Brown's in Kruger April 2012

Bushcraft

Re: Brown's in Kruger April 2012

Post by Bushcraft »

April 7th Skukuza to Lower Sabie continued

Four dogs suddenly appeared in the road, which got the Cow talking again “There! There’s another one”. Three cars had also stopped up ahead and I first thought it was because they spotted the dogs in their rear view mirror, but they weren’t moving and these four dogs took off in that direction, so we followed.

We quickly spotted why the other four had run off in the direction of the other cars, but we were battling to get a gap to see all the action. Eventually the one car moved forward giving us a view, which immediately shut the rats up in the back, because the reality of nature was unfolding in front of them

I was amazed at how quickly they polish things off and in a few minutes there was nothing left.

Albert wasn’t impressed “Daddy they aren’t nice doggies and they still stink”. I ignored Albert as I was overexcited with all the action, but I did notice that suddenly the back windows had gone halfway up, so the rats had realized that these aren’t your average domestic dog.

Last year we witnessed a leopard taking out an impala next to the road and it gave the overconfident Bushpiggy the fright of her life and I wondered if this would have a similar effect on Albert who is dog crazy, but a few minutes later Albert was chatting away “Mommy they are running around our car”

Then it was as if someone flicked a light switch as they all calmed down again and lay all around us.

The Garmin was starting to indicate that we had to push on back to camp, but I decided to stick it out with the dogs as long as possible, because although we had been lucky this trip with dogs, we have had trips where we have really battled to find them and in April 2011 only found them on our last day, so we had to make the most of it.

I was relaxing deep in thought when a small scrap started next to our car, which caught me by surprise and I wondered if shaky bum was trying his luck again.
It was over in a second, but Hawkeyes was awake and got a pic and then one ran past so close to the car that the Cow, who had grabbed my camera, didn’t have time to zoom out again.

After the leopard story I sequestered my camera back from the Cow and took a departing shot of one chap showing us his teeth.

We drove back to camp in relative silence, I think because we were all realizing that this was our last night.

By the time we arrived back at camp I had a serious Sunday night back to work pelican face on, which got worse when I discovered the reason why there were two bench tables next to our unit.

Our neighbours were having a birthday party and people had arrived from all over the camp, so the Cow immediately said “RELAX”, therefore I went straight for the G&T.

That’s about when I realized that EH5’s have no utensils, so the G&T went into my “coffee” mug and it would have to be an eat off the braai night.

A few of the neighbours had obviously had an early start with the dops and although their conversion was loud it wasn’t annoying as they were talking such rubbish about how to find certain animals that I couldn’t help but sit, listen in and have quiet laugh into my G&T mug.

My amusement changed to horror 10 minutes later when a drunken aunty put a child on her shoulders and started charging around the place in circles screaming “Kameelperd”, which I thought was a camel.

The Cow spotted my pelican and said “And now”, so I responded “Can you not see or hear the drunken ostrich lookalike that thinks it’s a camel charging around”

A “Kameelperd is a giraffe and a kameel is a camel”. This confused me even more “Isn’t a perd a horse”, “Yes”, so a giraffe in Afrikaans is a “Camel Horse”. Now the Cow was confused.

After about 5 laps the “Camel Horse” smacked its toe on a root, which ended the charging around abruptly, but promises were made that more would continue tomorrow night, which was the first time that I was thankful for the fact that we weren’t going to be around.

I decided to mentally switch off to the neighbours by drinking more G&T.

To be continued (last post)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

April 8th Lower Sabie to Home

Our final morning had arrived and as per normal everyone was quiet and very subdued. The car packing mission took place in silence and we were second in the queue at the gate.

The plan this morning was to head down to Croc Bridge at the speed limit and hopefully make the Swazi border just after 8am, but the Cow started at the gate “Let’s go and look for the dogs up the road first”, “NO, it’s 8 hours to Toti already, we are stopping for major sightings only”, which caused long lips in the car, but at some stage one has to realize that you have to go home unfortunately.

