheetahs and obviously on a mission. Think they were discussing strategy when I interfered.
Soon there was a pile-up of cars.
And this is where my relationship with Duty vehicles started….. !!!
This viewing truck just pushed inbetween all the cars to the front and when I tried to just look around him, he shewed me away with his hand and told me to wait : his passengers need to take pics first.
I think…. nah, best not to think.

Someway in the distance there were more cars. In passing I saw BH and HB. MM said we need to give them space today. I couldn’t see what they were looking at.

BH ….. and made best speed towards the Doipspane Road. Still not much game along the roads.
After so many years of searching for a LIT, I finally found one. It also just happens to be a second sighting in as many days and that’s not all….my last three trips to KNP have each yielded at least one good sighting of a leopard.
The road was fairly quiet with some regular sightings. Every now and again I would take pictures of surroundings to watch at home when I become ‘park-sick’.

On the Albisini road we found a mongoose, but he was hiding and he was shy. My picture is not so good.

On the Shabeni loop I sat taking pics of Mrs K. Udu

when MM whispered : There is something with big horns and stripes at my window……

In the movement, I quickly took a picture….. my goodness, it’s to big for the frame…. Adjust, adjust..

What a beautiful bull. This one is for you Dad, and it has 2.1/2 turns. (I think) - (My Dad judges a big-one from a small-one, by the amount of turns in the horns )

Doing the Circle Road and the Fayi loop produced an Inguana, fork-tailed drongo, a duikertjie (no pic) and impala.
Oh, and a dung beetle without it’s ball.

The Napi loop produced some sleeping buffs. It was middag and I knew our timing was off.

At Shitlhave dam we saw some Waterbuck. I was still looking for the dams with all the ellies bathing and playing …… , was I truly in the wrong place

Transport Dam…. Yippee – a dam that was producing some livelihood.
On the other side of the dam, some waterbuck were resting when the male stood up and saw that the show was on the road.
He got his girls to straighten themselves up.

He decided it was enough, and paid attention to the ‘wrestling’ game (Thanks BC and family…) -O

these dragonflies were also engaged in a wrestling game

There was a rather large monitor on the rock in front of us, but he ducked when he saw the camera.
The hippo's were lazing in the water.
At about 4 o’clock I turned the car and we headed back to camp to chill and have a rest at the campsite.
No wild chase for the gates today.

Just a last picture as a reminder to the beauty of it all….

No BBJ, no lion, no kori busted
No secretary bird, no ground hornbills

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 4 – H1-2 – H10 – H4-1

Our main aim today was to visit the dams/waterholes/ anything with water….

I promised to do only tar roads today …. (all roads to dams are gravel) :P

We travelled via the H4-1 and H12 to reach the H1-2. Our first animals were…. Guess… Impi’s.

I loved the way one of them gave me a wink…

Then some guinea fowl made us wait until the whole family had made their crossing

On the Tsokwane road some baboons entertained us.
The ‘brandwag’ jumped to an overhanging branch enquiring whether we would like to take some pics… and thought him to be so kind… :o0ps:

We saw an elephant bull, zebra, giraffe, a swainsons spurfowl sitting on a tree stump, LBR and Hornbills.

Elephant Drinking Hole

We found a bare puddle and a windmill – interesting plaque. (Am I at the right place – goodness, not even enough water for a baby ellie !!!)

Leeupan – navigator to the rescue :

FB -After leaving Tshokwane we turned in at Leeupan and found a few vultures eating something on the ground very close to the road. There was a Hooded vulture and a couple of White-headed vultures – two vultures I have never got pics of before. They actually caused a bit of a traffic jam.

No vultures today, but some beautiful geese and impi’s. We watched the impala’s put up a show of acrobatics and high jump.

Silolweni dam

Ellies and water….. YES! At last… RP, you were right – action is more North….

