Aat & Elly Stories 1 to 20 *

aat

Aat & Elly Stories 1 to 20 *

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 01 – What a Beauty !!

FIRST story of our last trip nov/dec 2011
This trip was a birthday present for my beloved wife Elly, who turned 50 during this trip.

And what a trip it was… many great, special, beautiful sightings, the weather was good, meeting / making friends in different camps. The special birthday cake made in Satara by wonderful staff in the restaurant kitchen (thanks !!)

Time to start the new series of stories.

This story starts when we decided at december 8th to drive the S36. Always been a great road for us with many great sightings in the past.
Nature is beautiful…. We were enjoying all the pallet of green, the flowering trees and every time all these just born impala babies… so tiny, so fragile.

Suddenly my eyes spotted something at the right side of the road, maybe 20 meters from the road and with a better look…. Wowwwww what a surprise.

A first look at this beauty … male Sable sitting in the grass, very relaxed and like us enjoying life…
-
-

Afraid this guy would dispappear we made no noice hoping he would stay for some minutes… In most cases they are shy and disappear into the bush… but we were lucky this time. He was really posing for us… after I told him he would be on the internet.

-
-

He moved his head slowly from left to right and back…as a professional model…

-
-
and
-
-

Time to make a close-up of him. More in details…what a set of horns ..wowww… looks like about a meter long
-
-

After about 5 minutes posing he decided to stand up and no…he did not walk away immediately but showed himself again this way…. And… just for ourselves , no other cars just a private show.

-
-

and more in close-up

-
-

Enjoy the last few shots before he walked away into the bush again.

-
-

-
-

Last shot where he was “saying” thanks for joining me and see you again

-
-

This was sure one of the great and special sightings during this trip.

Just before Christmas a story / sighting that fits …

We felt very lucky with this sighting knowing that many are looking for them for years without seeing them.

End of first story of this new series, hope you like it….. many more to come ….

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com
Last edited by aat on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Re: Aat & Elly Story 15 - What a beauty!

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
This is not a day to day TR, all stories are based on sightings during our last trip from november 26th 2011 till december 14th 2011.

Story 02 – A nice surprise

We just visited Mpondo dam with a wonderful sighting of a large herd of Buffalo. On the way back following the S102 and then turn-off to S26/H5, after a few hundred meter we suddenly saw this Lion just near the road.

Very relaxed the lion was kind of posing

-
-

If you see one lion you allways look around if there more, but so far this one was just alone
So a nice opportunity to look at him and making a few more shots

-
-

Just at the moment we were saying to each other he was just on his own some movement 50 meters ahead and another lion showed up, this time a lioness

-
-
and
-
-

But family was not complete yet…. With the lioness two cubs showed themselves…

-
-

The lions were just next to the road. Their position was just a bit higher then road level so we could see them very well and they moved a bit closer so we could almost touch them…

-
-

Moms decided it was enough and with the cubs she disappeared in the ticker bush behind the road…
So back to the other lion who moved to a termite-hill and still relaxed the lion was posing wonderfully

-
-

-
-

With a great yawning by the lion we left this quiet wonderful sighting

-
-

During our trip we have seen over 80 lions so I will write some more stories about them.
It was remarkable that we have seen so many cubs..always a pleasure !!

End of first story of this new series, hope you like it….. many more to come ….

Elly and I wish you a healthy and wonderful 2012

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Post by aat »

It really was Leachy !!
Trip report will continue for "some" time , you can count on that

TO ALL FRIENDS AROUND.... A WONDERFUL, LOVELY, HEALTHY 2012 AND AS PERSONAL HOPE A 2012 WITHOUT HOTELS AT THE WRONG PLACES ..... MEANING HOTEL-FREE-KRUGER.

leachy wrote:

hey aat.

'twas indeed lovely to meet you and elly at croc bridge....

lovely trip report thus far and i look forward to our next meeting..

take good care in the winter of the nederland ........
Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 03 – Encounter with 2 Black Rhino’s

Even it helps just 0,0001 percent against poaching I will not mention the exact loction of this encounter. Let’s say it was somewhere in the south

History…I have been many many times in this area in the south, many times driving that little road … many times thinking about seeing black rhino again. Years ago I saw one near this road, but was not able to photograph him. Over the years I have seen lions, leopards and lots of white rhino’s. This year on Elly’s birthday trip and maybe the 5th time this trip I took this gravelroad again. Late afternoon… 1 hour before closing time (18:30) and somehow there was this special thrill in me… not knowing what was going to happen…
And this after a great great day with the so called big 5 and cheetah, was this going to be a Super 7 day ??

