Browns in Kruger July 2013 *

Bushcraft

Browns in Kruger July 2013 *

Post by Bushcraft »

Hey Guys;

The Toti Browns are back again.

This was the 2nd trip to KNP this year for Bushcraft, The Cow, Hawkeyes, Bushpig and Albert.

July schools holidays are always a mission to get family chalet/hut type accommodation, although we eventually managed to put something together, but we were forced to book 2 x 3 bed units for 3 nights at the start of the trip which was going to be interesting as the rats had to sleep in their own spot.

The trip ended up as below:

4th Nkonkoni Camp Jozini Dam
5th, 6th and 7th Crocodile Bridge
8th and 9th Satara
10th Talamati
11thand 12th Lower Sabie
13th Biyamiti

We once again had to put together a tricky shopping list because of the faulty Swazi border post officials, but needn’t have bothered as nobody was interested in checking this time. I wish for consistency.

We have been a few times in June and July, but found the weather rather suspect this trip with seriously cold days for a KZN clan and the odd day of drizzle, which was new for us in July. There also seemed to be plenty water in the park and the vegetation still fairly dense, which I can only assume is from a particularly wet summer.

We struggled more than usual for sightings, especially for the first few days and then had a serious Tshokwane induced medical issue, which nearly stuffed the entire trip up, but we got to meet some new people, wildies and mites, which was awesome. O/\

This may be a travel tale which is slightly different from previous TT’s that I have written as this was a strange trip with massive highs and lows, so I hope all ride the wave and hang around during the low times, but there are many of the usual and new scraps and a few long lips, so those may entertain if the pics don’t. -O-

In summary, things are rather crazy for me at the moment so I’m going to write this fairly quickly (when I find a gap to fit it in), therefore check things out, catch up when you can and ignore the grammar errors RP 0'

To be continued

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger July 2013

Post by Bushcraft »

4th July Jozini Dam

The rats were already on holiday and the Cow had the day off, so it was up to me to make a plan at work so that we could get up to Jozini in daylight. I ducked a meeting and snuck home at around lunchtime, so we were on the road just after 1pm and arrived at Jozini at around 4pm.

We stopped to check out a few warties, buffalo and impala on the short road into camp, but again there were no crazy elephants, which I was secretly hoping to meet.

The Cow went to book us in at reception while I wobbled around stretching my legs, although soon realized that shoes were required, but I didn’t have any, so ended up walking around the car trying to keep the rats from running amok.

The Cow returned with the news that although we had booked unit 5, our favourite, 6 months in advance, there had been a stuff up and we were now in unit 4, which immediately had me and the rats calling for resignations and heads, but as per normal the Cow gave us a few evil looks and with a long lip we went to check out our “new” unit.

It didn’t take long for the teeth to hang out as it was a better unit with a super cool boma and is now our first choice unit. Strange how things work sometimes.

View of the boma from the unit and view from boma to the unit.

The weather wasn’t that good and we had purchased plenty wood in Mkhuze, so I immediately cracked a black label and started the fire.

The rats thought that the fire story was a good idea and soon started their own, which without fail will result in a scrap between them at some stage and Bushpig can never resist terrorising her sisters.

The Cow arrived to take control and soon the rats had been shipped inside for a bath, which caused another commotion as this unit had a fancy bath jacuzzi type thing and the rats decided to switch all the buttons on and soon there were massive shrieks from the bathroom, but again the Cow issued a greasing and I had a few minutes peace alone in the boma to suck up the atmosphere.

My peace didn’t last long and the rats were back with a new mission. The Cow had purchased some dough mix at our local supermarket and now the rats were going to make their own bread rolls, but failed to realize that it’s not like cooking a marshmallow, so tears and tantrums followed and I eventually ended up cooking them.

Eventually the fire was ready and the meat could go on.

The rats and Cow ducked inside after supper and I sucked a few beers next to the fire in the dark alone, but soon started to fall asleep so wobbled inside at around 9pm and to my shock the rats and Cow were still awake and reading peacefully, which gave me a pelican as I was stuffed and wanted to switch the lights off, but as it’s just 1 large room with 5 beds, there’s nowhere to hide and my moaning increased when the Cow stated “I still want to use the fancy bath” and went off to light the candles in the bathroom, so I switched the lights off and tried to control the rats cackling.