Watching a bull have a drink, and doing some tricks with his trunk had us in stitches.
He saw us and put his best foot forward…. Wow – I was so happy…

Then….. another bull came to the challenge and chased him away from the water, trying to claim the attention for himself…

We were enjoying this interaction between them.
MM was watching Challenger drink water and I kept an eye on Loser.
He was not a happy chappy. He stared at us, and then decided to come and find out what we found so funny.

I realized that MM did not see him approach, and as she was jittery already with the ellies, I just calmly started the car and left.

MM – why are you leaving? – I really was enjoying the ellie, and this is what we wanted to see…. and, and, and….

I had reached a safe distance and told her to look back at Loser….

MM – go, go, go, he’s still coming…..

-O -O -O

Orpen Dam

What a beautiful view I thought as I rounded the ‘afdak’. Then I saw and heard two Fish Eagle flying up river… what a sighting!

We saw hippo down in the river and two types of lizards nearby on the rocks… (I immediately thought of Toko and Mel)

H10 to follow....

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

H10 to Lower Sabie

Off to find the steenbok and a bateleur and maybe buffs …..

JN - heading up the H10 to Tshokwane this little steenbok in the shade stayed put

Fb -The H10 was more promising, with lots of zebra and wildebeest enjoying the new grass sprouting after the fires, and a large herd of buffs. We also found this Bateleur snacking on something.

We saw baboon, black-winged stilt, kudu, LBR, warthog and a tortoise and then for a long stretch nothing.

I stopped suddenly with my breath held in.

MM – what’s it…????Me – shuuuuuut, I am not sure what I saw, …

I reversed as slowly and as quietly as I could… eureka….that’s me bowled out…and I’m the only car!

She was sniffing in the air… heard something… was alerted… and then calmed down.

When she looked straight at me, there was a softness in her eyes. MM said that's not really true, but I know what I saw …. 8-)

We travelled further "feeling the feeling' - we saw (a) cat.... \O

Commotion in the air drew my attention... wow ... what a lot we got here....

and then I found their halfway house.... :lol:

Reaching Lower Sabie we turned into the camp for a drink..

Aha, and for a fleeting moment I thought I saw Dzombo taking pics of his Aloes….

Sunset Dam

Fb - We arrived at Sunset Dam to find the usual suspects – lots of hippos and birdies. We sat there for quite a while enjoying the quietness

Leachy - the conditions at sunset dam this morning were the best since my arrival
so i planted myself on the "beach" section close to sunset tree
along with a whole bunch of other lenses of all shapes and sizes
and there were some biggies

Glad to say it was a better day for me also….. some hippo and croc, yet sadly the storks were leaving,

I saw a common sandpiper – and A Wood Sandpiper. :wink:

A lifer – a white crowned plover – and more three banded plovers. I was happy.

H4-1 to skukuza

Leachy – when hippo leave the water to graze at night they also mark their territory
by spraying their dung around the area

Another point gained in the quizzie game – found your hippo spray at Lubyelubye

JN - … and then heard there had been a leopard sighting at the sausage tree down the way so we decided to head down that way and see if it was still around, cars where stopped all the way up the river as the leopard had been spotted on the other side of the river, we stopped in under the sausage tree and had coffee, there was no leopard but we did spot a Southern yellow billed hornbill (with kill ) and then a mother Pearl Spotted Owlet came to feed her baby, the baby kept an eye on us the whole time we were there

We found the sausage tree – and it had fruit on it. Can imagine one of them going ‘splat’ on your car.
I tried close-ups of the tree – yet found no owlet… :cry:

I found this guy having a snack...

Our sightings back to the camp were mostly regular game (never thought I’d say that) expect for this sighting :
Passersby said : oh it’s okey – it’s a parks vehicle.
I was a bit :? as this was the Ellie-highway-crossing to the river – what went wong :::
(I did report it to Skuk Reception who got in touch with Security)

At Skukuza camp I saw BT taking a pic of a water lily and followed suite…

And then a history picture for the grandchildren ….

