Dzombo back in the bush

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Dzombo back in the bush

Post by Mel »

Darn, I'm lagging behind...

Wonderful sightings you had, methinks. Leopard top of the pops, but the hornbill makes me green
as I will never get to see that kind in KTP - unless it lost its way. -O

Oh, and bateleur is always a fav. No matter if adult or not. I really adore them. O/\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

Great pics and sightings!!

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Flutts, Nan, Mel, BB,

Thanks.

I need to upload some more photos, and will then do the next road......

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

S118

Giraffe
Impala
Rhino
Waterbuck
Zebra

Did this road a few times and it was usually very productive, with multiple sightings of the above list.

Though after some heavy rains, the road itself was in a poor condition and very muddy in places

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O \O

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

H3

Baboon
Buffalo
Impala
Giraffe
Kudu
Lion
Hyena
Wildebeest
Rhino
Elephant
Warthog
Zebra

I did this road a good many times. And despite a few slow drives, it was largely productive.
Because of the rains on Xmas day that resulted in the sand roads around B & D being closed, I ended up doing this drive more often than I had planned. But generally it was worth doing.

On our last evening drive we were watching some Elephants near the S110/S114 junction, and someone rolls down their window and kindly tells us that there were some lions down the S110, but they were quite a few km away. I didn't think we should have bothered, as you know what happens, off you go, and there will be nothing there. But my 5 year old daughter insists we go, followed by my nieces, so off we go. As we get near, a whole lot of cars come the other way. Not a good omen! And we get to the spot, one or two cars still there, but the lions....were gone.
My daughter was upset, but clearly nothing I could do!
Next morning, our last proper drive, she says she wants to come with (it was normaly only my son and myself that woke up early for a 5am departure). She says, she is happy to wake up early "because daddy will find me lions". No presure! In her mind, I was going to deliver!
We leave B & D, down the tar S110, and then onto the H3. We see a few Impala, and an Elephant. As we approach the junction of the sand S110/S114, there is a massive traffic jam! From right at the back of the queue I can see up the slight slope that there is a male Lion lying on the ground. Point him out to my kids, but with the traffic, and the grass etc, you could just see a bit of the head moving. But my daughter is happy. Suddenly it gets up and starts walking up the road, and the cars start following. I am still at the back of the queue.
As I am about to pull off, I see a movement next to the passenger door, and there is another male Lion standing next to my car! He walks behind my car and crosses the road next to us. And then starts walking up the road and I am next to him. Alone, as the rest of the crowd were following the first Lion.
After about 5 mins, some people did see him and started reversing. And we left at this point. But for the rest of the day my daughter thought I was a hero. She asked, and I had delivered!

Actually, this turned out to be an incredible drive - more later

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Some more lovely sightings.. ^Q^ ^Q^

Love your squirting ellie.. -O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Bushcraft