Satara Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Satara Rest Camp

Post by Toko »

What is interesting to see in the vicinity of Satara Rest Camp?

This is a short overview of AW Flavours of the Month in the Satara Rest Camp:

Bangu Windmill S90
Mazithi Dam H1-3
Nsemani Dam H7
S33 Vutome Road & Vutome Damhttp://www.sagr.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=586
S35 Lindanda Road & S37 Trichardt Road https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=592
S39 Timbavati Road & Timbavati Picnic Spot https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1566
H7 (Orpen - Satara) https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2456
S100 N'wanetsi River Road https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=2967
S90 Old Main Road https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=3191
S36/S33/H1-3/S125 https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4094
H1-4 (Satara - Olifants) https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4652

Poplap

Satara Rest Camp

Post by Poplap »

BunnyHugger

Re: Satara Rest Camp

Post by BunnyHugger »

Satara is situated central-south in Kruger. The GPS Co-ordinates for the turnoff to the camp gate are 25 deg 23 min 29.44 S and 31 deg 46 min 51 E.

The topology is open plain Savannah.

The camp itself is medium sized and well situated. It has a camping section for caravan and camping enthusiasts. Dams close by worth mentioning are Girivana and Nsemani.

Close hides are Ratel Pan and Sweni.

Close Picnic spots are Timbavati and N'wanetsi.

On the east boundary is a water hole which can be seen from the restaurant deck.

It is definitely among my favoured camps. Local resident animals include thick tailed bush babies and Scops owls.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Definitely one of our most favourite camps, albeit quite busy.

The advantage of this camp is that it is in close proximity of a variety of routes - from the Sweni to the S100 to the Timbavati to the Nwanetsi to the Mavumbye to the Gudzane to the Olifants to the Leeubron Road... I think you're getting my drift. One can easily stay here for a week without being on the same road twice.

The camp is divided in various circles

Accommodation:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Satara is in the middle of prime game viewing territory and because of this is probably one of the most popular camps in Kruger. Many refer to this area as being the lion capital of the park and for good reason.

The large campsite section which is along the fence line is another major attraction, but the rest of the camp is flat and not particularly pretty.

The majority of the bungalows are arranged in 6 large circles in the centre of the camp, but there is a row of 2 sleeper units on the perimeter which are definitely the best bet.

There’s also a restaurant/deli, a fully stocked shop, swimming pool, jungle gym for the kids and a day visitors section.

I have added a little detail to RP's pic for orientation

There are 3 x guest houses (Wells, Frankel and Stanley), 10 x family bungalows (GC6BD, GC6B & GC5), 152 x 2 and 3 sleeper bungalows (BG2, BD2V, BD3B, BD3E, etc), and 100 camp sites, so again this camp offers something for everyone.

Guest Houses

Wells sleeps 6 in 3 bedrooms, Frankel 10 in 5 bedrooms and Stanley 9 in 3 bedrooms.

Wells is next to the reception area and IMO the worst of the 3. Frankel was refurbished a few years ago (due to fire damage), so fairly new still. Stanley is old, but still in an awesome location.

Frankel and Stanley are next to each other and have their own little water hole on the other side of the fence, so plenty game can be viewed from your veranda.
My personal favourite is Stanley with the only moan being that it has a very small stove compared to other guest houses and only 1 bathroom has a shower.

All have limited DSTV.

Stanley

The View from Stanley

The Waterhole

The Lounge

Family Cottages

There are 9 x 6 bed units and a single 1 x 5 bed unit. 4 of them have a double bed and the others only single beds. I have stayed in about 5 different ones and with the exception of small changes in furniture; they are more or less the same.

GC6B Units

Bungalows

There are 152 two and three sleeper bungalows, which all have a fridge, a bath/shower and toilet, but the BG units don’t have utensils or a hot plate like the BD type units.

19 of the 152 are BD2V’s, which are the best of the lot because they are on the perimeter. People seem to have different opinions of which are the best of these, but 161, 167 and 173 look cool in my opinion.

BD3B Units

Camping

There are 100 camp sites, 90 with power, and 10 without. Many of the sites are along the fence line and although a little further from the ablutions, they are definitely the ones to go for.

One of the best is in the North West corner of the camp as its private and close to the ablutions. The North East section has more shade, but is further from the loo.

There are 3 ablution blocks due to the size of the camp site

General Info

The Mananga 4x4 trial is booked at Satara reception on the day of the drive and you may not book it after 11am.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks for that, BC!

Also Satara hes two waterholes, the one above, and the Sp Webcam one opposite the restaurant! \O

Satara is probably Kruger's best Camp, to be honest, if one were to combine all factors:

- Reasonable accessability

- Reasonable availability

- Stunning selection of roads in the area

- Excellent chance of predators, esp. Lion

- Excellent facilities

- Good all-round game...with rhino regular these days, so big 5 when in the past it was a problem

- Brilliant waterholes, picnic spots and dams in all directions.

- Good visibility in wet months

On the downside:

- Unpleasant and barren Campsite, unless you're lucky

- Lack of rare antelope

- Lack of river/dam/mountain view

What to look for:

Wildebeest, lion

Knobthorn tree

Ostrich
Last edited by Richprins on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

We have booked a GC6BD cottage. O\/ Is there any particulkar number that I should request with regards to view, postion in camp ets ets..?

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote:We have booked a GC6BD cottage. O\/ Is there any particulkar number that I should request with regards to view, postion in camp ets ets..?
STF, they are all in the same circle and nowhere near the fence. I have stayed in about 6 different ones and they are all similar -O-

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much B.C. You do realise of course, that with you being in the Kruger just before us, I am going to be expect a fully detailed report on where to see leopards, mating lions, wild dog, aardvark, honey badger and with luck some impala. :twisted: :twisted:

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote:Thanks very much B.C. You do realise of course, that with you being in the Kruger just before us, I am going to be expect a fully detailed report on where to see leopards, mating lions, wild dog, aardvark, honey badger and with luck some impala. :twisted: :twisted:
=O: =O: =O: I will leave my notes in unit 223 at Skukuza ;-) \O

Return to “Camps of Kruger”