Kruger - Balm of the Soul *

Katja

Re: Kruger - Balm of the Soul (Kamadejo)

Post by Katja »

The rest of the drive was very quite, but still wonderful being out there in the bush. A Impala ram with a broken horn and another very tired Impala came across our way.

It seemed that most animals were resting in the shades somewhere, except this Giraffe

and Grey-Louries, which flew off to take a drink in a nearby puddle. I tried again to get them in
flight, well again a blurred pic.

The last sighting before we reached Lake Panic was a Slender Mongoose, I have never seen so many
mongooses in one trip.

At Lake Panic were a few cars and we were lucky to get a seat and enjoy this wonderful place. I could have sit there for ages, it is like watching a fantastic movie. Birds coming and going, so many different calls, especially the Fish-Eagles entertained us a lot.

The Hippos weren't interested to come nearer and were really lazy.

There were lots of Grey Herons and sure the well known African Darter

I was hoping to see a Malachite Kingfisher, but had no luck. Instead a Giant Kingfisher was so kind to come a bit closer.

Pied Kingfishers were hovering and flew past us so fast, that I never got a pic of them close by. The only pic we got is this.

There are so many different species at Lake Panic. Denise spotted a water monitor and it seemed it was on
a mission. Oh, I wished I had a bigger lens, it was strange to sit between people with huuuuuuge lenses. One visitor had a 800mm Canon lens , well we had a good chat (sure very quietly!!) about lenses and again I learnt something. Here are two more birds which shouldn't miss, a African Jacana and a great Egret

Johanna found a little caterpillar and while we were watching the birds, she built a safe "home" for it.
Well, a few days later when we returned it was still there.

We returned to Skukuza and started our braai early, as we had to pack. The next day we were going to Orpen and had a meet before at Satara.

To be continued.....

Katja

Re: Kruger - Balm of the Soul

Post by Katja »

1st August

Today we had to go up to Orpen and wanted to meet OWN for lunch at Satara before, a long way so we decided to take the tar road. The day started with a beautiful sunrise and we stopped several times to take pics

Plenty of game was around, a Common Waxbill, Brown-hooded Kingfisher, Impies, Bushbocks, Ellies and much more. It was still a bit too dark to get good pics, so we just enjoyed these sightings. An African Harrier Hawk was looking for a morning prey

and this „Ninja“ Squirrel gave us a good laugh.

The bush was full of life and every now and then we spotted something, well no predators , but for instance again a Commun Duiker. Somehow it seems that every morning one came out of the bush to say hello.

We saw this raptor, which was identified as a Tawny.

Before we reached Tshokwane for a loo break and coffee, we had a look at Leeupan and Slolweni-Dam, but only a few water birds were present. These Waterbucks were on their way to have a drink, they were gorgeous and the one in front scrunched its nose. I don’t if he did so due to us looking at him or if he didn’t like the Bateleur hovering nearby.

We found another Brown-hooded Kingfisher, this time in better light.

I tried to get a pic when it took off, but again my attempt resulted in a blurred pic.

I bet all of you know how time runs fast while driving around in the park, especially if you stop for each animal on the way. How can one not stop at a cute sighting of a little Zebra foal drinking?!

It was soooo cute and Denise was over the moon, as it is her favourite animal.

We couldn’t resist of the charme of these two beauties either.

Finally we arrived at the picnic spot and Johanna had to run for the loo, afterwards she had fun again chasing away all the cheeky hornbills. We made pics of them with bacon in their bills. They are really little thieves. I had a quick coffee and was on the hunt for birds. It is awesome to see so many different species. There were several Crested Barbets and a male Bennett’s Woodpecker.

While I was trying to get a pic of the Woodpecker, Matthias had fun to take a pic of me. :evil:

I think I have to take the tripod next time to look more professional.

.... to be continued with our drive up to Satara.

Katja

Post by Katja »

We left Tshokwane and continued our way to Satara. Again we saw a lot of general game, these Warthog family just disappeared. They are so funny to watch with their tails
up.

Close by a Giraffe and this little bird. Once again it is one of those which are so difficult to ID

A car stopped us on the way and told us about lions which had taken down a buffalo in the morning. WOW, maybe we would still see them later, as we all know lions are lazy, especially after such a meal. At a dam were Impalas quenching their thirst, all side by side, while a Grey Heron took a ride on a hippo. We saw plenty of Grey Herons enjoying such a ride, seems they have an annual ticket.

