MMC mornings and KPA days...*

Heksie

Re: MMC mornings and KPA days...

Post by Heksie »

Flutterby wrote:Some great pics of the smaller things Kruger has to offer...lovely! \O Glad your i10 made it through the flood! -O What is a Kruger Mimosa? :-?
Thanks Flutts, well when it is a quiet day on the roads we have to ensure we see something even if its a gogga O**
Ok a Kruger Mimmosa:
One long glass (WIlly beer is the best)... for those that don't know glasses just the normal 340ml glass
Fill up with ice (always very important)
Then 50ml cane
and then fill up with liquifruit breakfast punch

Only to be enjoyed when in the bush ;-)

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 3… a very long drive in the Park

Today we decide to drive to Tshokwane, it is one of the most diverse routes for me with dams, plains, riverines and dense bush. Also one of my favorite birding spots is Leeupan. As per usual when I wake up the gas stove is lit and a kettle starts boiling as we freshen up for the day. After Wendy starts her second MMC we wait in front of the Gate. I tell you this MMC gives people stamina they never had… When we get to park in front of reception Wendy runs like speedy Gonzales to get our day permits as these JJ’s do take their time getting papers filled. I do my third wee for the day and as I return to the car she already waits for me. We pour ourselves some fresh MMC and enter the park trigger happy.
On our way to Tshokwane we had the following sightings: A hyena strolling in the road,

And on the Skuks low water bridge a croc drifting in the river,

Something I’ve never seen before was this baba ellie suckling, the view wasn’t great but it still was special for me to see, and at least the ellies were calm and in no rush to chase us down the road.

We turn on the S83-eastern entrance again to go check out the golden ones, as they were spotted there a few times this weekend and we had luck with them 2 days ago. All we saw was some flatties, but a sighting no-less. It wasn’t even hot and they were as lazy as ever…

Back on the H1-2 and we see a family of mongeese..mongooses…dwarfs that is checking out their surroundings by getting a higher vantage point.

And as per habit we turn to leeupan and nothing…nada…niks. What is going on here? As we get back on the tar we heard that we just missed a mating pair of golden crossing the road and only got to take this gagga kiekie…

Don’t you just love the plains just after Kruger Tablets?

In summer the birding is lekker here as the LBR’s, euros and the bee eaters just love this country. Here is tow purple rollers (which is one of my fave birdies in the park)

We freshened up at Tshokwane and decided to go to Orpen dam, when we reached the T-junction we had found out very unfortunately that the road was blocked on our side of the dam and you had to drive via the H10. We did a u-turn and informed another car about this too, they told us that they want to take the S35 as they had a lion sighting on their lonesome the day before, oh well we have time so for a second time I made the mistake in taking this route. Exactly a year ago I drove this road with Cheets and we had to play a drinking game to occupy ourselves with this road… The road was basically dead just as last time. We had a few nice sightings throughout the 30+kms or so:

Some ground hornbills,

Rhino, but they are so well hidden with the grass, and with my car which is not high enough-this could’ve been the reason that we missed everything?

We also saw some army folks checking out the road… There were halfway in a lot of vulture activity, we think there somewhere for eyes unseen was a kill of some sort,

Some of my best Euro roller kiekies was taken today,

We also had kudu and zeb hidden by some grass,

On our way back there weren’t much to see than the regular, except these verves that entertained us just past Sandriver low level bridge.

We got home at 2 and started the fire as soon as some KPA’s were popped. It was chilling time again as the fire crackled and the breeze blew past us. I was between my book and the baraaing of the meat whilst Wendy made a fresh and crispy salad. We also discussed what afternoon route we want to do. Which was basically just the S65->H1-1 home. After having some lekker boerewors and couscous salad we packed in KPA’s in the coolerbox and went on our way to do round number 2… This didn’t pine out as we planned. Our first skrik was at S65 waterhole when we reached a turn and slowed down to a stop because we saw a car at the dam, and when I just looked to my right a breeding herd was 2m away from me… My eyes almost shot out of my head and if I had a weaker bladder then it would’ve been a wet moment… At least we made the occupants in the other car laugh as I never pulled away so fast in my life-our heads actually bobbed… Here they are after we calmed down.