Driving slowly (what else…) and just after a “corner” something at the right … No…! Yessssssssss…. Immediately recognized…Black Rhino… Feeling heart pounding… unsure…are they staying or taking off ? Motor off… window was down…camera check..ready and wowwwwwwww first pictures.

Enjoy this sighting with us again….

-
-

and

-
-

A bit zooming in…

-
-

Pffffffff… what a special feeling… having seen them again…and confirmation to myself…yess all these years driving around for them here…and unbelievable… here they are… lots of feelings going through the mind and body… no… are they leaving ?

-
-

But nooo… this special day all was going right… they were too curious (specially mother) to leave… she turned again and came closer…slowly walking towards us…pfffffff

-
-

Mother was getting a bit closer , where was het child ?

-
-

There… the youngster was following mom…. As it should be and is described with Black Rhino… child walks Behind mother as one of the differences with white rhino where the babies / youngsters are walking in front of the mother

-
-

Mother was still walking slowly towards us

-
-

I was thinking at that moment..are we save…suppose she starts to run …what to do… motor off and probably too late if she starts chasing us….but…mmmhhh maybe once you will see them so good, well and close… so…we stayed…without making any noise…

-
-

Ohhh my… still approaching …but in a relaxed and I think curious way she came closer and closer…
Could not resist to make more shots… almost close-ups without zooming out…
This next photo was with 190mm

-
-

She was standing still now… using ears and nose… what was in front of her..? (Hope she likes my aftershave…)

-
-

Again coming a bit closer …this was maximum… and really… heart pounding… fighting against going away…and making close-up… At that moment stories about attacking / aggressive black rhino’s are going like a flash through your mind… but still convincing Elly and myself that she was relaxed we stayed…

-
-

-
-

Maybe hearing a “click” by my camera she took off …wowww… what a speed with turning around and running away…. This wat it ?

-
-

No again….mother stopped so child stopped and about 50 meters ahead they started to look again…. Are all mothers (ladies) that curious ???
She just started to check the leaves

-
-

-
-

A few last pictures of posing mother and younster before they left into the bush… It almost looked like saying goodbye

-
-

Byeee Black Rhino’s … Thank youuuuu !!

-
-

Wowwwwwwwwww…. Amazing…. So lucky…. Elly and I looked into each others eyes and shaked our heads…. Like saying and understanding… impossible but what a day…. We called it Super 7 day…. Returning to camp … quiet and thinking about this special encounter… sometimes laughing and saying..I knew they live here…I knew… and after about 5 years they showed themselves…. for about 10 minutes looking at Black Rhino’s…
It was just our 4th day and this made the trip already unforgettable…

End of this story , first in 2012 , hope you like it….. and… many more to come ….

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 4 – Baby Boom

November – december, known as the baby boom time for Impala’s...but... :wink: :wink:

During this trip we have seen many many babies/youngsters but not just Impala.
I think I do not have to add much text so enjoy the little ones I could capture from south to north and back to the south…

Since I have many pictures I will split this story into part I and II.

Let’s start with the Impala’s

On of the first we saw was on our first day in Kruger, november 26th.

-
-
and
-
-

and
-
-

A little bit focussed on the Impala’s but not closing the eyes for other babies.
So next to Impala’s I also like to show you other youngsters who just just opened their eyes with in the background the songs “Born to be wild” and “Ohhh baby baby it’s wild world..”

Warthog babies
-
-

Always adorable are the baby elephants… this one so close to us with a very proud and relaxed mother…allowing us to look at her baby from a little distance.
Mommmm…I need some good milk…

-
-

Not really a baby anymore but such a lovely young hyena… to cute..

-
-

Later on… we found a den with about 16 hyena’s but related to this story a mother with 3 youngsters

-
-

In camp the Blue Velvet’s are not always welcome…. But looking at this is letting you say..ohhhhh…. the care…the attention…

-
-
and
-
-

Where you find babies with the antelopes you need some luck with little lion cubs..
What happened … driving from Skukuza towards Lower Sabie…just on the main road halfway… out of nothing a pride came out of the bush , walked a few hundred meters on the main road before leaving in the bush again…about being at the right place at the right time and…. A wonder…. Almost no other cars at the moment… 11.00 o’clock

-
-

-
-

(later on a story about this pride with all other members)

More Impala babies with their mother or together in small classes…

-
-

-
-
and

-
-

-
-

Let’s going north … and near Tihongonyeni waterhole we found this zebra baby..

