S.K.P. EXPLORER WITH S.T.F. AND J.R. TOURS.*

steamtrainfan

Re: S.K.P. EXPLORER WITH S.T.F. AND J.R. TOURS.

Post by steamtrainfan »

Wednesday 14 May 2014 - Part 2/5 - Crocodile Bridge to Berg en Dal.

At Crocodile Bridge we stopped at the picnic spot for breakfast. This is just such a magical camp with everything so clean and green.

They had the sprinklers on and there were a few Yellow-fronted Canary's playing in the puddles and spray. The first of our firsts.

This one shook himself as I took the photo. Very difficult to get them sitting still.

An Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove at one of the many water puddles along the way.

Three-banded Plover.

Pearl-breasted Swallow on the Biyamati bridge.

Finally for this section, another first, a chameleon.

In all the years we have been going we have never seen much on the Crocodile River Road and so it proved to be again today.

In part 3 Joan overhears something very exciting while in the shop at Berg en Dal.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Wednesday 14 may 2014 - part 2/4 - Berg en Dal to S113.

Hope no one spots my mathematical error above. :o0ps:

While I checked in Joan went on walk about and came back with the news that she had overheard one lady telling another about a leopard in a tree with its kill near Afsaal. After unpacking we made some quick calculations - it is now 14:45 and Afsaal is 35 km's away and travelling at 35kph would take us until 16:45 to do the return trip and gates close at 17:30. This allows us 45 minutes allowance for any other sightings and to find the LITWK. Decision made and so we set off.

Un fortunately Joan could not hear any further information on exactly where this LITWK was but relied on the fact that there would be a pile of cars there so spotting it would be a cinch.

Some of the sightings on our way up to Afsaal.

Sandgrouse - now why does this name bring a smile to my face.

Close to the turnoff to Renoster Pan, which is closed, we came across a hyena den. The S118 is also closed.

This adult looked as if he/she was on lookout duty.

But he/she was just keeping on eye in this youngster who came running out of the grass to greet us...............

..............and lay down next to our car which caused much shuffling of cars around us.

One guy really brassed me off. We were heading north on the H3 and the den was on our right hand side so I pulled over to the right hand side of the road staying on the tar facing on coming traffic. This dweet heading south parked right in front of me, radiator to radiator so to speak, with his left hand wheels off the tar. We were still watching when he decided that he was finished and then came forward and passed between us and the den - all 4 wheels were on the dirt. I do not think he saw the entrance to the den or how close his left hand wheels were to it. He must have missed it by inches. In my wicked mind I kind of wished that he had landed up in it but then I thought of the hyenas that might have been it so I contented myself by just blowing him a raspberry as his window was mere inches from mine.

We moved on up the H3 and arrived at Afsaal without seeing the LITWK. We then thought that maybe it was north of Afsaal so we decided to drive up to the S113 and if we did not see it we would turnaround as time was marching on.

A few km's north of Afsaal we saw a likely looking LITWK tree so stopped for a closer inspection. We did not see a leopard but we did see this little fellow checking us out.

Who then called his wife out to have a look at these strange animals staring at them.

After giving us the once over she got bored and returned to the comfort of home. Maybe there were youngsters in there. -O-

We told a passing car about these brown-headed parrots but all we got was a dirty look and they roared off.

Coming up next - we return south on the H3 in search of LITWK.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Wednesday 14 May 2014 - Part 4/4 - S113 to Berg en Dal.

Saying farewell to the parrots we turned around and headed back down the H3 in search of our LITWK. Had we missed it somewhere , but surely we would have seen a pile of cars in the road, or was it a lady with a tale?

A rather nice photo of my favourite bird.

We passed Afsaal and I was beginning to become very disheartened about ever seeing our first LITWK.

At the junction of the H3 and H2-2 there is a tree on the left hand side that looked like a good candidate. I slowed down when Joan shouted "STOP".

" I'm sure there is something in that tree."

"No way - it is just a branch. Lets move on."

"Wait, pass me the binoculars. I just saw the branch move."

This is what we saw without binoculars, except it was a bit darker as it was now 16:00.

Joan said very calmly " Yes, there she is."

"Where , I cant see anything"

We then moved onto the H2-2 where we could get a better view.

Not another car in sight. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

We could move into any position and found a place that gave us the best view.

Our first LITWK - the goosebumps flared up all over and the shaking began.

She seemed to be trying to get the carcass into a more secure position.

There was not much left of the carcass - basically just the head and a leg from what we could see.

We watched her for 15 minutes when suddenly out of nowhere four cars suddenly appeared.

We took a last photo and moved on.

We stopped at hyena den for some final pics.

The adult was still keeping watch.

Once again the youngster came out of the grass and posed for us.

Overall we would say this was a very successful day.

