Compliments to Sanparks

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Richprins
Committee Member

Compliments to Sanparks

Post by Richprins »

Mon Jan 09, 2012
Richprins wrote:I was in today, and compliments are certainly due!

The car was searched inward and outward.

ID documents were demanded upon entry from all passengers!

It was very quiet, obviously, but still, well done to the staff on the ground! \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Compliments to Sanparks

Post by Lisbeth »

iNdlovu wrote:Finally.... now that's great news. Well done SanParks
Wild Dreamer wrote:
threedogs wrote:\O
Hope you praised the staff Richprins. Speaking of which I reckon that praise where it is due to staff especially doing the hard graft in the park goes a long way to building better relationships between all, boosting the pride in their work and flowing on to better experiences and outcomes for the park. So if you see something worth praise or encouragement give it freely. There, that's my feel good message of the day. :D
I agree 100%!
Having been a worker myself all my life, I know what it feels like to receive praise and encouragement. When it comes, it pushes you on for quite a while. Long term compliments and praises, you can only go one way and that is to do the best in what you have to do.
Go, SANParks! Give us more of this and you'll get more from us!
\O
Fri Jan 13, 2012
Poplap wrote:We were there for five nights, returned this morn. No searches in, no searches out. (And we had the white elephant in tow).

Many speeding vehicles, and all from SANParks. Many road kill. From tortoises to dikkoppe. The road was full of dead dikkoppe yesterday. :( :evil: :evil: (They are nocturnal, i.e. must have been killed during the night.) Poachers breaching the speed limit? SANParks vehicles? Delivery trucks? Who knows? But during daytime, SANParks vehicles. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

No speed traps (entering on Sunday, exiting this morning) and lots of litter. And wait for the photos (which I shall post as soon as we have downloaded our 1 000 odd photos :roll: ) of the burning dump site on the Skukz-LS road. :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: O/ O/
Poplap wrote:I did notice, Sprocks... :oops: :oops: But our experience were a wee bit different than that of RP. I was also not bitten by a wasp or fly or horse. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Ok, compliments you say...

Our chalet was clean, the bedding was clean (thanks to the staff), there was a hole in the cupboard, the sieve door did not close properly, the fridge wasn't working, Theuns took an hour to defrost the ten year old ice, still no joy. We got a minute soapie for all three of us. But I don't complain about the soap. I understand they need to save with the subsidy cut etc.

Skukz was in immaculate condition, esp the Conference Building. The gardens, etc. (Never went for a stroll, it was just too warm). Paradise was splendid with all the fauna and flora. The same lopsided curtain at the Main Gate in the guard's quarters. (What a bad advertisement for the camp?? I wanted to take a photo, but Theuns never stopped). Sigh.

Any other compliments you wanna hear? :twisted:
lowveldboy wrote:I will hand compliments down -

Went in on Wednesday at Phallies and the bakkie got searched properly, especially the cooler (Sprocky you warned them about me didn't you :evil: ). Tsendze was as awesome as always, and even the staff at Mopani was so much friendlier than any of my previous dealings with them. Keep on improving guys!!!!!!! On exit at Phallies again a proper search - wish all gates would do that.

On a side note - the park was stunning, lush and green all the way up to Punda (never seen the Mahonie loop so beautifull). The whole of Thursday we saw 5 staff vehicles(no speeding) and 4 "tourist" cars. What a pleasure
Sprocky wrote:Good to hear this LVB, and welcome back! \O

One thing that puzzles me, why the hell did they search your cooler box as an overnight guest? :shock:
Flutterby wrote:Maybe it was a safety precaution....who knows where poachers hide things? :?
lowveldboy wrote::lol: I figured it had something to do with mentioning I knew Sprocky :roll: :wink:

Actually we handed in the bookin slip at my side (driver) and the coolerbox was checked at the other side. They did not communicate, but hey I'd rather they search it than not.

Sorry we couldnt meet up Sprocks, but there just wasnt enough beer :lol:

PS - I never left just busy, but it is great to be around you guys!!!!!
iNdlovu wrote:My congratulations to the men & women manning the Phala gate. When all the gates are as professional as this one, I'll congratulate SanParks.
It sounds like Phala gate are the only ones enforcing the overnight rule as well.
Sprocky wrote:I had a meal at Letaba yesterday and I am glad to report that the service was good, fast and friendly. It is the first time I have experienced this type of service at Letaba. The food was also good, so \O to them.