-
-

-
-

Driving to Mooiplaas along the road a nice surprise with this Tsessebe mother and baby

-
-

And ending this Part I with a just born wildebeast…. You can even see the umbilical

-
-

Hope you like this story and as promised a Part II will follow later.

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 05 – Fly like an Eagle…..

During our trip we have seen many birds…small and large…

Sometimes lucky when the birds were not too far away but many times too far to make a good picture.
Checking the pictures I made a selection I like to share with you…. I am not a birder , not that familiar with names. Some I think I know but several I just don’t know. If we go into juvenile , pale versions etcetera I get lost… so…my friends ….I need your help

Let’s start with some beautiful eagles we have seen the first few days of our trip

(1)
-
-
(2)
next one was a Martial Eagle.. one of my favourites
-
-
(3)
and this beauty …
-
-

Next to the Eagles we met several birds in or close to water like this one

(4)
Saddle billed Stork
-
-

It was early morning … very early when we left Crocodile Bridge and followed the small road S130 when we saw this Owl…posing so nicely and on the ground , so no branches taking away a good view
(5)
Giant Eagle Owl
-
-

Another great Eagle posing in a tree and checking the area for dinner
(6)

-
-

Conversation between two eagles
(7)
-
-

Majestic…. Arrogant…but great to see the Secretary Bird
(8)

-
-

and completely different near the water this ?
(9)

-
-

Storks spending their holidays in Kruger… one the many we have seen, but this one made a nice pose for the camera.
(10)

-
-

Some birds do have wonderful colours and being lucky with the right light with this one… a Lilac Breated Roller ?
(11)

-
-

Another Martial Eagle. We have seen several in different parts of the Kruger but most too far to make great pics. This one was not that far and good visible
(12)

-
-

Behaviour of birds… sometimes one is able to spot them at the right moment… the “love birds” were “talking” to each other for some time before their first kiss ….
(13)

-
-

Not a yellow submarine but a Yellow Billed Stork was trying to catch a fish… funny to see him/her walking in the water , paying attention to a crocodile not far away…
(14)

-
-

I think we all have seen this Pied Kingfisher on or near a bridge…
(15)

-
-

Ducky…Ducky…Ducky…. 3 together made it more special to photograph them… just don’t know their name…but you do I hope
(16)

-
-

In our backyard in Satara this Hoop-Hoop came to see us…
(17)

-
-

Since the titel is about Eagles , another one posing nicely on a
(18)

-
-

Driving the S33 ( I think it was) small and large together on one picture… I was wondering about the small one… a kingfisher Pygmee ??
(19)

-
-
and
-
-

A birds story without the most beautiful Vultures is not complete so two together near one of the dams
The Whiteheaded Vulture
(20)

-
-

Starting with an Eagle and ending the story about the birds with Eagles
(21)

-
-

and
(22)

-
-

I hope you like this Birds episode… next episode about ehhhh

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Great pics Aat. \O

I do not have my birdbook here at the moment so some could be wrong:

1. Brown Snake Eagle
3, 6, 7, 17, 21. Tawnwy Eagle
9. Hamerkop
10. Woolley-necked Stork
19. Malachite Kingfisher
Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Richprins wrote:17 is a hoopoe, Aat (even though it is tawny in colour!) Don't believe everything Pingo tells you! -O

(Agree with the rest! \O )

Excellent pics indeed!
Hey you mad primate.
Don't call me Pingo.
It is Mr. Pingo for you.
-O -O -O -O
Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
aat

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 06 – Walk on the wild side

Hey all… another title of a story related to a song.
Maybe for this story some words have to be replaced by others… like “Hey babe by Hey cub, take a walk on the wild side”
(for the younger ones…referring to a song by Lou Reed)

I guess most of you know the tarred road between Skukuza and Lower Sabie. Sometimes it’s ok… many times used as racing circuit and often blocked by many “Hyena’s” looking at a leopard at 100+ meters sleeping in a tree.

We had one of these exceptions this time. Driving from Skukuza to Lower Sabie and road looked almost empty… we were just talking about that. Something like “looks if there will be a road block ahead , almost no cars coming our direction”.
A few minutes later some movement in front of us… animals coming out of the bush at the right side…
Well, I can try to explain all or just come with us and see what we have seen. And believe it or not but almost till the last moments of this sighting no other cars around.

First picture I made to start the story…

-
-

Coming a bit closer and using the zoom as good as possible..