A lone Waterbuck was dozing in the shade and only lifted its head to get rid off the flies and a quite a huge Kudu family was on the other side of the road.

Altough we wanted to be in time for lunch we couldn’t resist of driving the S86. It was a good decision, as we have never seen so many Giraffe before in one spot. They were everywhere and we counted at least 9 of them. These two were so gorgeous and stayed together the whole time.

It was such a lovely scenery, the red sand, blue sky and some lovely clouds.

Then we spotted our first Nyalas, there were two males in the dry riverbed and difficult to photograph due to the grass. Luckely they moved over the mound and we could

Back on the H1-3 we noticed an Ellie with impressive tusks, I don’t know if he could be one of those named ones and unfortunately he was too far away to get detailed pics.

The last sightings before we reached the camp were a little Ellie family with adorable little ones, a Brown Snake Eagle and as it was a Giraffe’s morning .... another pretty Giraffe.

On the little bridge just before Satara were several cars, a nice couple told us that there was supposed to be a leopard somewhere, but no one spotted it. If there had been one, I can imagine that it was underneath the street. Well, all moved on and so did we as OWN was waiting for us. It was lovely meeting OWN and his family and we chatted a bit while having lunch. We told them about the lion kill and as they moved on to Tamboti we met each other from time to time on our way to Orpen later.

Before we left Satara, one of the camp staff pointed out three Scops Owls to us, wow they were really lovely and as we haven’t seen the resident one at Afsaal were flabbergasted.

...... to be continued

Katja

Post by Katja »

Let’s continue. We were on our way to Orpen and wanted to look, if the lions were still at the kill. As we got a detailed description where to find them it was not difficult, well there were several cars at the kill anyway so we just couldn’t drive past. Before we stopped at the Nsemani Dam and watched hippos lazily laying around and this lovely Ellie, Girivana.

Arriving at the kill, there were vultures everywhere. On the ground with a piece of bone, on the trees and the only thing we saw of a lion was this.

He was laying next to the buffalo carcass, his belly in the air and dozing. Sometimes you could see a paw being lifted or his tail flicking. Typical for a well fed lion.

So we continued and saw this heavily pregnant Zebra and a lone Buffalo in golden light.

It was getting late and I was keen on arriving in daylight, as I wanted to see „my“ waterhole. Well we managed so, but couldn’t resist watching a herd of ellies taking a mud bath and playing. It was already getting darker, but *sigh* this was amazing to watch.

Unfortunately we had to leave this gorgeous herd, but you know, you leave one sighting and are rewarded with another one. We noticed a movement on the right side and couldn’t believe it, there were two male lions who just left their kill. They were far off, but lions are lions. At the kill two Black-backed Jackals had their feast.

And again Vultures where waiting for their turn.

Shortly before reaching the camp another Ellie herd moved towards the setting sun. We loved this scenery and I wondered if those ellies might come for a drink in the night.

Orpen is a wonderful camp and the check in was great and we got cottage No. 15 I had requested for. A pity that Rosinah wasn’t there, as I wanted to thank her personally for her help. We unpacked the car and enjoyed an Amarula outside, watching the waterhole with a full moon.
There was a Hyena and Buffalos, gorgeous!

If I had known what the next day had in store for us, believe me I wouldn’t have been able to sleep.

... to be continued with a very emotional sighting for me.

Katja

Post by Katja »

2nd August 2011

I woke up and got ready quickly to enjoy the peaceful morning outside with a first coffee. The cottage is absolutely fantastic! There were animals at the waterhole, but I didn’t have the camera ready. I didn’t mind and just indulged in the atmosphere. Johanna was so tired this morning that she refused to get dressed, well no problem, with her pyjamas on she was carried into the car. Later we told her, that this might have been the reason for all the sightings we had that day. From there on she had her pyjamas on every morning we left camp and only get dressed after an hour or so.

The morning greeted us again with a beautiful sunrise.

Our plan was to do the Rabelais Loop. On the way we turned in towards N’wamatstsa Waterhole and this is what we saw shortly after.

Another Hyena den, we couldn’t believe it. There was another car in front of us, which soon turned and drove off. It was such a lovely sighting, that we couldn’t believe that they were not interested in watching this interaction. There were Hyenas everywhere and we had to keep an eye at the back all the time, as an adult was sneaking around behind us.
The little ones were so cute and cheeky. One looked more like a little fluffy teddy bear. They were greeting each other and playing in the middle of the road.