The lead car at the gate turned right when the gates opened, so we were in front heading down to Croc Bridge

I had that usual sick feeling in the stomach that one gets when it’s time to leave Kruger and I’m sure that the rest of the clan felt the same as we drove in silence for the first 10km, which is very unusual in our car, but things changed big time just before the S130.

The Cow shrieked “What’s that in the road up ahead”, which woke me with a fright from my sulky day dreaming and caused a small swerve in the road.

I was now wide awake and paying attention “Forget what’s in the road, check to the right”

We stopped next to the main man, but his brother was about 30m further up the road rolling around in something.

About 5 minutes later the brother up the road started roaring, which got all in the car wild with excitement.

I shrieked “This guy next to us is going to go” and he went with such a volume that it felt like the car was shaking and the rats all got the fright of their lives.

After the roaring finished all the rats had eyes like saucers, because although they have heard lions roar before, this chap had a built-in amplifier.

Albert looked like she was about to bawl and squawked “Mommy he was too loud and he scared me”

The rowdy chap seemed content to continue sun tanning so we moved up the road to check out the brother.

This guy was seriously interested in something on the road and spent his time licking it and then rolling in it.

A few cars from Lower Sabie had gathered around Rowdy who had become restless, so was heading our direction marking his territory.

The brothers didn’t share much of a greeting and then went on a morning patrol together. We drove along with them for about 15 minutes before they ducked off in the bush.

A few km later a hyena suddenly stepped into the road, but ran straight back into the bush again. We stopped next to him and all we could see was this little face.

The next minute The Cow was gagging “The stink is terrible”. On closer inspection we realized that this chap had been in a fight and his ears were in a really bad condition.

The rest of the way to Croc Bridge produced elephant, giraffe, rhino and most of the usual gang.

The drive over the Crocodile River when leaving the park is never a great feeling, but I had about 8 hours of driving to mentally plan our next trip

Lastly, thanks to all of you guys that have shared our adventure with us and for allowing us the opportunity to relive our trip.

Bushcraft, the Cow and the Rats.

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

BC, once again an absolutely awesome TT. I felt like i was riding along with you guys \O \O \O

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
The Cow

Post by The Cow »

I see that you were lazy on this one BC. :twisted: Where’s the comments //\0--

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

The Cow wrote:I see that you were lazy on this one BC. :twisted: Where’s the comments //\0--
Don't the ladies normally do the comments??? Ei :twisted:

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Sprocky wrote:
The Cow wrote:I see that you were lazy on this one BC. :twisted: Where’s the comments //\0--
Don't the ladies normally do the comments??? Ei :twisted:
\O \O Put her in her place Sprocky -O \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Poplap wrote:Hiya BC, it seems you got lazy and did not transfer all the oohs! and aahs! here. //\0-- :D
Common theme? O** O** O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Mel wrote:
Poplap wrote:Hiya BC, it seems you got lazy and did not transfer all the oohs! and aahs! here. //\0-- :D
Common theme? O** O** O**
You are out to finish me off tonight //\0-- ^0^ -O -O -O

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Image BC, what is it with you and cooler bags and ice buckets and your need for ablution facilities? :-? 0- Mwhaohaaohaaaa-snort-hehehehehoooo. Had such a good laugh, afraid that I will wake up the Oom and the LO. So easy to picture you panicking like crazy... Image and throwing the 'intestines' of the ice bucket on the inferno. Resulting in an even bigger panic-attack and fear of the Cow's scorn. ImageImageImage

A great start to your TT, as always capturing the audience's attention at the onset. Pity about the warthogs begging, but still very cute. And the :shock: scorpion. I only made it to Albert's red beetle, and how sweet! She clearly loves it a lot, and I must admit, a jolly good photo. ;-) Will read the rest soon. Image

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Poplap

Post by Poplap »

:shock: O**

Came to check if my message posted ok and noticed that Mrs Bees and I are on the same wavelength... Image

:twisted:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”