Lowveldboy's Daytrips *

lowveldboy

Lowveldboy's Daytrips *

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Here I will report on every daytrip I do.

1st Instalment.

Tuesday, 29 June 2011

This was a short trip, but yet a trip. I only enetered Numbi at around 08h00 and was out again at 16h00. The route was around Shabeni, down Voortrekker to Afsaal, then via the main road, with stop overs at Transport and Shitlhave dams, back to Numbi.

Sighting was not much, but yet again I did not see nothing.

The 1st stop was at Mestel, where I had hippos and Egyptian geese for company.

Headed around Fayi loop where I had vervets

Golden breasted bunting

and a Lilac breasted roller

Voortrekker delivered a buffalo carcass, with everything intact - except for the head. Predators start at the soft part (Stomach, rump), but here there was no damage, yet the skull was stripped clean. There was no vultures in-sight. Any ideas. The rest of the trek down delivered zebra and ellies. Sorry no pics. A pit stop at afsal and off I went.

Not far North and a traffic Jam. Well, I suspect I saw a leopard. I did see some kind of a tip of a tale very far off. The temp was nearing 30 and all the trees was even further way, so I did not hang around.

My next sighting turned out to be kudus -

Then at their usual spot, I found my klipspringers

Transport dam delivered a Egyptian goose and a Blacksmith lapwing

And then just before I exited there was some Blue wildebeest and a Dark chanting Goshawk

Another daytrip over, knowing it will be at least 2 months, if not more, before I return. Succesfull!!!!

\O

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
lowveldboy

Re: Lowveldboy's Daytrips

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 pm

I think it is time for another Installment - :lol:

THURSDAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2011
Tempratures:
6AM - 17 degrees - FREEZING!!!!!
11AM - 25 degrees - Time to take off 2 of 4 layers :wink:
2PM - 31 degrees - Eish, at least it almost got hot!! :lol:

Route: Enter at Numbi gate, go past Mestel dam then down the S7 and around Shabeni, via the Fayi loop to the H1-1. Travelled the Nahpi Boulder road, up the S65. Took the S1 then down the S7 again to visit Shabeni (I love that 3km loop) and exited Numbi gate.

It was SANPARKS week but there was not another car at the gate when I arrived at 06h05 and the rest of the day I saw a total of maybe 10 cars - could it not be like this every day :roll:

The road to mestel delivered not even a bird, and usually does not, but I love having a cuppa at that dam. The 1st sighting was at the entrance to the Shabeni loop and was some impala in a big hurry, well I found out about 3 minutes later why they were running and Frankly I did not blame them - 3 lionesses in the road and not another car. Since Bushcraft's SO was not in the car I could keep my windows open :lol:

The fay loop produced some general game - the best of all was this eye that I bet could tell a story or two

then there was some animals that had the audacity to try and hide from me -

Here is the example to follow - LIE IN THE OPEN

The minute I got onto the H1-1 this board stood next too the road

Still thinking about that sign I drove to Shitlave dam and found some rangers. Then I saw the reason - THERE WAS A MEETING AT THE DAM!!!!! :shock: I enquired about the purpose of the meeting and some "lady" decided to ignore me, and then when I repeated my enquiry with a pinch of irritation - She stuck her tung out at me :evil:

A few pics of the meeting and the lady!!!

HEHE, be honest - How many got a bit of a blood pressure rise there? Actually the rangers were accompanying some cleaners, picking up garbage. Sad that it is needed, but at least every piece of rubbish picked up does not kill an animal. And they had a quite a bit in the refuse bags.

The Nahpi boulders road always delivers for me and again it did not dissapoint - ellies, impi's, kudu, Rhino, klipspringer.

Talk about stuffing your mouth -

Very proud

Impressive horns

The road was very quiet as the tempratures started to rise, but expected. I did find some buffs at Nyamundwa Dam. It was then down to Shabeni loop again to find what I missed in the morning and there it was -

as well as something with a bit more feathers

Then just before I exited a herd of Impala. And I just love these two pics

Praying for safety in the night

Contemplating the dangers of the night ahead

I said my prayer of thanks and went home - Happy and Sad.

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Time for a short little TR on a "daytrip" I did.