A few minutes later the running bath water was driving me crazy and I was about to shout when there was a massive noise from the bathroom which sounded like an elephant letting rip and then a shrieking “Whoooo, whooo” from the Cow.

This immediately had the rats howling with laughter.

It turns out that the Cow had tried to switch on the bubbles, but the tub malfunctioned and blew her around the tub.

The rats then decided that it was a good idea to discuss farts and were soon saying things that shocked me. I come from an all boy’s family and didn’t realize that girl’s even understood boy’s conservations and also had them, so to my delight I joined in the conversation, which got us all a greasing from the bathroom.

Soon there was peace and the bush feel had started.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

5th July Jozini to Croc Bridge

We woke to rain, so the border posts were a breeze as for some reason the officials don’t inspect much in the rain and I can only assume that they don’t like getting wet.

We arrived at Komatipoort just after 11am and still had to do all the meat and dairy shopping for the trip.

I’m sure regular readers are aware of my shopping issues, but today seemed a breeze as Hawkeyes didn’t let the Cow get distracted and we were soon on our way to the park.

Before I continue, I will keep rhino locations vague, or omit the sighting completely where it’s impossible to be vague.

The first thing I did was fuel up in Croc Bridge and as it was too early to book in, decided to duck up the S28.

Our first sighting besides the usual suspects wasn’t what we wanted 10 minutes into Kruger. Notice the paint on the clowns face also and I’m embarrassed by the KZN registration. We didn’t hang around and just drove on.

Next up was the obligated stop for the first LBR for the Cow. We stopped once more later in the trip and I got a greasing, but will elaborate further on that much later in the TT.

A few km further we met our first ellies of the trip and a few Rambo juniors tried to throw their weight around, which as you all know gets the Cow going.

The rest of the drive to the H10 Bridge was fairly quiet and produced only a few warties and giraffe.

The drive over the bridge produced some strange friends having a sleep together. I have never seen these 2 so close and comfortable. Watch out for a horned hippo in that area in the future.

Somewhere further on we found our first rhino of the trip, but can’t say much more on that.

We had passed enough time now to plan our route back to Croc Bridge for book in, so did a u-turn and started back that direction, but as we approached the H10 bridge again, a massive traffic jam was waiting for us, so my irritation and pelican instantly grew “School holidays, stuff it!!”

We initially couldn’t see what all the fuss was about, but soon spotted a male lion having a snooze next to the bridge. We must have driven straight past him earlier.

He was on our side of the bridge, so we could see him without getting involved in the chaos, but the entire bridge was backed up and we had to find a way through, so I switched off and waited for a gap.

Some chap coming off the bridge opposite us was highly excited and going nowhere, so we could see a massive drama developing and 10 minutes later the hooters, hand waving, shouting, etc started, which caused a few others to move, but the chap in front wasn’t going anywhere.

I took the gap instantly and we were out of there.

We decided to take the S130 down to Croc Bridge as it’s generally a more peaceful road traffic wise, but it didn’t produce much, besides a few ellies, until the southern section where a few boons made an appearance and I definitely thought the game was on for some action as the 1 aunty kept reversing towards a chap, but I eventually lost patience with the slowed up boon and we continued on.

There wasn’t much happening for the rest of the way to Croc Bridge, but Bushpig did spot this teenager having a sleep just outside the camp fence and was over excited about her find, but I didn’t realize at the time that my praise would lead to other things later.

We were issued 9 and 10 on book in, so the scrap started as to which unit was for the Cow and I and which was for the rats. The neighbours at unit 11 looked suspect and potentially noisy, so I took unit 9, which gave the rats a massive pelican.

Then the fight started as to who was sleeping in which bed in the rats unit, so I ducked to unit 9 for a beer and left the Cow to sort out the drama.

I definitely expected a drama when it came time for bed as they had never slept on their own in a unit in KNP, but first we had a short evening drive to consider.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

5th July Jozini to Croc Bridge continued

We only left camp after 4pm, so only had just over an hour to explore and as it had been a long day all were tired, so we planned a short drive down to hippo pools and then see how much time we had left from there.

