Browns in Kruger September 2019

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger September 2019

Post by Bushcraft »

Pumbaa wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:40 pm WoW Bushcraft,

now the lions popped in and even so many and so close \O but the bush is looking desperately dry as I know this area completely green when we have been there :-( :-( :-(
Thanks Pumbaa, yes it was a lucky lion day \O

It's always very dry in September/October, but due to this it's obviously much easier to find animals, however many of the birds are missing

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

28th Talamati to Biyamiti continued

I was so keen to get to Biyamiti and just relax that I was almost irritated as a wild dog crossed the road in front of us =O: 0: , however the Cow and Rats woke up big time. The lone teenage dog cruised into what seemed to be a drainage line and highlighted more dogs that we hadn’t seen yet.

27.jpg
27.jpg (185.64 KiB) Viewed 474 times
28.jpg
28.jpg (191.91 KiB) Viewed 474 times

The dogs all went to sleep and it didn’t look like they were going to move until later, so we finally moved on to Biyamiti just after 3pm.

After unpacking everybody did their own thing, but I sometimes battle to sit still, so Albert and I explored around camp and found ellies, bushbuck and some buffalo sleeping in the riverbed while Hawkeyes stalked francolins around the unit.

29.jpg
29.jpg (165.42 KiB) Viewed 474 times
31.jpg
31.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I have a wood fire ritual at Biyamiti, mainly because it extends the time outside around flames and Albert seems to be as fascinated as me with fire because she always takes pics.

32.jpg
32.jpg (69.99 KiB) Viewed 473 times

After supper I conned the clan to walk the fence line with me in the dark to look for animals but it turned into an interesting event as every small noise got the clan assuming an attack from an unseen animal was imminent and my odd war story dropped in didn’t help.

“There’s something following us!”

“I can’t see the floor, what if there’s a snake, shine where we are walking, Dad you are walking too fast”

“Keep up you lot”

“There’s something following us!”

The Cow was certain that something was moving around on the fence line behind us and I had heard a rustle, however I thought nothing of it, but enjoyed playing along, so I aimed the torch down the fence line behind us and to my surprise eyes reflected back which got the clan jabbering big time.

It took a few seconds to ID the suspect as it was about 30m from us

“What is it? Wait, it’s a civet!”

The civet was still slowly heading our direction, so we planned an ambush. I gave the Cow the torch, got the camera ready and we waited in the dark quietly listening for movement.

The dark shape continued to approach along the fence line and I was grinning in the dark as I could see that the civet was going to cruise straight past us, but I expected it to bolt as soon as we put the torch on, however it initially just parked off looking at us.

33.jpg
33.jpg (154.86 KiB) Viewed 473 times

The Civet stood still checking us out for around 20 seconds and then looked around and continued with its mission so we followed along until it sat down to watch us again.

34.jpg
34.jpg (170.86 KiB) Viewed 473 times
35.jpg
35.jpg (164.77 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

After spending 20 minutes with the civet we decided to leave him/her in peace and headed back towards our unit, but the waving torch light picked up something in the lower branches of a tree just down from our unit and we initially thought that it was a yellow tennis ball stuck in the tree, however as we got closer it became apparent that it was a bird.

36.jpg
36.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 472 times

The bright yellow chested bird refused to wake up even though we were standing directly under it; hence we never got to see the face, so we had no chance of an ID, however skilled birders may still be able to offer an ID.

We sat in the dark at the unit for around another half an hour chatting before everybody cruised off to bed.

To be continued

Alf

Post by Alf »

Wild dogs and then the civet inside camp ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What brilliant stuff, Bushy! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

An advantage of having less noise and light at a bush camp? ..0..

but I sometimes battle to sit still

Understatement of the decade! =O:

And wild dog! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great sighting and pics of the civet!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Those sleeping wild dogs are not easy to spot, if not by the smell O**

I must admit that the fire looks fascinating \O

Great encounter with the civet O:V Being night animals they are not seen very often \O

The yellow bird is most likely a village weaver.
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am Wild dogs and then the civet inside camp ^Q^ ^Q^

Ja, an unexpected luck \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:29 am What brilliant stuff, Bushy! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

An advantage of having less noise and light at a bush camp? ..0..

but I sometimes battle to sit still

Understatement of the decade! =O:

And wild dog! :-0

X#X RP

If I could afford it I would only stay in bush camps ;-)

I sit still longer with age :twisted:

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”