Addo security upped

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Addo security upped

Post by RogerFraser »

Addo security upped after Austrian couple and staff member hijacked in two separate incidents
http://www.traveller24.com/News/addo-se ... s-20171219

2017-12-19 11:26 - Unathi Nkanjeni

Cape Town - The Addo Elephant National Park in the Eastern Cape has increased its security following two recent hijackings that took place at the park.

The incidents took place this month, in which a tourist couple and a staff member were targeted.

South African National Parks' (SANParks) Frontier Region Communications Manager, Fayroush Ludick told Traveller24 that the tourists would prefer not to disclose their identity.

"The tourists were unharmed in the incident park and the park has tightened its security".

Ludick says the staff member was approached by six men on Friday night while opening a gate in the park that is normally operated manually and the Austrian couple were visiting the park on Sunday when they were targeted under similar circumstances.

It is unclear whether or no there has been more than just these two incidents at the park, with police spokesperson Priscilla Naidu saying the provincial organised crime detective unit was investigating a similar case of hijacking and robbery following Friday’s incident.

According to Naidu, quoted in HeraldLive, an employee of the Addo Elephant Park and a visitor were on their way to town at about 18:45 when they noticed that the outer gate was partially closed. When the "visitor got out to open the gate, they were accosted [and] threatened with knives before being driven to Addo and forced to withdraw cash".

'New System to prevent more incidents of this nature'

Ludick says new systems have been put in place to prevent similar incidents of this nature.

“We would rather not divulge all our security measures but they have been increased and there are cameras at both gates.

"Our security company has been briefed and beefed up and regular patrols are taking place at the gates," says Ludick, adding that it is also no longer possible to open and close the gate in question manually.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Addo security upped

Post by Richprins »

@#$

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Did this happen INSIDE the park? :-?

What kind of security system can avoid something like this happening? ( I would know, but I am not going to say it loud O** )

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The world is rotten :evil:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Certainly South Africa is :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”