"Kyk die Leeus Oom Dewi."

Dewi

Re: "Kyk die Leeus Oom Dewi."

Post by Dewi »

Last Post.

We were now heading for Skukuza in a bit of trepidation and the tension was mounting up in the van. As we travelled South, a movement caught my eye, so I asked Jan to pull over. We reversed back a little and focused our binoculars, waiting for the animals to show themselves again. Before long, a herd os Sable came out from behind the bush and into partial view. They were always obscured by long grass or bush the whole time we were with them, but it was great to be able to watch a breeding herd as they passed on by, feeding as they went.

We continued on and along the river stretch, noted a Vulture on a roadside tree.

On taking it's picture, I looked into the riverbed and saw this gang.

They had obviously been on a kill somewhere nearby and were now bathing in the river.

Just before we arrived at Skukuza, a family of Ground Hornbills were seen ambling along the roadside looking for insects or other tasty morsels.

With all these stops, the tension now really mounted. We had to call into Skuks to pick up passports that had hopefully been couriered there for us. Would they be there? Would we have to cancel out trip to Swaziland? The tension really mounted when we enquired at the reception desk and no-one knew anything about them! Eventually the right person was tracked down, but was nowhere near, so we went for lunch and waited. Before long, the passports turned up and we thanked the Ranger who had looked after them for us. We could now continue on to Swaziland and a new adventure.

We headed South towards Malelane, taking only one more photo on the way. A lone Giraffe. He was so close, I could not get him all in one photo, so experimented and used the same technique I use for taking panoramics. These were stitched together back home, and the result has worked out not too badly!

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Must be nice to see sables and so far south O:V

The ground hornbills are really funny looking birds. As in evolution there is mostly a reason for everything, I wonder what the red skin is for :-?

Well done with the giraffe....the stiching points do not even show lol \O I like very much that you take the trouble with a giraffe ^Q^ ^Q^

"Last post"? I hope that you mean in Kruger.

Are we moving to Swaziland now?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Stunning shots of the sables, Dewi :-0 :-0 :-0

must be very hard to leave Kruger after such a sighting O**

Love also the hornbills and the bathing vulture gang \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Am lost! Where were the sable? 0:

Nice vultures BATHING.... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Love the pictures of the algae \O and great sable sighting!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Can't believe the trip is already over! :-(

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Thanks Lis, Richprins, Pumbaa & Flutt's. \O X#X

Lis - Last post has a double meaning - last post of our Kruger trip & we had to make sure that the passports made the last post to Skuks or we were in trouble for out Swazi trip. lol

RP - The Sable were seen from the H1-2 about 20Km from Skuks (approximately in the area nearest to Rhino Post Lodge). The Vultures have no option but to bathe until showering facilities are provided for them. lol

Pumbaa - Was not too hard to leave as we were about to head on to a new country and adventure for me. O/\ It would have been different if we were heading home after leaving the park though.

Flutt's - The time flew by. We did not see as much as we have done on previous trips, but did not spend as much time out as we normally do as the kids needed their run-around time. It was a very relaxed, laid-back trip compared to previous ones. I was totally chilled out at the end of it. X#X

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Dewi wrote: I was totally chilled out at the end of it. X#X
;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

You look super cool in the AW shirt O/\ O/\

Sable O\/ O\/ , where they in the Kruger Tablets area and where the vultures between the H12 bridge and Skukuza on the H1-2 :-?

Swaziland O** 0()

pooky

Post by pooky »

Just caught up again Dewi \O \O

Great pics of the Olifants river and the algae makes a pretty picture ^Q^ ^Q^
and that good looking guy in the AW shirt O** O**

Nice sable herd O\/ O\/

Sorry your KNP trip is coming to an end, but looking forward to Swaziland \O \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Oi, Dowi will never be the same again,.
so glad for him,..now become bullet proof!!

Heh,.. H.e

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”