Just outside camp we found a few giraffe cruising around, but for some reason the Cow always takes a pic of their pip, as for me, I’m often too lazy to pick the camera up for giraffe.

Just down the S27 to hippo pools we found a massive herd of buffalo, but many didn’t seem too pleased at our presence and a few hairy eyeballs were exchanged, from the Cow and the buffalo.

Suddenly a strange looking buff pulled in and I’m not sure what the story is here, but a spotted buff is a first for us. Maybe some skin disorder, or just born that way.

From the hippo pools turning circle we spotted a lioness a long way off having a check around from a log, but due to the distance it was hard to see exactly what was happening, so we turned to head back to the H4-2.

When we hit the H4-2 again we still had plenty time, so decided to do a little section of the southern piece of the S130, which has produced for us in the past and a few km in we found some young males hiding in the grass.

Time was ticking and they were well hidden, so we decided to duck back to Croc Bridge for our first night KNP braai.

As we hit our parking space in camp Bushpig shrieked “Hyena” and took off with her camera followed closely by Albert, which caused me to explode as the car was in a mess. “Get your butts back here and help unpack”

The hyena thing continued for the next 2 hours as Bushpig had roped Albert in as an assistant with the torch and they waited in ambush for every hyena that came cruising along the fence line.

She eventually got a pic while standing on a bench, which seemed to calm things down.

There were no dramas at bedtime much to my surprise and the rats cruised off to their unit after supper leaving the Cow and I in peace at our own spot, which was a first for us and rather confusing.

We were just about to also cruise off to bed when a farmers dog across the river started barking, then the rangers dog also started, which got me wild, so I charged off with my massive spotlight and tried to shine the dogs down, but the barking continued and at 1am they were still going.

The Cow had given up on me by this stage and was asleep, but I was about to blow a cylinder head, so eventually decided to pull out my faithful cotton wool for the ears and chowed a sleeping tablet.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

6th July Croc Bridge

I woke feeling that I was in a different time zone as the sleeping tablet was still in high gear, especially since I mixed it with a few dops, but eventually wobbled off to the shower, while the Cow went to wake the rats.

We only made it into the car at around 6:10am due to the lazy start. We were also slightly confused as it was still pitch black and freezing cold, around 4 degrees I think, which is like the North Pole for a KZN clan.

The queue of day visitors coming in Croc Bridge was the first thing we noticed and I couldn’t help but wonder what happens if they all decided to leave at gate closing.

A few km up the H4-2 we realized that it was a complete waste of time without a spotlight as you couldn’t see a thing, although the odd hyena cruised in front of the car lights a few times and we managed a “proof” pic once.

The sun eventually started to rise at about 6:50am, but we were already 5km away from Lower Sabie before we could see anything and it was overcast with potential rain looming.

We stopped a Lower Sabie for a loo break and I had a small run around the car park to defrost before moving on.

The usual gang were all out and about at Sunset Dam, so we checked them out for a few minutes before stopping for an ellie who crossed the road behind us.

As we approached Lubyelubye we found a few cars stopped so asked what was happening “You just missed a pride of lions crossing the road”, which resulted in pelicans in the back from the rats, but we hung around for 10 minutes and eventually spotted them through thick bush down by the riverbed.

The rest of the drive to Nkuhlu produced a few locals, but it was generally rather quiet and there’s something about KNP when it’s cold, windy and overcast that doesn’t work for me, so my beak was out, therefore after a pit stop we headed back to towards Croc Bridge.

A few km later on the way back we spotted 2 cars stopped when suddenly a male and lioness walked past, which set the panic in motion again “There!!, take a pic, where’s the #^@# camera, that’s the wrong camera again!!”

We eventually got a bush and bum pic.

Halfway back to Lower Sabie we found an old leopard kill in a tree, but no leopard or cars, which freaked me out, although it didn’t take long before the gang started gathering behind us, so we moved on.

Just before Lower Sabie a “snot box” landed in the road which got the Cow highly excited so I had to pay the required attention to avoid the pelican and therefore chose to stop.