Sorry to bore you with all those Hyena pics, but I just couldn’t make up my mind which pics I should leave out.
Especially one little male was in a playing mood and chased the older Hyenas, he was trying to bite into the hint legs, much to our amusement.

Some of the youngster were really curious and came very close to the car, but soon left again to join the others.

These two stopped their morning play and watched the others punishing the smallest of the group.

It didn’t took long before they joined the group again.

They had so much energy and it was awesome to watch them all on our own. We heard a lion roaring, but it seemed he was far away. We stayed with the Hyenas till they had enough of playing and vanished into the bush.

We moved on as well and spotted a Black-backed Jackal strolling around.

Little did we know what else KNP would reveal!

... to be continued

Katja

Post by Katja »

After the awesome Hyena sighting we continued and soon spotted other life in the bush. A Lilac brested Roller wasn't on its own, as a couple of squirrels accompanied him on the tree. It seemed they all were freezing, although the squirrels warmed each other.

Next up was a lovely Korhaan, not willing to lift the head.

There were some cars on the Rabelais Loop and they all seemed to be in a hurry, especially the Safari vehicles. Well, pity for them, as they all drove past this cute Pearl-spotted Owlet.

We enjoyed this sighting and had plenty of time. Another Safari Jockey overtook quite fast and as there was a junction we decided not to follow the car, but instead to turn left into a little loop. What a good decision this was. As we came to the end where you have to turn I suddenly spotted white tufts of hair at tails and as this was quite in a distance wasn’t sure immediately of what it was. Denise immediately said Wild Dogs!!!!

We couldn’t believe it and I happily started taking pics over pics of them. There were at least 4 dogs and suddenly one of them started to walk towards us.

We were the only car at this point, all other cars (especially the Safari vehicles) were on the other road, from where they couldn't see them as good as we could. We noticed that one turned and was on his way in this loop. Who cares! The doggies came nearer and nearer and there were even more. One of them had an urgent need and relieved itself next to our car.

One dog after the other arrived and there were at least 8 or 9 altogether.

They looked well fed and sometimes stopped to look around, good for us to take pics. Unfortunately all was over too soon.

It was one of my wishes to see Wild Dogs, but I never ever expected that it would come true. I was really touched and the rest of the family had a good laugh. Those dogs were so close that sometimes I couldn’t take any pics, moreover I forgot all about settings and light. What a day!

We continued and although I wasn’t really able to spot anything due to emotional state, it was me who spotted the next highlight.
A Boomslang warming up in a tree.

A Bateleur was hovering in the sky and nearby some Impalas were grooming each other.

Just before we reached the H7 again, a Dwarf Mongoose said hello.

to be continued.....

Katja

Post by Katja »

We drove on and took the turn off to Bobbejaankrans, where a car stopped us. It was Norms, who noticed our YR. Unfortunately he was working, so we only could chat for a few minutes, exchanging our sightings. He told us about a leopard on the road which we had just missed. It was great meeting you Norms and it would be lovely meeting you again next year. \O

On our way again, we saw general game like a female Nyala, lots of Yellow-billed Hornbills, a Crested Francolin and a majestic Kudu bull.

The Timbavati road was very quiet, sure Impalas weren’t missing this morning and especially this couple gave us a good laugh.

„Close your eyes and relax“

„I got it!“

„Oh no, someone is watching us!“

We had been driving for a while without seeing anything, finally we found a herd of buffalos, some grazing, some sleeping and some having a „Tree spa“

After all the sightings we had in the morning, we didn’t complain about the few game on this road, but decided to turn and go back to camp, to enjoy a relaxed afternoon there, moreover Denise and I wanted to do a sunset drive and still had to book it.

On the way back, we suddenly saw two Secretary birds, we have never seen them before and so we happily ticked them off! They weren’t keen on getting photographed and it was quite a challenge to get a pic. They vanished into the bush and took off. This is the only pic I managed.

Back on the H7 we had more luck with game and saw a small herd of ellies. This little one was curious, but followed mummy immediately as she moved on.

We drove to a lookout point and the road was crowded with baboons and impalas crossing.

