Shipandani Overnight Hide S 142 (Close to Mopani)

Information & Discussion on the Hides & Picnic Spots in Kruger
Toko

Shipandani Overnight Hide S 142 (Close to Mopani)

Post by Toko »

Shipandani Overnight Hide is close to Pioneer Hide and overlooks the Tsendze River. During the day it's a normal hide, at night it's and overnight facicility aand you have to book it. The hide has foldout beds, bathroom and closed-off braai area for overnight guests.

How to get there:
The closest camps to Shipandani are Mopani Rest Camp and Shimuwini Bushveld Camp. From Mopani, follow the tarred road out for 1.5km and turn right onto the H1-6. After 2.5 km, turn right onto the S142 and follow it for 1.5 km. Just after the Tsendze River crossing, you’ll see the hide on your right.

GPS coordinates: -23.53011, 31.40928

serval

Re: Shipandani Hide

Post by serval »

Highly recommended !
It has a wilder feel to it than Sable , in my opinion well worth the R400 odd per night , for which you can take 5 friends as it must be booked en bloc .
Ideally book it and be alone .

The beds are stored against the wall and fold down to rest on the benches , when you check in you are given the keys to the padlocks for them and the boma behind the hide & the toilet . You must bring a water jerry can & bedding (both of which are included in the tarrif.)
Occupation time is 30 minutes before camp closing time , beds must be stowed up against the wall 30 min after camp gate opening .

The boma .

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

You must bring a water jerry can & bedding (both of which are included in the tarrif.)
Does that mean, you are given the jerry can & the bedding when you check in for the hide.
Or does it mean you should be getting it, but have to bring your own despite the fact that it's included?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks for this serval \O \O

serval

Post by serval »

It means that SanParks supplies both of these items , though unexplicably 2 weeks ago there were no water jerry cans available , and as I had not brought mine along I insisted that they did supply one , which they delivered to me at the hide.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thanks for the info, serval. \O

0*\ about the jerry can, but at least they got it you.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
mouseinthehouse

Post by mouseinthehouse »

Brilliant photos ^Q^ ^Q^

We didn't have any pachyderm visitors whilst there in September but it was a wonderful night. Will definitely book another sleep over in the future.

We weren't aware of SP supplying a water can and they didn't mention it at the time. I had also failed to read the fine print that a cash deposit was necessary when picking up the key - we didn't have enough cash at the time so they took our entry/exit permit and held it as surety. :O^

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great sightings PRWIN. \O

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

The large 1100 strong Mopani area herd of buff comes to drink ..afternoon light is perfect for photography at Shipandane which is the best place in Kruger to observe the rare and elusive and nocturnally active White Backed Night Heron...right in front of the hide on the far bank ...not many people are aware of that

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Nice pic. \O

Return to “Gates, Hides, Lookouts & Picnic Spots in Kruger”