Background - I got invited to share a campsite with 2 wonderfull friends from the yellow side(Bushbaby30 & Mads) in Croc Bridge. So after several messages and a lot of wangling at worked, I managed to get a day of at work - A TRIP WAS BORN!!! How does this qulify as a daytrip you may ask? Well, I only spend 1 Full day in the park.

I left after work on the 29th of December and did some serious flying to get to Komatipoort making it just it time for the gate. Being in the great mood I was in (I was going to the park afterall), I had some fun with the gate guards by telling them I have a booking for Punda Maria. The looks on their faces was priceless, especially after 5 minutes I insisted they let me go through because I already paid. :lol: Had a good laugh at them. Eventually I told the truth, booked in and found the campsite. The night was spend around fire, catching up with some old friends. The problem was it ended very late (midnight -ish).

Next morning it was up nice and early and out the gate just after opening. The 2 of them decided today we were going to hunt Doggies as I have yet to see them in the wild - fine by me. So with them giving directions(women are really good at that), and me driving the we spent the day driving all over the south about, bar a little breakfast stop at Mlondozi.

Our 1st sighting

What a great start, we also saw some Zebra's and Impie before a huge male lion made a very brief appearance next to the road. Not far from there, we came across his family in the distance. A big family ...

General game was plentifull, and the birding was excellent. Especially these birdies ...

White morphed Wahlbergs

Juvenile Martial

Southern Ground Hornbill

Plains game was still plentifull and there was of course some babies ...

We got Lizzrd Buzzard and African Goshawk, plus 3 lifers for me, in a very short space of time. The 3 lifers were Violet backed starling, Leivvant's Cuckoo and this Jacobins Cuckoo

Leeupan also delivered some waterbirds.

Saddle billed stork

Comb Duck

White Faced Duck

As the light was fading we had a Pearl Spotted Owlet

before 2 fighting bull elephants ensured we were 5 minutes late for camp, but no hassle. The night was again spend around a fire with good company.

The next morning I was up, camp packed up and ready to go as the gate opened. I needed to be at work at 08h30, which left me with enough time to leisurely drive down the croc river road so I could exit at Malelane. My 1st sighting was a really old Giraffe bull ..

I had barely finished taking that photo when he came running over to me and started kicking out at the car. I reversed a bit and then saw a possible reason for his aggression - half a tail with the blood reasonably fresh and a huge puss-oozing swear behind his left front leg. That would also have put me in a bad mood. Next up another feathered friend - Tawny Eagle(I think)

He moved offand so did I, when coming through a dip, I found myself smack bang in the middle of a pride of 8 lions.

I left as time was cathing up with me, but not quick enough for me not to stop and photograph these 2 Bateleur's

Once again just like on the 31st of December 2010, my last sighting of the year on this the 31st of December 2011 - A white Rhino with a calf.

I left the park to work with a smile on my face and goosebumps on my body. What a way to start your working day ....

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Time for another installment of a short trip, rather than a daytrip!!!!

This trip started when a friend that I havent seen in about 14 months phoned me up and said he is coming for a visit. I recommended we move the visit to greener pastures - so to speak. Being a birder with in excess of 600 ticks to his name, he jumped at 2 nights in Tsendze ( plus he has not been north of Satara in about 15 years :roll: ). I made the arrangements got the car ready and I was set o go, he still had to arrive from Grahamstown (what a drive for 2 nights in the park). He arrived at around 20h00 on tuesday night and we proceeded to catch up O/ Mistake!!!

We awoke the Wednesday morning at around 04h00, feeling less than 100% due to the fact that we only went to bed at around 01h30. We left Nellies at around 04h30atnd headed to phala gate arriving at just after 7. We wanted to meet up with Sprocky, but time just was not making it happen. We chose to drive via Letaba to Mopani. It was evident right from the start that game viewing will be tough as there was a lot standing water all over and the bush was very thick. Still it was amazing to see everything looking so green and fresh(unlike us).

We did see alot of Buffalo and some elephants up to Letaba. A big dagha boy having a drink ...

and very unhappy with our presence ...

We also saw some marabou, woodlands Kingfisher and baboons till Letaba. After Letaba, and a quick stop on the highwater bridge, we came across some Koribustards and Tsetsebe ...

Zebra and Blue Wildebeest also became a rugular sightings. We did however also not miss the smaller creatures ...

and some birds - Paradise Whydah

All the animals looked nice and glossy and well fed as can be seen by these impalas ...

