Would you work for this pay

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
okie

Would you work for this pay

Post by okie »

We often read about poor service in our parks , visitors complaining about the state of the roads , the state of their accommodations , service staff , etc etc .
But when complaining , do we ever maybe consider what lies behind it all . Do we consider the staff , their lives , how they live , their families , their family circumstances , their pay remuneration , and above all , would we ourselves consider doing that job for that pay .

On another thread for instance , someone mentions that a ranger stayed overnight in a bungalow next to them , and asked the question " did he pay for it ? "

This caused me to look at Sanparks latest report , and this is the ranger pay for tear 2015/2016 .

Salaries and Conditions of Service Negotiations
The 2015/16 salaries and conditions of service negotiations between the HOSPERSA; NEHAWU, SACCAWU and SANParks were concluded after four sessions
held during June and July 2015.
The signed Joint Salaries and Conditions of Employment Collective entailed the following:
• 10% increase across the board for employees in the Bargaining Unit. However, all employees under the cost to company packages (Paterson C and
• Upper), salaries were adjusted by 6%. Housing Allowance of R1 340.00 per month for A Band employees and R2 076.00 per month for B Band employees
• who reside outside the Park.
• Danger Allowance of R349.92 per month for field rangers and R140.40 for employees who work at the Environmental Crime Division, Conservation
• Services, Technical Services and Tourism.
• Special Danger Allowance of R59.40 per night is payable to field rangers, lance corporals, corporals and security officers.
• Dog Handler Allowance of R216.00 per month is payable to qualifying employees.
• Sleep-out Allowance of R54.00 is payable to qualifying employees.
• Night shift Allowance of R59.40 is payable to qualifying employees.
• The 13th Cheque is payable to qualifying employees at the end of November each year.

Consider that 2014/2015 basic salaries were R5667 per month , it means that some now receive R6015.50 per month , and other ( those in the bargaining unit ) receives R6242 per month .
Adding housing allowance R1340 plus R349.92 danger allowance , give a ranger R7931.92 per month --- less PAYE tax .

Special danger allowance , probably when the are tracking poachers armed with AK47's - is R59.40 per night - and he may not even out live the night 0*\

Well , would YOU work for that -O-

And maybe even worse , since they only receive R54 sleep-out allowance , should they be expected to pay for accommodation whilst on sleep-out duty , at a rate of around R2000 for a night ?
Of course , it becomes quite cost effective if there are 6 people in the party at R350 each only 0*\

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Re: Would you work for this pay

Post by Flutterby »

Ja okie, makes you rethink things!! :no: The danger pay is laughable! 0-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Yeah, and we complain about inside jobs... no surprise that some of the people convert to the dark side O/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I think one must check on other benefits such as free housing, transport, rations, medical assistance and aid package, staff discounts etc too? Income tax should be very low to non-existent (one only pays IT beyond a R75 000 annual taxable income threshold) ? -O-

Years of service also increases Govt salaries quite significantly, regardless of rank, vs entry-level employees.

Of course it would be great to pay the rangers more. And teachers.

But it can never be an excuse or justification for poor performance or criminal activity! Especially in this country having a job is increasingly a privilege now, thanks to the moronic government.

Combating poaching is part of the job description of rangers on all levels when they apply. Although I doubt whether any of them envisaged this hell, I also doubt whether the vast majority worry about salaries in that regard. They are mostly still bound by a sense of duty and pride, and ethos, as mentioned elsewhere. But this may change, IMO.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”