Splendour in the Grass*

Duke

Re: Splendour in the Grass

Post by Duke »

Thanks Mel \O

The second morning finds us on the H3. We see the usual suspects but just before Afsaal we see the doggies O/\ O/\ O/\

They are on the move and we spend the next 90 minutes with them, right till Jock Camp, a distance of about 8 km. They are on the road, and in the grass.

They stop to pose

and this is how you take care og the long grass Lis :-0

When all the troops are accounted for, they move again :-0

TBC.....

Duke

Post by Duke »

Flutterby wrote:Wow...fantastic sighting and for so long!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Were you alone with them?
We were the third car on the scene. The other two overtook us along the way as we stop for most things. The number of cars started building up after about 20 minutes but the dogs were spraed out and on the move so there was no congestion and people were allowing others to pass. We were happy not to be right in front as this allowed us to have doggies in front of us and behind us. These pix will give you an idea.

:-0 \O

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks mel, nan, Toko, Bush Brat \O

More photos of the dogs :-)

Duke

Post by Duke »

More sightings along the way to Lower Sabie

Mr. Musth was quite docile, just as well

Duke

Post by Duke »

Final day, we leave Lower Sabie at 5.30am and take the H10. This is one of my favourite roads for an early morning drive. There is a car in front of us. I have no interest in overtaking him but when he stops for something, he pulls off as soon as we approach. Sharifa and I have a good laugh. That was me about 30 years ago =O:

We find an Ellie family north of the northern entrance to the S128.

One youngster wants to play as he comes on to the road the minute the car inches forward

We parked alongside the other car and he says to us, "julle kan maar gan" ( you can go ahead). Sharifa replies, "is oom bang" ( Is Uncle scared literally - he was our vintage) 0*\ --00--

The Ellie moved off evantually and I must say that the man was scared as he sped past.

Black Shouldered Kite

The Europeans struggling with our cuisine

Easy if you a local

Image[/URL]

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks Rp, nan, Lis, Pumbaa, Tina, Flutts, Bushcraft, harrys and Bush Brat \O

Thanks for the tip on the doggies BC, will check with you again next week.

When you on the H10 and are nearing the H1-2, do not go straight. Instead take the S35 and then turn left towards the H1-3 and enter Tshokwane from the north. This little stretch of the S35 is one of those little gems, a secret road. We have seen a serval here and a honey badger, a few leopards and many lions.

Today we found a crested francolin family

Emerald spotted dove

African Jacana

Good to see this sign at Orpen Dam

So we on our way to Thsokwane and Miss Sharifa says stop, go back.

Why?

A didericks cuckoo just flew in to that tree .........

Duke

Post by Duke »

So I go back and it is a spotted bird in the tree but not a Didericks. It is a Pearly O/\ O\/ :-)

Then it flies closer to us O:V

Then it goes further in

back of head with false eyes

We stop at Thsokwane for a break. The toilets are still out of order but portable chemical loos have been put up and they were clean. We head to Skukuza, have another break and then exit seeing the usual game along the way. A great Kruger Weekend.

Thank You all \O

Next stop Birding in Mtunzini over Easter Weekend, followed by a couple of days in Imfolozi, Cape Vida, Mkuze and Ithala O:V

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”