Our book in at Mopani was the wuickest and most friendly I have experienced from that camp - Well Done. We quickly set up camp in Tsendze(no 26) and went about denting the contents of the coolerbox. It was about 2 in the afternoon and we headed for a leisurly drive - time to show the newbie Nshawu waterholes and Tropic of Capricorn loop. The drive started of very slowly initially but once we reached the Nshawu pans, things started to look up considerably. Carmine and European Bee-Eaters; European, Purple and Lilac Breasted Rollers; Red Crested Korhaan; Black Bellied Bustard, Brown back honeyguide(a lifer for me); Saddle Bill Stork ...

Secretary bird ...

Namaqua Dove (another Lifer) ...

several Tawny Eagles; White Backed- White Headed- Lappet Faced- and hooded vultures. We were missing all the mammals it seemed. The another lifer for me - Eurasion Hobby ...

and at Thiyongonyeni another lifer in Montague Harriers. Unfortunately my pics are all bad. The waterhole also had the normal amout of mammal activity in Zebras, Blue Wildebeest and Tsetsebe. Back on the main road we had side striped jackal and Amur Falcons.

The night at camp we were visited by a pair of big male elephants, with a serious flatulance problem. :roll: We were all by ourselves in the camp and had a nice chat to Rodger, that told us the other campers left after the wife(walking barefoot) got stung by a scorpion the previous night. Sh would have learnt a lesson, hopefully. Again we went to Bed way to late!!!! O/ O/

Part 2 to follow ...

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

PART 2
We were up, washed and out the gate at 04H35. It was still dark so we used some torches to search, with reasonable good success. Scrub Hare, plenty of nightjars and a genet was all spotted before the sun showed itself. When it did though it was clear this day was going to be a scorcher. Since my ffriend had never been higher up than Shingwedzi, our plan was to drive up as far as we possibly could and then turn back, even if it meant pitstops would be kept to under 1 minute. No problem!!!!

The Mopane trees was thick but did clear to show us some ellies, giraffe's and Zebra's.There was also my favourite Hyeana's ...

The closer to Shingwedzi we got the more Elephants was around which is always good. We carried on towards Babalala and the road was teeming with Zebras, Giraffe's Blue Wildebeest and Secretary Birds. Unfortunately we couldn't find the Roan, but we were at no stage bored. Every baobab was inspected for spinetails, but no success. The Northern Newbie was speechless and continued to comment on the "MOST BEAUTIFULL" area he has ever seen. My plan was to show him Mahonie Loop so North we kept going. Just before Punda i had a very quick chance at a very interesting photo ....

The little was too cute. We made a quick pitstop and Mahonie loop here we come. The idea for Mahonie was in search of 1 bird - Broadbilled roller. I have seen 1 before and it is 1 of 3 birds I have ticked that he has yet to have the privelage. My promise to him was - the mahonie loop always delivers. It started of slowly and the grass was long and green. Thing did get better and we found our 1st kudu and shortly after our 1st Nyala. Mahonie always delivers and it did again - another lifer for me.

Crowned Hornbill

We kept on going and Kudu and Nyala sightings was plentifull. I was also searching for Sharpe's Grysbok. Almost through the loop and something caught my eye. Mahonie ALWAYS deliver. I found him his lifer - Broad Billed Roller

He was happy and so was I as we made our way south again. We decided to take the Kanniedood road down to Tropic of Capricorn and from there to Camp. We did have soome more vultures and also a spoonbill, but in general it was quiet. Having just commented on not having seen even a bird for about 30 minutes, my friend hits the brakes and starts snapping his fingers. Scraping myself of the dash, I had just enough time to see a serval dissapear into the thick growth. What a special Sighting!!!!!! The road continued delivering sporadic sightings of Impala, till we turn off onto the Tropic of capricorn road. Suddenly wildlife was aplenty. Elephants, Zebras, Giraffe, Wildebeest, Secretary birds ...

a gathering of 14 Ostriches

some youngsters was also playing around ...

as well as White Storks ...

We arrived at camp just in time and spend another peacefull night in the bush.

The next morning we packed up camp and headed to Phala gate as yet again I needed to get to work. I had till 12h00 to get there. So we drove nice and slow but only stopped here and there. I did stop for a last photo of a very gracefull Impala ...

