Cattle Welcome in Mapungubwe National Park

Information and Discussion on Management Issues in National Parks (except Kruger)
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Cattle Welcome in Mapungubwe National Park

Post by Lisbeth »

As far as I know, there is no colonialism anymore and I cannot see what grazing the cattle in a National Park has to do with it :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
somabhula

Post by somabhula »

This just relates to the general Lack of management at this particular SanPark. There were no cattle/goats when we stayed but people walking across a very low river, yes.

From my point of view there is nothing wrong with the park as a National Park, bit preachy regarding sone things but others may like that approach. Lots of game/birds and enough drives for a few days.

Very hot weather, not a shop, restaurant, kiosk open. Cooldrink fridge in reception completely empty. This was before the connection road re-opened
so a 100+km round trip to do both sides of park .We have a fridge in the car, but would have liked a break from a hot vehicle.

Rude Reception Staff, on mobile, personal (speak the language). Two small tour groups waiting. Other staff, good.

Serious monkey problem in the camp site. Only tore up a box of tissues of ours, but mealtimes were very unpleasant. Windows in both kitchen and ablution areas could not be opened because of said monkeys. Only kitchen that have had to close myself in.

It was a disappointment after Marakele, which is lovely, and this just highlighted the problems.
Also huge shoutout to the staff at Pafuri Gate \O

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I always wanted to go there, but now I have changed my mind. There have been too many complaints from different people :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “General Management Issues - Other National Parks”