And then just before klipspringerkoppies we had this sighting… it was a bit of a roadblock but we survived… He ticked away our time that we had to turn around and not go via H1-1 home.

We got to the gate just in time and a sigh of relief was breathed. As we got home another KPA was to opened to flush all the stress and excitement away of our afternoon drive and as we settled in our seats while the sun set we couldn’t be happier about the day we had in the Park. Life here is just bliss…

To be continued

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* Heksie

Now that's acute ellie baby suckling O\/ O\/ O\/

So you are a butterfly-lover -O -O -O , but that's hard work with the IDs. For a start I can tell you that yours from the previous episode is Mylothris agathina aptly named Common Dotted Border or Gewone voëlent-witjie ;-)

You had all the luck with cats and dogs O/\ O/\ O/\ and the Euroller in flight is a fantastic [O]

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 5… just chilling

Today we decided to take it as it comes, it was our last full day and we didn’t plan a route. We agreed that if we get at a crossing that we would go in the direction that we feel like. We also knew that most of the people would leave today as it was Easter Monday and tomorrow work would start again for the less fortunate-that’s why it’s just fantastic to be a teacher… We arrived early at the gate and was first which is something new for me. With MMC in the hand and standing outside breathing in the fresh air, well, ok, between polluting my lungs with smoke, just made me wish that we could stay for a few more days. It was very quiet at the gate and we got in really quickly as the system was offline. Refilling our cups with some magic and getting our cams ready, we entered the Park. On the H11 we had a close encounter with mr smiles.

Then I believe that this raptor is a Wahlberg? It’s much easier to ID these birds if they perch…

At the Skuks crossing we decided to go visit Renosterkoppiedam, on the way to our destination we had a few sightings, but it seems that the animals were just as chilled as us. The sightings were few and far between… some dwarf mongoose

And a wartie grazing

Then vultures circling in the air caught our attention, we had our eyes fixed on the sky and try to estimate where they are going to, now what luck do we have? As we turn the corner to the dam we see a few cars parked but nothing to worry us about and we stop to take some kiekies of the vultures.

When something caught our eye…
She started walking to the vultures which we believe were devouring the last of what could’ve been a kill? We had the best spot-if you could say that-as the rest of the cars were parked +- 50m from us.

We sat and enjoyed this for about 40 minutes, whilst the 3 ladies decided to have a morning snooze, nobody could see them except if one would lift her head every now and then, we weren’t in a rush. WE even thought that there would be some action as 3 warties in their direction and was a few metres from them and then froze, they then turned and quicly took flight. One of the ladies jumped up because of some curiosity but then went back to her comfortable position underneath the tree. It was a bit frustrating to direct the newcomers each time to where the lionesses were lying. It wasn’t as easy as with the leppie the other day. We had to use the crooked tree as a pinpoint.

We had this family that parked on either side of us… Oh my word how we had a face-in-the-hand moment. First it takes a while to direct them to the kitties, and yes! Binocs was necessary for this activity. Then when they get it, the oomie climbs out of his car-JA-walks past our car to give his binocs to his son/cousin/nephew and explain to him where they are… We were flabbergasted at what was playing out in front of us. I couldn’t utter a word but at least Wendy in a very high voice informed the oke that he cannot do this. He laughed it off. So I started the car and moved in a complete opposite direction before I totally lost it.

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Wahlbergs are not renowned for visiting kills, and aren't around much in the winter months!

Tawny eagles are very often at kills, and are resident! \O

Just some urgent questions here, Seksie!:

What is your rugby team? Do you like Marmite? Do you prefer bath or shower?