Just south of Lower Sabie a few ellie pulled in for a drink, then a few kudu arrived next to the road and some warties decided to live up to their food reputation by chowing something suspect.

The rest of the drive lacked enthusiasm and sightings, so we were back in camp for breakfast, but I soon lost my cool with the stove, so the Cow and Hawkeyes finished the cooking.

The rats had to make supper tonight as part of the deal for getting their own spot, so after our lunch/breakfast I listened quietly to the menu discussion and it turned out we were getting minute steak braaied by Bushpig, a salad made by Hawkeyes and toasties made by Albert. A few minutes later Bushpig and Albert had the wood packets open and they were getting things ready as dad does, so I decided to crack a beer and relax on the bed.

My relaxation was short lived as I heard a bang outside and then Albert’s fire engine started.

She had dropped a piece of wood on her toe and now the entire camp knew about it, but it was a serious ding for a junior.

After a greasing from the Cow for not showing enough concern for the toe, peace returned and I enjoyed a second dop while supervising the remaining fire preparation, but Albert wasn’t going near the wood again and sat with a long face watching.

This preparation from the rats felt like a potjie at a mate’s house and soon my teeth were hanging out from a few beers, but then I was brought back to reality by the Cow “It’s nearly 4pm, when are we leaving!!”

I complained about the traffic and how nice an early supper would be, but the Cow started packing the car, so it was time to duck for a short drive.

We chose to duck down the S25 towards the Biyamiti causeway, which is just before the private road turnoff, with the hope it would be quieter, although it didn’t look the same as April and many others seemed to have the same idea as the traffic was still hectic, but not as crazy as the tar.

We also found some legavaans getting intimate and a few giraffe cruising through the riverbed, but soon had to move for other cars, which became frustrating, so we ducked back to camp early for the rats to prepare supper.

As we hit the H4-2 I thought that we had missed some action as there were just cars everywhere, so didn’t know whether to turn left or right, but things seemed more concentrated towards Croc Bridge camp, therefore chose to turn right.

After 5 confused minutes we realized that there was nothing happening and this was just the queue of traffic moving towards the exit gate. Crazy stuff and one reason I will never stay in Croc Bridge again, as fighting this traffic every evening just trying to get back to camp isn’t my cup of tea.

Drama struck at our unit as the vervets had got their little fingers through the fridge cage and had stolen all our bread for the toasties off the top of the fridge and the kitchen was a complete mess, so the rats developed instant pelicans, therefore I ran off to the shop, but no bread, although I did find the last 6 rolls, so supper ended up minute steak hamburgers and salad.

The dogs started again, so the cotton wool and sleeping tablet made an early appearance.

To be continued

Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushcraft wrote: Those mating monitors were still operating the next day, so the male is one lucky dude X#X

Nile monitors are a polygynandrous species and will mate promiscuously. ;-) So go and check if it is the same one =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

7th July Croc Bridge

We woke to another very cold morning, again left camp just after 6am and this time had my torch, but the mist was hectic and ended up reflecting the light back at us.

The traffic piling in through the gate was also madness, so I had a pelican in 10 minutes, but the Cow was nagging to do the S28, so we ducked off that direction.

It was dark and the mist so thick that we couldn’t see more than 5 meters in any direction, so just cruised along slowly with the hope that something would walk in front of us, but no such luck.

When we reached the S28/S137 intersection I was sick of the S28, so we ducked down the S137 towards Duke’s waterhole and fortunately the mist started to lift enough to take pics and our first of the morning was this large ellie who refused to look at us.

The area either side of Dukes had been burnt and was almost devoid of life until a few km before the H4-2 where we found 5 or 6 Kori’s on a stroll and then a jackal on a mission.

We stopped a Lower Sabie for a break and then did a little of the H10, but I soon ambushed an oncoming driver who explained that things were very quiet, so we did a u-turn and headed towards Nkuhlu.

Just past Sunset dam we stopped to take a pic of a H4-1 local.

A few km before the S79 causeway we found a car stopped on the side of the road and as we pulled up next to them we spotted a lioness next to their passenger door, which got the blood flowing again, but unfortunately the lioness chose that moment to duck off into the bush before we could get a pic, which resulted in a mini tantrum from me. The other car moved off, but we chose to sit and wait, although in 10 minutes we had a gang of cars around us, so we slowly moved off and they all followed.

