Quiet Camps in Kruger National Park

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Bushcraft

Quiet Camps in Kruger National Park

Post by Bushcraft »

This seems to be a controversial issue, especially coming from me with 3 kids under 12, but after my recent Kruger trip, decided to relay my experiences and see how others felt about it.

I have stayed in most camps south of Mopani, including all the bush camps, safari tents, huts, chalets, bungalows, guest houses, etc, only haven’t camped, but experienced the camping section visiting mates and during safari tents stays.

The one thing in common with all of the above is that there always seems to be a crowd somewhere that doesn’t give a toss about their neighbour and ruin the entire Kruger experience for others.

I had major issues at Talamati on the 1st of April, unit 14 next us where others in the camp pulled in and had rowdy social next to us. Even my kids where complaining. Others in the camp had also organized a “jol” in the boma and at 11pm we could still hear them. This is a “bush camp!!” I have stayed there 3 other times and never had an issue.

The 2 worst cases of the noise that I experienced came from guest houses at Skukuza and recently Keartland at Lower Sabie, where one hires the guest house and others in the group hire accommodation elsewhere in camp, but all pull in to the guest house for a jol. (last week at Keartland)

Major issues at Tamboti only once, but in other main camps many, many times. Maybe others go outside of school holidays, so never have an issue, but lately I find it’s more out of control parents then kids.

The only camp that I have never had an issue in is Biyamiti (stayed there 8 times). I’m not sure if it’s the type of person that visits this camp, in that they have more respect for others. Also if one considers the numbers in the camping section in close proximity to each other, I find it relatively controlled, so maybe “most” Kruger campers also have more respect for their neighbours -O-

I’m not sure of the current SANParks rules with regard to noise, but I would love to at least see the duty manager or a dedicated staff member on duty who walks around camp between 6pm and 10pm just to make sure that things are in order for all, or sell camps as “no noise” camps.

Maybe I was raised differently by my parents and need to fit in with this “new Kruger visitor” 0*\

Flutterby

Re: Quiet Camps in Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

Unfortunately you are always going to come across people who have no regard for others, and obviously these people are not there to enjoy the quiet of the bush!! -O- I don't remember ever seeing a duty manager patrolling at night but would be a great idea! \O

mouseinthehouse

Post by mouseinthehouse »

We have been lucky and not had any noisy intrusions that I can recall right now.

I think Shimuwini must be like Biyamiti - it is so quiet and peaceful there and I love it. The manager who used to be there up until recently would do the rounds after dark as everyone was cooking their braai and enquire if everything was in order. That impressed me. \O

I have no patience for people yahooing into the early hours. Once my two boys and I were staying at a good hotel in Adelaide. At 2.30a.m. the people in the next room were still making a ruckus. A call to the duty manager failed to move him into action. So I went down the lift in my pyjamas with my pillows and bedding and told him in no uncertain terms that he either went up there and put a stop to it or I would make a bed up on the restaurant floor and still be there when breakfast was served! Five minutes later silence reigned. :twisted:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O: =O: Must try that!! =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

=O: =O: =O: =O: X#X

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

-O

Can Imagine BC sleeping in the restaurant at Skukuza! Don't give him ideas!

But ja...school holidays are a nightmare, along with long weekends, BC...hence many preferring to head to lesser camps.

That is no excuse at all, though, and the rules are there to be enforced, end of story! :evil:

Duty managers' cell numbers are pretty readily available, and that is the way to go! \O

Should they not answer, report it under "needs attention", and I'll get the message through by hook or by crook! :twisted:

viewforum.php?f=76

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Bushcraft,

I've observed the same as you and wonder why no-one is checking if its quiet around 9pm and before gate closing time if you belong in the camp. At most campsite you just pull in and no-one check your reservation and if you more than 6 person per campsite.

During every holiday so far we found more than 2 cars per campsite in Kruger and KTP. I am not sure if they love each other so much that the separation standing on another site that is not next to the friends/family is to big or is it simply that they only booked one site.

At Mokala we had 5 caravans on 3 sites plus the 5 cars (don't need to say, because its logic but just to explain the extra vehicle and caravans). We also thought these guys were in for a party, but the only noise from them was a large generator running from 6 - nearly 12 pm and starting up again early morning). At this camp no park official was there after the braais and bathrooms were cleaned in the morning and you are miles away from any ranger or officer. If we had a loud crowd of say 12 people what can you do as a single guy if they do not like when you ask them to keep quiet. It actually becomes a security risk when you are so far away from the nearest office and cellphone reception poor. We were lucky it was only the generator we had to bear and decided not to have any conflict with them and reported it only the next morning.

At Mata-Mata it was a noisy crown from Province (also 4 cars per 2 sites) that kept on talking untill 3 am. At gate opening time they slept and only started moving around 11 am. Why on earth do you drive 1300 km only to drink. Again no-one on duty to report them to during the night. Only option is to ignore or complain, but you usualy do not get a sympathatic response from the rowdy neighbours if you do complain.

In Etosha a completely different story. A security guard patrols the campsite area from 9 pm and during the day it will not take more than 30 minutes before the guard comes and checks that you standing at the correct number and did book in at reception.

So what is my positive experience? Only the camps that have control as long as no .....rangers camp there (just a joke now ^0^ ) Peaceful and quiet camping can only be found at Balule, because of Titus making sure all is in place. At Tsendze Rogers tries his best, but if the camp is very full it is for him impossible to be every where and you do find a bit of noise but not too late. At least he is close-by if you need to report any party animals, besides the hyeanas and elephants outside the fence. \O . Therefore the best time to visit Tsendze is during the warmer months and not in the winter.

Before SANParks invest in new activities just improve visitors experience at the current camps with better control of the number of people and the noise level. Thats my 2 cents worth of advice.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very good 2 cents, BJ! ^Q^

At gate opening time they slept and only started moving around 11 am.

I do that... :o0ps: 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi RP,

Is that when you visit Kruger or at school teaching. After tea time only 2 hours of work left. -O -O

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I'm blessed that Kruger is nearby, BJ...so often just relax/sleep...

But deathly quiet! :twisted:

Return to “Camps of Kruger”