Very important for our files! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 5… the peacefulness continues-or that was what we thought

We decided to leave the crazy kitty peeps and drive down the S114, the S21 was unfortunately still closed because of the flood which was a big letdown but it wouldn’t deter our day so we just drove on. We came to a hyena den, but they were so well hidden that we weren’t able to take kiekies. It was a very slow drive with not a lot of sightings but also we didn’t have a lot of cars on our drive so it was really relaxing. We decided to turn on the S113 then turn back via the H3, we thought about returning home and just chill during the afternoon as this was definitely a different kind of trip. We wanted to calm our souls and just get away from our hectic workloads, and this was definitely a trip in which we felt that we really rested. On our way to Kruger Gate we had the following sightings:
Rhino in the distance

Mr Magnificent

Tortie

Ellie having some brunch

We got home and because this was our last braai, I gave Wendy the honor to start a wooden fire today. I popped open a KPA and got ready for my date with Tony Park on the stoep whilst Wendy started the fire, 30 minutes had passed and the fire was still not going, I told her to fan it and still nothing, just a leeetle bit of smoke. So I go check it out… the wood wasn’t packed lekker and the teabags which we soak in spirits to use instead of firelighters were already burnt. I get the braai tongs and get out 2 teabags, quickly lit it and put them in the fire after moving the wood a bit. Happy with what I did I look at the fire and suddenly I felt a bit too warm when Wendy shrieked: ‘Anri you’re on fire!!!’ I look down to see that my skirt caught fire and the first thing that jump to my mind was to get away from it so I jump out of my skirt and trample out the fire (BTW my fave skirt). When the excitement died down and the laughter receded she commented that she has never seen someone undress so quickly… NO pics though-sorry. I had to get something new to wear and sommer a new KPA to commemorate my loss, the rest of the afternoon went by smoothly as I didn’t come close to the fire or anything that could spark a fire. We had a great lunch and after getting the car ready went back in the Park for a afternoon drive. We decided to go check out if the ladies were still lazing around at Renosterkoppies and hoped that they would decide to move closer to the road. Here is some of our sightings:
I think this is a Gymnogene if I look at his face, but he seems a bit brown? Any help would be appreciated.

Kudu ewe

We got to Renosterkoppies and the ladies were still there-far far away hiding in the bushes, binocs were necessary to spot them as they weren’t on their original place. We were parked next to another oke that also climbed out of his car to hand another person back the binocs he borrowed. Whaaat!?! Do these people really don’t know that they aren’t allowed to do this? This was definitely day of the ‘idiot’ including myself…

Here is the ladies lasting about...

We soon left and went on the S112 to take the longer way back to Skuks. We had a few lekker sightings on our way to the Gate:
Rhino

Ellies just after a mudbath

And beautiful sunsets (nothing compares)

We got home and the kettle was boiled so that we can end a great and ‘exciting’ day with MMC. That night we sat and reminisced about our great trip that we had here at Sabie Park and also decided that we want to do a morning drive then come back to pack up then enter the Park for a last time to drive to Phabeni Gate as the drive is so much better than driving through the township to Hazyview. We were happy with our itinerary and then after another MMC went to bed.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

a comment from our dear WendyA again...
WendyA wrote:I’m getting threatening messages from Dear Heksie as I’ve been so quiet recently … work and life in general. But now there are SIX pages to catch up with …!!!

Anyway, here goes …

Heksie has kept you well updated on our drives and sightings but has asked me to elaborate on a couple of things …

Firstly, the morning that started “sourly”! This was Easter weekend and you can imagine the queues at Reception – especially as we were late waiting for the maid who never turned up.

Anyway, Heksie had got us our permits the day before (when there were no queues) and decides today that it is my turn to get the permits. We pulled up and there must have been about two dozen or more people in a queue that led WAY outside of the reception. I know when we get to Kruger we are all excited and can’t wait to get in, but some people …..

There were two staff members in Reception who were on “Go Slow” then there were the JJs who took AGES, and groups who decide they are going to split up and half of them go to one staff member and the other half to the other staff member but then there are delays because the one in Queue A is getting a wild card that includes a person who is in Queue B, etc, etc. I could feel my blood pressure increasing …

THEN, when it FINALLY got to the point where I was next in the queue, a lady walked in and went straight to the other counter and stood behind the person getting served there.

“Uh, HELLO???” I said. She just looked at me and said “What?”

“Did you not notice that we are in a queue?” I asked her.

“Oh, I thought you were in a queue for the other till.”

Yeah right …

She soon took her place at the back of the queue.

I finally got our permits and returned to the car where my MMC was STONE COLD – NOT a good start to the morning.