Once we had done about a 1km I turned and went back to the spot, much to the confusion of all following, but arrived back to no cars.

About half an hour later the Cow spotted the lioness and she was fairly close to the road, but in dense bush. We eventually managed a few pics before a new gang of cars arrived and the lioness went deeper into the bush.

I had given up on the Nkuhlu idea and decided to do 5km of the S21 to a little no name waterhole that we always visit, but this only produced a lone ellie and as it was so quiet we even stopped to take a pic of an impala for STF.

We stopped to spend some time at Sunset Dam and took a few pics of the locals before heading back towards Croc Bridge for breakfast.

The drive back down produced all the normal locals, so we stopped a few times, but didn’t take anymore pics until just before camp where we found some teenage giraffe fairly close to the road.

After breakfast/lunch I decided to cruise around camp with the rats while the Cow took a few pics of the camp locals.

The rats soon came up with their own mission, the Cow got into a book and I was left bored, so decided to crack a beer and check out the forum.

At around 3:30pm the Cow started to pace around, but I was involved with something on my laptop that I probably shouldn’t have been involved with while on holiday, so we soon had a drama on the go, but eventually all were in the car just after 4pm.

The H4-2 was still very busy and I had memories of the previous evening’s traffic, so again we ducked down the S25 towards Biyamiti for some peace.

We got peace in more ways than one though, but eventually found some 2 tawny’s in a tree just before the causeway.

We turned at the S139 Biyamiti road and started back for camp, but hadn’t done more than 100m when a lady stopped us and said that she had just seen a cheetah in the grass, but had now lost sight of it, so out came the binoculars and the mission started.

After half an hour of slowly driving backwards and forwards we eventually spotted it, but it was in thick grass and lying down so taking pics was almost impossible

We puzzled to focus through the grass for 10 minutes and the rats where hysterical as they couldn’t work out where it was, so tensions were rising rapidly. Fortunately and suddenly the cheetah sat up, which resulted in a chorus from the back as they could now all see it, but unfortunately the cheetah just ran off with speed in the opposite direction without looking back once.

The traffic was again crazy on the H4-2 back to the exit gate, so I was glad that we only had a short stretch from the S25 to put up with it.

I started a massive wood fire in camp and soon had the Cow greasing me as she thought a tree would catch alight, but halfway through the lecture a bush baby took off out the tree next to the braai, which created a distraction and the Cow was off after it with her camera, but never got a pic.

Tomorrow was the Cow’s birthday, so some planning took place and the rats said that they would charge over to our unit at around 5:30am to surprise mom with the presents.

We were moving up to Satara also, so it was going to be a long day, although I think we were all happy to be moving deeper into the park, hence it was an early night for all.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Pumbaa wrote:In know, Bushcraft,

but one day you will again be able to visit the park outside the school holidays O:V

Your sightings were indeed fantastic so far - Love especially the bushbuck as these antelopes are so very difficult to spot for us O/\
\O Pumbaa, We have a few years still before we can visit again outside the school holidays :O^

The H4-1 is full of bushbuck and easy to spot in the winter months \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Heksie wrote:There is a lot of burning that went down in the South-almost each road had burnt patches... How many animals do you think was affected by this?
At least even with the burnt grass you still got a few sightings on them: Great kori and jackal ^Q^
Then sorry about the lioness in the bush, they tend to frustrate people by either being too far or hide between branches and leaves 0:
Awesome sighting of the cheetah, even again behind grass, at least te spotty was spotted \O
Now for Satara 0()
Heksie 0/*

We found plenty burnt areas towards the Biyamiti area and we try to avoid them as much as possible. O/

We battled for the first few days to actually get a clear predator sighting and it gets frustrating 0*\

Yip, trip to Satara on its way in the next 20 minutes \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PRWIN wrote:Bc \O \O , You just making sure South Kruger will not see me again on long weekends and school holidays =O: =O: =O: =O:
=O: =O: =O: Yip, it gets hectic with the crowds O/

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”