All the way we tried to find the „Orpen leopard“, but to no avail. The lions also didn’t wanted to show up again. Instead a lone Wildebeest rested in the shade of a tree and two Zebras were cuddling.

We arrived in camp at about 1.30 pm and there were some Zebras at the waterhole accompanied by a lone Wildebeest and two Warthogs. Denise and I booked the sunset drive, but had to come back later to check if it would take place, as we were the only guests till then. Luckily two other visitors booked later and so we were only 4 people on the drive.

We decided to have a quick meal, as it would be too late for Johanna to have braai later. While cooking, we had two visitors nearby. These two Warthogs were mowing the gras.

It was so relaxing to watch the wildlife in the camp and at the waterhole. There were many a bird in camp, but I just enjoyed watching them. Okay I couldn't resist when I heart two Brown-headed parrots calling each other and were flying from tree to tree. I sneaked as close as I could to one of them and snapped away.

Soon it was time for Denise and me to leave. When we arrived at the meeting point an Ellie herd arrived at the waterhole. It was quite a big herd and I would have loved to watch them till they left, but our guide came and introduced herself and off we went.

The drive started with general game, such as Wildebeests, Giraffes and Zebras. It got darker and darker, moreover colder and colder. Denise and I had to share one blanket, which was just not enough for two people, sitting on each side of the vehicle. Well, we still enjoyed the drive, although we were freezing.

The sunset was again breathtaking.

The guide took the Rabelais Loop, as she had heart of the Wild dogs. Unfortunately the road was very quite and not much game appeared. Moreover the other two guests were a father and son, of which the son had the spotlight. I don’t really blame the boy as he was rather young, but it was difficult to spot anything on his side as he moved the light too fast. Finally we saw our first glooming eyes, a Bushbaby!

They are really cute. What a shame that it soon disappeared. We were back on the H-7 and spotted some more eyes in the dark , a Barn Owl, wow, a first for us.

Some Ellies were busy eating beside of the road, it is a strange feeling to see them at night, they look much bigger. I still hoped to find lions, but we didn’t find any, nor even heart them roaring. Only a lone Black-backed Jackal showed up.

The drive was nearly over, when Denise spotted something in a distance. We had to point both spot lights in the direction, so our guide could ID the animal. It was a small spotted Genet. Another first one for us!

Well, it is not the best pic and I hope you can see what it is.

The last animal on the drive was this White-tailed Mongoose, I don’t know if it is the „Bianca“ which showes up on the cam from time to time. The Mongoose didn’t turn around and vanished into the bush immediately, but we were really happy to have seen it.

Back at camp we told Matthias all about the drive and soon went to bed to warm up.

To be continued „back to Skukuza“.....

Katja

Post by Katja »

3rd August 2011

I woke up really early and quickly got dressed to enjoy my morning coffee outside. It was a sad morning, as we had to leave Orpen. Well I had some lovely company while nipping the coffee, 4 ellies came to the waterhole, although only two came for a drink. I heard the water dripping and watched them, smiling all over the face. What a wonderful farewell committee.

We finally packed the car and were off to go back to Skukuza. Again a wonderful sunrise welcomed the day.

The first thing we checked was the Hyena den, but unfortunately they were not at home. The plan was to take the S140, S145 and then the S36. The first part was full of game.
We watched Giraffes in the beautiful light, especially these three caught our eye.... the little ones were really cute and while mummy was foraging from a bigger tree, both of them found themselves a smaller one.

The silhouettes of the Giraffes against the morning sun were amazing sigh and we could have watched them longer, but had to do quite a long drive today. So on we went, but soon came to an halt. Next to the road was a tired Black-backed Jackal who didn’t felt disturbed by us.

Suddenly he lifted its head, as a nearby Gunia Fowl caught his attention. he stood up and sneaked to the nearby tree, always an eye on the bird, same flew up into the tree and started calling.

Can you spot the Fowl? He circled the tree, but finally gave up and returned to his sleeping place, yawned and went to sleep again.

It was difficult to only watch the jackal, as two Giraffes had a little argument a few meters from this place.

Two lovely sightings already! We continued our way and nothing. No really we didn’t even see a bird. On our last trip we had a lovely leopard sighting on the S140, but on this day it was absolutely quiet. Only Giraffes showed up and this one didn’t look healthy, it had a huge lump.

We saw two Zebras and a Steenbok, but too far off to get a good pic. Only this Bateleur gave us the opportunity, before flying off.