The next day, however, we were the first car in the queue. We drove in and I got out and started walking to reception … next thing I heard people running behind me!!! Well, you should have seen me – there was NO WAY I was letting them get in front of me, I also legged it and got to reception first – it was very funny!

And now the wood fire episode … let me just give you my thoughts on this … I knew there was not a lot to a wood braai – you put the firelighters down, stack the wood on top and there you go ... The trouble I’ve had previously is that once the firelighters have burnt, there is just SMOKE and no FIRE.

Anyway, Heksie - who I’m sure knows how to make fire by rubbing two sticks together – did exactly what I would have done and within a couple of minutes had a LEKKER FIRE with FLAMES!

So, our last day it was my go. I’d been given the tip about using teabags instead of firelighters and had passed this on to Heksie. Instead of throwing your teabags away when you’re finished, dry them out, put them in a Ricoffy tin and pour about a third of a bottle of paraffin on them. The teabags soak up the paraffin and make great, cheap, firelighters. I don’t think Heksie listened when I was telling her though and I reckon she poured in a WHOLE bottle of paraffin on top of her teabags so when you take them out they are dripping!!!

Anyway, there were lekker flames at first on my wood fire, burning off what I'm sure was about an entire cup of paraffin on the THREE teabags lit under the wood. However, once again,, as this had burnt off, SMOKE.

So, Heksie to the rescue ...

She got more of her dripping teabags out of the Ricoffy pot, and lit them just in front of her, I could not believe it. The flames at the front of her skirt where the paraffin was dripping!!!!

I have NEVER seen Heksie move so fast, the skirt was pulled down and she was jumping up and down on it … what a sight! I wish I’d had my camera!!!

PS - I now buy wood well in advance of my trips to the park and make sure it's nice and dry. I've also learnt to stand FAR away from Heksie when she's putting teabags dripping with paraffin on to the fire!

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 6… The best for last

So with heavy hearts we wake this morning knowing that it would be our last morning drive, at least we still have a few hours in the Park. Our plan for today is a short morning drive then hopefully be back at 10:00 so we can pack up and then go to Hazyview via the S1. After my shower I pour a MMC and after packing in the box with the coffee, sugar, flask and offcourse our MM we are on our way again to the Park. This morning the row in front of the Gate was a bit longer, we weren’t concerned at all as we were trying to make the best of our last day. We get the permit and enter the Park deciding that we want to drive the S65 and then from there to Renosterkoppies. It’s very quiet in the car as we take in the bush in its splendor and we scan the veld for any movement when we see a 2 car roadblock in the road…
Together we comment ‘mmmmmmmmm’ and as we creep forward I bellow ‘Hyena’ exactly the same time when Wendy shrieks ‘wild dog’ WHAAAAAT!...

Yeah you better believe it! We didn’t get much kiekies of them together because the doggies moved off, they went straight past us and I quickly made a u-turn. We followed them a few metres up the road and got a few nice pics.

Then after about 10 minutes with them they moved off in the bush. We turn around towards the hyenas. It seems that the doggies had made a kill earlier the morning and them there was a bit of a fight between them and the hyenas won. The ugly mongrels produced much bettek kiekies then the doggies but this was a lot of fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/765oIftHWNc

There were a few cars coming so we decided to move on, we got a nice pic of a zeb.

Then just passed Renosterkoppies on the S114 towards the H1-1 we had 3 golden manes lying in the long grass. There were a bit of traffic but nothing to bother us and we got a bit of time to take a few pics.

We turned towards home and quickly packed up so we could spend a bit more time in the Park… We were done in less than an hour and the house was squeaky clean. With a fully packed car, cameras on our laps and MMC in the hand it was time for round two in the Park. Our first sighting was this LBR,

Then warties,

And an ellie

Then a verve keeping us a bit entertained,

Then we had swifts in the road,

We also had a rhino cooling off,

We had the following sightings on the last stretch as we decided to exit via Numbi and not Phabeni, buff, a DCG and cute dwarfies but it seems that I have deleted/lost/any other reason for me not to have it my kiekies and can’t show them of. This was our trip full of some excitement, a lot of laughter and just too many magic milk but who can complain as we decided to book another trip for December…

Until the next adventure starts

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”