-
-
and
-
-

such a lovely cub deserves a special portrait

-
-

I had to move the car all the time… since they approached so in reverse…stop the engine, standing still…making pictures….start the car…in reverse….stop ..etc… But it was worth it and we were really happy there was no other car behind us…

Some shots of one of the other ladies

-
-
and

-
-

Oopssss…. Cub in good position …change position and shoot….

-
-

Yesss… lionesses and cubs are great…. Male lions just have a bit extra… I mean more hair…

-
-

Don’t walk that fast please…. Changing position again and still no car in front or behind us… how nice the timing
This time I could make a shot of a part of the family

-
-

Two ladies coming towards me…thanks and a hug….

-
-

And where mother was …the cub could not be far… and follow me with the camera to the right…. The little spoiled single cub was posing … So I left the car and laying down on the road I made this shot…..

-
-

Hahahaha… not true !! There was a few good reasons not to do that…. One was the Sanparks rules and another was the appearance of a second male lion.

-
-

Don’t think a good idea to meet this guy and to have a “walk on the wild side” with him

Let me finish this story with a portrait of this beautiful mister

-
-

Some minutes later some other cars came closer and the lions decided to move into the bush again… We were looking at each other and said something like “weird sighting on this busy main road” and left with a big smile.

Thanks again for joining.
This sighting was one of a number special ones that day. Same day we met the Black Rhino’s (story 1) and …uhhhhh… I leave that for other stories.

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 07 – Ellie fun show

Hello again,
During this trip we have seen loads of elephants. I don’t know how you think about it, but we always take our time to have a look at them. The behaviour, the social part, the playing youngsters etcetera…

I like to show and share some of these special moments where you can see they have and make fun together.

First story within this story is about a bull in the mopani area… We stopped since he had to cross the small road and giving way is always a good choice…
But this guy had something to do…. Like most of us we use our hands to scrub
Well, let’s start off with the appearance of this bull
-
-

** tip for tusker –lovers… make such pictures , makes it easy to remember where you have seen him…..lollllllll -O -O

This bull was and curious…he was looking at us all the time and he was using the road sign for other purposes

-
-

ahhhhhhh….mhhhhhhh… wowwww… how nice…. :lol: :P

-
-

just a bit more…. Pfffff…. Lovely this scrub-stone…why are you looking at me ? ^0^

-
-

Finally decided to move on with a nice smile on his face :) :)
-
-

second situation…
Mopani area , new Tihongonyeni waterhole

I am a big bull and this place is for us not for you buffalo…move on….go away :evil: :evil:

-
-

Heyyyyyyy hello…. I am happy to meet you… just left my herd , mother sent me away and I am so lonely… like to make new friends… I am Bully and you ? 0:0

-
-

The social part….

Two friends walking up together… was just a nice view these two relaxed bulls. They were on their way to a special meeting…

-
-

A little bit futher the meeting already started… about what..?
As I said the waterhole Tihongonyeni changed a lot… these bulls were discussing about the Buffalo problem. For years the waterhole was used by antelopes and other smaller species but after the change…. Buffalo herd after buffalo herd is visiting this new wonderful place…
Bulls not happy so meeting arranged and in “no-time” about 15 bulls came together

-
-

and

-
-

We have never seen so many bulls in that area together. One day we could count 42 bulls in the Tihongonyeni area. Among them….yess…. my special friend Marhumbini :D (named tusker)
So special to see him 3 trips on a row…more about that later.

Next situation…. We had a good laugh looking at these ellies
A small herd was using this water to play and drink …

-
-

Most of the ellies had left the water but one was playing around

-
-

and

-
-

One of the younger ellies was afraid for water (it looks like) :oops: so he decided not to go in but taking a seat near the water….

-
-

A family member did not like this at all and tried to persuede the other one to move… sitting on his butt…. We had a good laugh here…. Like a comedy -O -O

-
-

Not far from that place we came near a dam where ellies were following diving classes… :o :o

-
-

The trunks can be used for so many purposes… one is for snorkeling

-
-

Close your eyes and try to hear the trumpet noice … at least we did hear it ..fading away when the elephant disappeared under water…. Kind of blubbbb….was last we heard…

-
-

Almost thinking there are whales or big sharks too in kruger… no it was an ellie , in training for the olympics…. Free style z0z

-
-

After all this diving it is good to socialize again… “ hey friend , it is lovely here”

-
-

and final shot here….

-
-

Thanks for being with us again , hope you like this story. Telling how much pleasure these ellies can give…just taking time and watch…

Probably but not sure next stoy is about one of the great cats … Cheeeee….rrrsss [O]

Aat & Elly

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”