We reached the S145 and some Wildebeest were grazing near the road. Mommy kept a jealous watch over the little one.

We took a loop a bit further and noticed some Bee-Eaters, sure I tried again to get a shot in flight of one of them and ..... tratra got a blurred one again.
Gladly some of them were so kind to sit still so I could at least get a „bird sitting on twig“ pic.

A first one for this trip appeared on the middle of the road, a male Ostrich crossed the road in front of us and accompanied us a bit on our way. Well he went on, but we had to stop, as a gorgeous LBR sat on a branch and I wanted to try my luck again. You better don’t ask..... this one wasn’t in the mood to fly off.

On we went, I was convinced that one day I will get a pic of a LBR in flight! A little further we noticed this vulture circling, maybe he was the referee of these two impala rams.

or was it this little sceptical Baboon?

to be continued.....

Katja

Post by Katja »

Finally we arrived on the S36 and the first animals we noticed were Impalas. They were walking on the road in front of us and some latecomers were in a hurry to follow them.

One after the other was jumping over the little hill and we just stood there, watched and gave them time to catch up with the herd.

On the way to Lugmag Dam we spotted a Martial Eagle, Warthogs and this little fellow, a Dark Chanting Goshawk, unfortunately a bit far away.

Near the Dam the first Waterbucks appeared. I just love these shaggy animals and they were so funny munching.

Lugmag Dam was full of life, a herd of zebras approached from the other side of the dam and were quenching their thirst. Hippos lazily sunbathing and a Fish-Eagle sat in ist nest, just its head was to be seen.

I had never seen so many Waterbucks on one spot. There was a little island and many a Waterbuck crossed over to join a huge group.

There was a huge and majestic Waterbuck who was really interested in the females. He sniffed nearly at each female and we thought it might get very interesting, but it seems they didn’t had the right odor.

This little one was really cute and entertained us.

While watching the little Waterbuck, a Lilac-brested Roller landed in a bush nearby. You can imagine that I had an eye on him and waited desperately for him to fly off again. This time I was lucky and very happy we left the Dam.

We continued and witnessed our first kill on the road. I must add, that Bushcraft and The Cow had a good laugh at our kill, which we announced to them proudly on the evening we met. Well, they showed us their leopard kill and at least we saw a kill too.

A bit further on at a little waterhole was a huge herd of zebras, accompanied by Giraffes.
There was much action within the herd and they produced lots of dust.

When they calmed down a Tawny Eagle landed at the waterhole, watched the zebras for a short while and took off again.

On the last few kilometers to Skukuza we only noticed some Kudu ewes, which were looking curiously around.

We really like this antelope with its big ears and those lovely eyes.
A little bit further a Grey-go-away bird was quenching its thirst. Another car arrived and although it must have seen us standing there it came closer at high speed and scared the bird away. Well, at least we got a pic of the bird.

It seemed that most of the animals where hiding and having a doze in the shades, as only birds were to be seen. A gorgeous Bateleur and a Vulture were in the air and another juv. Bateleur was having a rest on a branch.

Other birds we found were Southern-Ground Hornbills which were busy catching some insects. It was so great watching them, everytime they found something eatable they through their heads backwards and opened their beaks. They looked so self-contented.

Just before Skukuza two little Baboons sat beside of the road. So cute, again we took several pics and the kids had much fun. This little one was a bit ashamed.

We quickly checked in and relaxed for a while in the cottage after unpacking. The view was gorgeous again, a Fish-Eagle was circling above our heads and many a bird came for a drink, as there was water flowing out of a tube.
Later Matthias and I went to Lake Panic again, while the girls wanted to stay in camp.
Lake Panic was again a gem and I would have loved to stay there for much longer. Here are some of the pics we took.

On the way back to camp we saw a couple of Bateleur with a nest nearby. Unfortunately it was already to dark to get a good pic and so we continued. Back at camp we started the fire and enjoyed the sunset and braai.

I was really looking forward to the next day, as Hayden and his family would arrive.

To be continued....

Katja

Post by Katja »

I got my new reading glasses now and I always thought the pics were okay which I posted -O -O Well with the new glasses I just noticed that this damn Watermark programm puts a light blur on them O/ O/ Just look at the difference:

I'm getting oldImage The next episodes will be without Watermark :O^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”