We decided to do this route again tomorrow morning and pop in and see if the LITWK would still be there.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thursday 15 May 2014 - Part 1/2 - Day drive.

For some reason we only left camp a little later than normal. We had decided to go see if the LITWK was still there but that we would go via the dirt S110 to the H3.

A short distance onto the S110 we came across a roadblock just before the road crosses the first river. There were 4 cars all stopped one behind the other as the road was too narrow to double park. So we slowly drove up and stopped and searched the bush to no avail. We could not pull up next to the car in front of us to ask the normal question but we could see that everybody was looking and pointing to the left but we could not see what.

F R U S T R A T I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cars then moved forward a few metres and stopped again and this time Joan saw it. "Leopard" Try as I might I could not see it.

The cars moved forward again and this time I caught a glimpse of it as it jumped down into a donga and disappeared.

Joan said that although she could see it , it was too far in and in amongst some bushes, so no photos I am afraid.

Eventually everybody moved forward and we were able to move on as there was now a queue behind us.

Nothing much else seen on the S110 except this winter flowering impala lily.

On up the H3 to the H2-2 junction where we saw our LITWK. This morning the tree was deserted - not even a sign that there had been anything there.

Went to Afsaal for their slapup full house breakfast and a waffle to finish it off. Very good indeed.

We decided to do the circular route H3, S113, S23, S114, Gardenia Hide, S121 and S110 back to camp.

Just after turning onto the S113 we saw a few cars parked all over the show. We looked into the bush and could not see anything when suddenly very far into the bush we saw a few heads pop up and look around - looked like lioness's. A few metres away and under a tree this fellow was fast asleep. Taken on full 500mm and the photo is heavily cropped.

This guy was so fast asleep we decided to move on.

At the river crossing just before S113/S25 junction we saw this malachite kingfisher, another favourite of ours, darting amongst the reeds. He eventually sat still long enough for Joan to get a good photo.

Normally these little brown jobs are so busy playing chicken with your car that one cannot get a decent photo. This fellow posed so nicely for Joan.

At Gardenia Hide this photo of three pairs of different species of bird in one photo.

Egyptian Goose, Woolly Necked Stork and Blacksmith Plover.

The Woolly Necked Stork came down for a drink.

A pretty quiet day all in all and as it was still early when we got back to Berg en Dal we decided to do a sunset drive instead of our own drive.

This was certainly going to make up for the day drive.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thursday 15 May 2014 - part 2/2 - sunset drive.

As we were waiting to leave a gent came up and said that he had just seen a leopard on the tar road near the gate.

Now we were itching to go but two fellow travellers were yet to arrive. They soon arrived and then we had to go through all the rules and regulations of a game drive - which I now know off by heart. I felt like shouting " There's a leopard just outside camp - lets put pedal to the metal and go find it" but I just sat patiently.

Eventually we were off and drove slowly out of camp along the tar S110 all eyes peeled for a spotted cat. Very slowly we moved on and eventually arrived at the H3.

NOTHING to be seen.

We travelled along the H3, S114, and S121 back to the H3.

Our first photo was along the H3 of this mother and child scene.

Along the S121 we saw a hippo grazing but he was kilometres from the river.?????? Did not warrant a photo.

We also saw this scrub hare.

After this we saw nothing and we were beginning to think " Man this is sooooooooooooo boring." and our eyes were drooping and our heads dropping.

This was until we reached the turnoff to Malelane Camp.

The drive suddenly swerved and had his headlights on a white tailed mongoose. It stood for a few seconds and then ran off. We drove off in the general direction and found it again quite far off the road but in a clearing. It was staring at us. As Joan got her camera up to take a pic it took off into the bush with its white tail waving us goodbye. A lifer for us.

Next up was a hyena walking down the road, an ellie eating off a tree standing half in the road, a genet in a tree but we could only see the shining eyes as he was far away. This was turning out to be quite a drive in the last 15 minutes. As we drove off from the genet I said that a leopard would now be a bonus.

Near to camp the driver suddenly increased speed slightly and told us that there was a leopard walking towards in the middle of the road. As we approached it walked into the grass and lay down as if trying to hide. We pulled up right next to it with it staring up at us and snarling.

Now Joans camera is very finicky and will only take photos when everything is set properly and night photography is not our forte. Unfortunately we missed a photo of it snarling at us but did get a few others. These are the best two.

All that in 9 kilometres. That just goes to prove that what starts off badly does nor necessarily end up bad.

While walking back from reception we almost stood on this guy. Big pincers = not too poisonous.

I estimate that he was 8-9 cm long.

That's all for now folks - until the next episode.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Friday 16 May 2014 - Part 1/2 - Berg en Dal to Skukuza.

We decided to take the S110 Matjulu Loop again this morning but leopards do not appear in the same place twice.

