The Harsh reality of our wild animals

Helping you to be a Responsible Tourist
Scipio

The Harsh reality of our wild animals

Post by Scipio »

I have not done this in a while, but recent American Take-Away in a certain Lion park, and response to it and various theories I just had to.

Some might know that I spend more than just 50% of my current life in the bush. Kalahari, Namib, Kruger, in the ocean with Jaws, and loving it. Now my take on certain statements.

Complacency causes death. Looking into history. Leopard deaths in Skuks Staff village, on a bridge near Malelane,crocodile death at Skuks golf club, re-arranged nose(that was me) by Ellie. the list goes on and on.

This weekend I was in a camp, undisclosed, alone for 5 hours. Ellies, lions, leopard etc around. I was wide awake(nice term for looking over my shoulder every few seconds) O** It can happen any time.

Firstly Lion Parks: The guide of said woman should have turned the car around, told the guest the journey is ending because she did not listen. Simple. You cannot blame a dead person on your watch for not listening.

OSV's: There is a BIG statement on the safety of OSV's. Kruger lions are used to it, bla bla bla. One day, some lion, leopard is going to jump in, it will be easy for such a cat. And then the animal will go mad, killing, mauling, and also killing the industry. Yes, trackers are sitting on the open seat. But one day is one day.

Walks: We know the history of the hippo killing a guest, lions charging, ellies being shot etc. But one day it will be worse.

Every day I spend in Kruger, I see people, guides, guests, staff being complacent, cause nothing ever happens. But when it does happen. Do not blame a dead person for not listening. You are responsible for lives, every time you get behind a wheel, into a boat, into the bush. If it is driving a bus, doing courses, Wild Camping in Botswana, or just having a braai. There are some great guides driving OSV's in Kruger, diving with sharks, walking with guests but the industry does not need the current Monopoly run by a few and so-called tourism industries, it needs responsible, knowledgable people that can show the world our Africa. We do not need systems to improve employment by making a taxi driver a guide like in 2010 Fifa, we do not need to create jobs by having people that do not know, or do not care taking the lives of tourists in their hands.

The animals out there are wild beasts, strong, temperamental, and dont care for our rules. Always be aware, always be safe. Dont be a "Big Ranger". Care!

nothing changed, i have not grown up yet.
harrys

Re: The Harsh reality of our wild animals

Post by harrys »

Well said Scipio \O when in the wild, where ever, be awake and vigilant, animals are unpredictable \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
dup

Post by dup »

\O
i.r.o. the OSV'S you spot on and you know what Scipio, everybody knows ,one day...

Stop buying frackers products,now !!!
Biyamiti camp-Nov 2017- with family and friends
nan

Post by nan »

Scipio wrote: The animals out there are wild beasts, strong, temperamental, and dont care for our rules. Always be aware, always be safe. Dont be a "Big Ranger". Care!
so just ... and nothing, ever, will change anything... fortunately

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You are so right Scipio. \O Over the weekend I saw some photos that friends took in a private game reserve. They were watching a leopard in a tree and were literally (in the real sense) parked right underneath it. There was nothing to stop that leopard from hopping down into the vehicle, and nothing the guide could have done if it did...very irresponsible in my opinion! 0-

nan

Post by nan »

I was in one of this position... Leopard with a kill... maybe ready to just drop itself into the car, without anything to protege the driver and me O-/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

And so the wise words come to pass. A guide in an open vehicle was mauled by a leopard on Elofstreet. (Skuks to Lower Sabie road ) a short bit ago. 0*\

Scipio saw the future. =O: =O: =O:

nothing changed, i have not grown up yet.
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Scipio, I do fully agree with you statement. X#X
We must always be on our guard, inside the camp as well, there have been many sightings of leopard and hyena in camps, so don't feel safe if you think that there is a fence between you and the bush

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Return to “Your Holidays - Responsible Tourism”