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 5 Part 1 H1-2 - S36 Nhlangleni rd – S125 N’waswitontso rd – H1-3 - Satara

RP – Dams for prospective Kruger visitors.....

I rolled this thread up and put it on the dashboard of the car – today we will continue with RP’s dams, and meet up with FB at Satara.

As we left camp we saw LVB, said our goodbye’s and thanked him for his navigations skills on our trip.

LVB - a fuel stop at Skukuza, - We headed down Eloff street. There we saw our 1st Buffalo of the trip and then a lioness and cubs to complete the Fatastic 7 - what a feeling to say that

Just outside the gate we found this Waterbuck all on it’s ownsome, lonesome having a scwimpy breakfast.

This web-tree, and many more like it, made me think of spiders having a x-mas celebration all year round…no wonder they labour in happiness…

We saw some beautiful giraffe in the road just before our turnoff to s36.

Mantimahle dam still closed…..
Nwatindlopfu dam still closed

Jones’s dam had some white-faced duck and Egyptian geese. A grey heron, and a starling entertaining us….

We were too early at the Manzimphophe water hole.

We were keeping our eyes open for sable as I thought it was on this stretch Aat saw his sable.
The bush was quiet and we were the only car for the entire trip so far. The growth was higher than the car and right up to the road.
Doing the hop-along over corrugated sand roads, we were busy with our own thoughts when a baby ellie stepped into the road some meters ahead.

I stopped immediately and listened.
I could hear branches breaking and knew the mommy and/or herd was nearby. We waited.

Baby went back into the bush, and re-appeared two steps forward. We waited and we listened.
I couldn’t decide whether they were moving on or still stationary and eating.. but I knew that baby is no good news for me. We waited.

Baby disappeared back into the bush at an angle that seemed to being heading forward, away from us.
Eventually we decided to pass the spot.
As I idled along, we scanned the bush, when the next moment the cow was right next to me, and all I could see was her eyes and her trunk.
While excellarating, I could hear the trumpets in the background, and I called back….. I didn’t take your baby!

Munywini road still closed
Vutumi road still closed

Lugmag dam was beautiful.
I liked the shape of the dam – could imagine a badge in that shape. Herewith showing the variety of wild that were grazing around.

Only about 500m from the Nhlanguleni picnic spot, I saw her…. Beautiful. I slowly rolled nearer and hoped to be able to spend some time with her.

I remembered reading somewhere that after a chase of 30sec they have to rest for about an hour, before their next chase – I stand to be corrected. I wondered at what stage she was now – only starting her rest or is she about rested.

We spent more than half an hour with her, before she moved on. Wow
– and couldn't help thinking how Mr JJ missed out…

On the S125 I called RP to note that I found some Buffs wanting to have a muddy bath.
I promised the buffs I would tell RP there was no water for them to play in..

We saw some beautiful giraffes..

Mhisini mond was very dry.

We saw tortoise on the way and some good looking trees,

This one reminded of a good relationship…

And this one of a whirlwind lifestyle….

On the H1-3 one of the first animals we saw was a lonely bull.
He was behind a bush near to the road.
We discussed the fact that I wanted to take a picture of this bull, but I had to stop right in front of him to do this.
We were not in a hurry, so I patiently waited until the ‘no’ changed to a very hesitant ‘okey’.

Marheya dam was quiet – once again timing. We sat around and watched some impalas move around.

Nkaya pan had a few hippos lazing in the water. It was nearing midday and was comfortably hot.

The first sighting again was an ellie bull. He had the longest tusks of this trip.
I was taking pics of him and MM was at ease as he was on the other side of the N’wanetsi river bank.
I really wished I could see him nearer…. not knowing my wish would soon come true.

We moved on to Satara and had some toasted sarmies and liquids.
We spent time watching the animals at the drinking hole, stared at the Fever tree, and was amused by the ‘fat-café-cat’ starlings.
The hornbills also jumped in for a piece to scrounge.

