Addo Outings 2017

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Addo Outings 2017

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:Why would you move such an old lady as Aardlam to a new place 0*\
And jog my memory please: Matt and Kalahari? I can't remember where they were from and how old they are.
I know - moving Aardlam seems wrong given that she was one of the original introductions from KTP O/
Matt & Kalahari used to be in the main game area in Addo quite a few years ago before being moved up to the Kuzuko contractual area. Since the introduction of Sylvester & co they were moved back to an area called Kleinvlakte which borders the park - you see the fence when driving up the northern side of Gorah loop. My understanding is that they are now back across in the Darlington section which is next door to Kuzuko.

PJL

Post by PJL »

Another recent day trip turned into a decent day for the smaller creatures. Something about the weather brought out a number of giant african land snails O:V

On Vukani loop we came across a young yellow mongoose by its den O/\ O/\

We took a trip down to Arizona in the hope of finding cats, but they were hiding away again. On the hillside there was a large herd of eland

Arizona dam itself has benefitted from some recent rains so there's finally a little bit of water in it which had brought along a contingent of terrapins ^Q^

Also near Arizona there was an ostrich cruising through the long grass

As we travelled into the northern side of the park I had to slam on brakes to avoid this fantastic eastern cape dwarf chameleon who had decided to cross the road O\/ O\/

There were a number of tortoise sightings during the day including this one - an angulate tortoise

Heading to the main camp this kudu posed nicely X#X

We called in at the bird hide again at the main camp. There's loads of activity at the moment with red bishops and weavers busy building their nests ^Q^

There was also a surprise visitor - a bushbuck ram came strolling past O:V

Heading south on our way back we didn't see too much, but this kudu was looking very regal O/\

I think someone posted in the news section a while back about how the park was aiming to introduce 'elephant-proof' structures around some waterholes. The aim is two-fold.... firstly to stop elephants hogging all the water at some places, and secondly to mimic drought conditions which should result in a slower birth rate. The structure has been put up at Peasland waterhole - it's basically a high-level electric fence, with the poles also electrified to stop the ellies knocking them over. Time will tell if it works or not I suppose -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lovely shots, all of them, Peej! X#X

Is that farmland around Arizona there...a bit confusing? :-?

Interesting the elephant experiment there!! 0() 0() 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That elephant obstructing structure looks awful! Especially in a place like Peasland where you otherwise would get a fantastic scenic view 0*\

An a positive note though: Like seeing Arizona so green and I adore that mongoose and the chameleon 0/0

(It's not moulding and turning bad is it lol lol lol )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

PJL wrote:
Mel wrote:Why would you move such an old lady as Aardlam to a new place 0*\
And jog my memory please: Matt and Kalahari? I can't remember where they were from and how old they are.
I know - moving Aardlam seems wrong given that she was one of the original introductions from KTP O/
Matt & Kalahari used to be in the main game area in Addo quite a few years ago before being moved up to the Kuzuko contractual area. Since the introduction of Sylvester & co they were moved back to an area called Kleinvlakte which borders the park - you see the fence when driving up the northern side of Gorah loop. My understanding is that they are now back across in the Darlington section which is next door to Kuzuko.
Exactly to what you said about Aardlam and
..0.. I know remember the story about Matt and Kalahari again.

Thanks \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote:Is that farmland around Arizona there...a bit confusing? :-?
Yes it was farmland. As the park has expanded it bought a number of neighbouring farms, so the agricultural landscape is quite obvious in some places \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Awesome shots again, PJL,

the landscape ones are great and my favourites are the cute mongoose and the chameleon - What a successful drive \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
nan

Post by nan »

wow, nice to see a Chameleon O/\
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
PJL

Post by PJL »

Not a photo from this year but I’m still rather excited that it has been selected in the monthly pangolin photo competition... you’re welcome to vote for any of the selected photos here http://www.pangolinphoto.com/imagegallery
Attachments
E9A0B154-C497-41B9-9E8D-9378F31FC15F.jpeg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Well done ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

There are some great pics there.......apart from yours ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”