We encountered another SSJ on a mission as well as Elephants and Kudus. That was till we had to spend some time admiring Groundhornbills. this youngster stood out for me ...

We made it to the gate at around 08h30 and with heavy hearts we said farewell.

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

About time I post some pics again>

This was a little daytrip to meet up with Some Bunny and his Hunny in Skuks!! The sightings was not the greatest as far as animals go, but being in thebush for the 1st time in 3 months everything felt like new. And even better so with people in the car that appreciates not only the big 5 but all things nature. Only 5 pics, but hopefully after this weekend there will be some more. Enjoy

and of course - OUR PRECIOUS

BunnyHugger

Post by BunnyHugger »

I would like to add that even after 3 months away from the reserve, the kids eyes were sharp. The Rhino sighting was brilliant. He saw them long before any of us did. They were very skitterish and were hiding in the bush and only came into view some time after we had stopped. \O

We enjoyed kids company enormously. O/\ O\/

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

This was not strictly a daytrip, but who cares :twisted:

I received a message on Monday from Crazy Elephant, asking if I would like to take my tent for a 2 night stay at Pretoriuskop. Did not take long to say yes. believe you me \O . Penga, Mma and 2 Kruger virgins(from here on known as EX) invaded the farm on Friday, which resulted on only 2 hours sleep. Saturday morning it was up at 5, brushing teeth, taking the keys and going. Snag nr 1, EX is still asleep. 0= A quick education on Kruger rules, and they sparked into life although looking slightly pale O**

A very friendly lady at reception got us through the whole process with the efficiency you would come to expect at 5star lodges.Well done to her!!! ^Q^ . Te 1st ighting was in the parking lot

EX were wide-eyed and did not stop asking questions. We happily answered!!! We left one car at Pretoriuskop and headed down Voortrekker to Afaal.

Traffic was non-existing, except for 1 car parked in the far distance. We quickly spotted what they were looking at.Sable ....

Sighting (and thisgoes for the whole weekend) was regular although the vegetation were thick and the animals far. So not too many pics. Plains game was everywhere. Kudu, impala, giraffe, wildebeest etc. Every now and again some animal would come close enough for a photo.

Had some kuduwors boerie's before we went to pay our respects to the Great Man. Drove down to Mphondo, here there was a LO

Lapwings and starling were also present

Headed back to Afsaal for a quick pitstop and back up Voortrekker towards camp. Pumbaa made and appearance

and so did this Green Backed Heron

Were were all entertained by this Giraffe. Here is the sequence

Another starling, this time Glossy ..

At the camp it took some time for the receptionist to get the hang of this booking in, but got through it well enough. ooking for a campsite we were greeted by a Purple Crested Turaco. Anyone who has ever tried to take a picture of one know they do tend to hide away. This time the job was not done tat well.

My camp was setup 1st and while I enjoyed a cold one the rest struggled on. They eventually finished, the fire was lit and .... well what happens in Pretoriuskop, stays in Pretoriuskop O** O** O** All I am willing to say is Noggas was involved. At least I did eventually get to braai my meat and got to bed at 01h00, the last man standing.

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Sorry Guys, had a real busy few days. But let's continue ...

Thanks for all the compliments, and No I cant remember if the giraffe was male or female :O^

Day 2
We headed up Nahpi to Skuks for a afternoon meet and braai. But before that we searched for some Klipdrift along Shabeni, and found one

Shithlave delivered the usual

and the not so usual ...

Sightings was not much, but constant. I did not take many pictures. Well that was untill we got to Lake Panic ...

There was this one couple though, they were intend on ruining evrything for evryone and kept going at each other .... O/ O/

and then just as I thought it was going to end in murder, they made up :o0ps:

We headed for Skuks and met up with Bushcraft and family. Had a really great time, and way too much to eat. We really had to push at the speedlimit to make camp (but no speeding), and did not have time to stop too often. But we did get some short stops ...

We reached camp right at closing, although I do not know how they are going to close a gate that is non-existant :O^

The night was spent around the fire, mostly in quiet contemplation. We all headed to bed at the early time of 22h30, and awoke sometime during the night to a very light drizzle. Sleep was especially peacefull after that. Next morning I packed up and left at opening time, to head to work.

Thanks Penga and Mma for the invite, the 2 days in the bush kept me sane, and made me long for my next trip - 1st week in August for 5 days.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”