FB, her dad and son waived us they were ready to leave…. Whoop … here we go again.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Day 5 Part 2 H1-3 SATARA TO H4-1 SKUKUZA

A few hundred meters from Satara, I came across my ‘huge’ N’wantsi Ellie – the one I wished I could see closer. O/\
Phew. He is big, he is magnificent, he is all elephant. I noticed a smaller one coming up behind him, and brought the camera out to start taking some pictures. The light was right, I had stopped at the right angle… and…. [O]

I jumped in my seat as the diesel bakkie revved while passing me at a fast speed. I was so in thought, I did not hear it come.
I wanted to shout out…. MIND THE ELLIES…. :shock:
But, he dodged them, braked, revved, blew his hooter, swerved out and passed behind the second ellie, with a nick to spare.
The elephants had started running by the sound of this engine and when he had passed, the second ellie turned round and trumpeted - making his annoyance well known.

Was this why I felt the Ellies in the park were aggro? :twisted:
I sat and watched them walk away- looking back over his shoulder with disgust. Eish.

We waved goodbye to FB and her family O00 Z1

FB -We got onto the H1-3 for our trip down to LS and spotted a lazy rhino in the distance. As we crossed the Sweni, we saw a few cars stopped and something in the road…a very regal-looking lion
Then another and another….10 altogether!!!
They were very alert, moving towards the Sweni River. A couple of warthogs caught their eye and they looked very interested, but obviously decided they needed something a bit bigger. They disappeared through the lala palms so we decided to turn back and take the Sweni road to see if we could intercept them, and a couple of other cars followed suit. We drove very slowly scanning the bush and soon found two females sitting on the nearside bank. The others must have been in the riverbed, and after sitting there for a while we decided to move on.

This hyena crossed the road towards the warming sun.
And finally, a rhino that was close enough for some pics

On our way to the Boabab tree we saw some giraffes and rhino in the distant.
What a beautiful tree.. and we heard afterwards that a leopard roams around there often. :wink:

This last trip was filled with Ellies and I enjoyed each one. 0Y
This one acted strangely – flapping her ears and then kept her busy with something in the grass – and then warning us again to keep our distance.
I couldn’t really see what it was.
When I cropped the pic, I could see that there was an animal lying (??) in the grass.

The next Ellie bull had some tusk-ache (only my story).
He wedged his tusk between two branches and put pressure on it pulling it away from his face.
At first I thought he was stuck. Shame man. :( :(

Then we heard a truck coming and he removed his tusk – and he stood around O** O** – innocent as the sunset.

When the engine noise had gone…. He lifted his tusk and wedged it again, putting pressure on it once more. :D
Sure somebody would know the ‘true’ story of this behavior.

Passing Tshokwane we saw some vultures taking a breather….

We travelled at a slow speed as we were well within our time limit.
As we were nearing a small hill in the road, right in front of us….. 4 lionesses came strolling down the road – towards us.
Covered in goose bumps I got the camera ready.
They were going to be right here,
or, right there,
but very near.
I was so excited. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

One big army truck with men on the back stopped next to me.
With my hands I pleaded, please wait, please wait.
He pumped the diesel pedal of that Unimog-thing, put his hazards on and went.
Man……..would that have killed him to wait….. well, maybe… so I could be wrong. :oops: :cry:

The lionesses scrambled into the bush…. No, they actually fled.
I sat waiting, and waiting, and waiting.
Any cars that stopped, I told them I saw an impala run into the bush and they would leave, thinking.. stupid woman. \:/
Eventually I traced them, and these were the best pics I could get.

We saw baboons and a chameleon.
And then I smiled … :D .. Ground Hornbill. How beautiful.
Four ladies walking the parade just for us. I luvvvved that.

Back at the campsite my friend picked up my mood and handed me a glass….. O/\
Let’s do the Amarula-thing… !!!
During the night I woke with the noise of a Lion roar….
And thought - I’ll be coming back ...

No BBJ - no kori busted
No secretary bird...

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”