We did see this giraffe family. Daddy was keen on increasing the family but mommy kept saying " Not in front of our child."

A lone dagga boy a bit further on.

Found some ellies enjoying themselves in a lush river bed.

Breakfast at Afsaal and the on the road again.

Nothing much to be seen on the H3 but decided to stick to it instead of our original plan to take the S113, S114 to Renosterkoppies dam.

Just before Kwaggaspan one crosses a river with a high bridge. There was a bakkie stopped there and a ladies hand was gesticulating wildly. We could not see what she saw so drove slowly past them and waited in front of them. Joan suddenly said "Leopard" and there he was striding out from bushes around the river with a real purpose towards the water hole. He then settled down for a short drink and then walked off.

Four leopard in three days - a record for us.

The rest of the trip via S112, S114 and H1-1 did not produce much except for the locals.

Next - an afternoon at Lake Panic.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

After checking in to Skukuza we spent that late afternoon at Lake Panic.

Just a few photos from there.

The resident sentry.

The resident Goliath.

These guys were in complete shade so not easy to get a good photo.

One of the local big boys throwing a tantrum.

A lady bushbuck comes down for a sundowner.

Tomorrow we take a ride up to Tshokwane.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Saturday 17 May - Skukuza - Tshokwane - Skukuza - Part 1/3 Skukuza to Leeupan.

Up and out early today.

Our first sighting was these zebra with one being a lot cleaner than the others.

A few Nyala males crossed the road in front of us.

A young giraffe.

It is a ritual of ours to take the first turn off onto the S36 and pop in at Mantimahle Dam. Just after turning off the S36 toward the dam we came across these two lovebirds relaxing in the morning sun.

We had them to ourselves for 30 minutes before another car arrived. We could see all the cars speeding along the H1-2. Tough luck for them.

The another two cars arrived and still they remained calm and relaxed.

We were waiting for them to "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do". Who can remember this song and the words we as kids used to sing instead of these words?

These two did not have procreation on their minds.

The female had seen something in the bush and the male was also checking it out.

He got up to follow the female and they walked off into the bush.

That was a very pleasant hour which passed by very quickly.

Back on the H1-2 we spotted this Purple Roller - a first for us.
According to Roberts "Sparse - least common roller in region."
Is this quite a rare sighting then?

Coming up next - Leeupan to Orpen Dam.
Last edited by steamtrainfan on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Saturday 17 May - Skukuza - Tshokwane - Skukuza - Part 2/3 Leeupan to Orpen Dam.

Nearing Tshokwane we saw this pair of Brown Snake Eagles doing aerial acrobatics. Photographing directly into the sky is not too easy.

The toilets at Tshokwane were out of order so they had set up row of long drops in the parking area. Could they not have put these somewhere else for goodness sake. O/ O/ O/

I got this photo of a bush buck right up at the railing near the out of order toilets.

As time was on our side we decided to carry on up the H1-3 and then take the Orpen Dam Loop back to the H1-3 just south of Tshokwane.

In a river crossing we saw this beautiful Saddle Bill Stork wading in the water.

Just the a car approached from the other side and as we looked up at the car the SBS took flight - lesson to learn - never take your eyes off the target.

We have never the Eileen Orpen Dam so full.

This croc made quite a nice subject all surrounded by green hyacinth.

These waterbuck and impala seemed quite content to share the same grazing patch.

Our first time in getting two Lilac Breasted Rollers in one photo.

Coming up next in Part 3 - Eileen Orpen Dam back to Skukuza.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Saturday 17 May - Skukuza - Tshokwane - Skukuza - Part 3/3 - Orpen Dam to Skukuza.

On the tar road toward Leeupan Joan got this shot of an , unidentified, eagle.

Popped in at Leeupan to see a couple of old dagga boys hanging out.

Just past Leeupan Joan spotted this in a thicket.

We were not sure what it was until we got hold of Roberts and cropped the photo but even Roberts does not give us a positive ID.

We think it is of the Goshawk clan and it can only be one of two - Shikra or Little Sparrowhawk.

However, the Shikra has red eyes and yellow feet and the Little Sparrowhawk has yellow eyes and sort of reddish feet (according to the picture in Roberts).

This fellow has very distinctive yellow eyes and feet. :-? -O- :-? -O-

Please can any listee put us out of our misery and give us a positive ID.

A nice pair of book ends on some well known rocks.

We got back to Skukuza in time for lunch.

Did an afternoon drive along H11 and S1 where we this fellow suddenly appeared out of nowhere.......

.........and crossed the road behind us.

A lovely bush buck trying to look like a ridge back.

Just before closing time near Skukuza a pair of Bataleurs on a very high ISO.

Next: We travel down to Pretoriuskop.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”