There was however something strange. The waiter gave me the menu, the new one. All the prices are up and the menu itself looks cheap. I wanted steak, egg and chips which I could not find on the menu. I asked the waiter if I can have steak, egg and chips, and was told that I can but it is not on the menu. I also asked if they still make pizza, yes we do, but it is also not on the menu. Two of their best meals and neither on the menu. :shock:
dup wrote:A Big compliment and thank's to the personnel of Malelane gate. Mother and daughter had some car problems this morning (Sunday), after a call to the gate Izack ( think I remember correct as crisis control room was via Nelspruit...sal hulle leer om sonder my knp toe te gaan) was immediately helpful and promised to send somebody to help.After a few minutes personnel of the camp arrived and just a few minutes later Thomas arrived from the gate to help.This speak of a spirit of service delivery and is definitively worth much more than just words.Thank you to the personnel of Malelane gate. \O \O \O

Sal hulle leer om sonder my knp toe te gaan.... wil teach them to go without me to the knp.
Richprins wrote:It may be prudent at this juncture to say that from the beginning (although I wasn't at the beginning), there has been no gripe with lower level staff of Sanparks from AWforum side, rather the management! \O
Richprins wrote:KNP help clean out environment

Hazyview Herald reports on KNP officials who helped with a cleaning campaign.

16 March 2012

To fight for a clean environment, the Kruger National Park (KNP)'s People and Conservation Department in collaboration with the Thulamahashe Hluvukani Acornhoek Taxi Association (Thata) recently organised a cleaning campaign at Hluvukani Taxi Rank.

Local schools Matikinya, Mugena, Maluli, Khahlela and Malwana and members of Bushbuckridge Municipality and youth group also took part in the campaign. The exercise began at 08:30 from the taxi rank, proceeding to the central business district and surrounding communities.

"Thank you for making time to be with us. I believe we can achieve our goal if we work as a team.

"We should realise that the little bit that one can do, does go a long way," said KNP's social ecologist, Mr Solly Mgiba, before the cleaning campaign started.

Team members were divided into four groups so they could pick up litter from all directions.

In unbearable heat, people picked up various items of litters.

"On a daily basis, taxis ferry people from one place to another, therefore it is important that taxi ranks are litter-free.

"As the KNP, we'll continue to maintain and strengthen our relationship with Thata, assisting and giving each other support where necessary.

"We both believe as institutions that both benefit immensely in projects such as this one.

"Our mandate is to conserve nature therefore, this is one way of reaching out and educating people, especially the young ones about the importance of the environment and keeping it clean," Mgiba concluded.
Richprins wrote:I've been forwarding dozens of complaints to Sanparks' lower level staff in restcamps for almost six months now (proudly under the baner of AWforums every time), and have not had one iota of negative feedback....rather the opposite!

That is not what I expected....and I'm not saying that all issues were addressed by any means...

But still! Well done Sanparks' daily people on the ground! \O
Lisbeth wrote:This is great to hear, but what about the control? Have they fixed the subjects/objects of the complaints?
Richprins wrote:Most say so...someone just needs to go and check! Go and read the rules under "Needs attention"... :evil: :lol:
iNdlovu wrote:All along we have said that there are many people in SanParks who genuinely care, and your feedback just confirms that RP. Well done to all those that this hat fits. Sadly Mabunda & his board is a different story all together.
Poplap wrote:
Richprins wrote:I've been forwarding dozens of complaints to Sanparks' lower level staff in restcamps for almost six months now (proudly under the baner of AWforums every time), and have not had one iota of negative feedback....rather the opposite!

That is not what I expected....and I'm not saying that all issues were addressed by any means...

But still! Well done Sanparks' daily people on the ground! \O

Good to hear, RP.

Just a pity about the rubbish dump between Skukz and LS. Positive feedback, however, no action three months down the line?? O** O**

(Of course there is appreciation for those who are still taking their jobs seriously!). \O
spaniel wrote:We spent the weekend of 17th March to 20th March in Kruger and would like to applause Pretoriuskop for the cleanliness of their bungalows. We always spend a night at Pretoriuskop and have not ever been disappointed by their standards O00 The next two nights we spent at Olifants and for the first time we were impressed with their level of service as well - have had a few hiccups in the past but this time it was back to a normal standard \O The last night we spent at Lower Sabie and it was the first time for me at this camp. We encountered a few hiccups which we reported to Richprince on Needs attention and it was sorted out immediately with Sanparks even providing photos as proof that it was attended to \O We could have said nothing and the next lot of guests would have experienced the same and left with moans and groans but if we take the time to point things out that need attention it assists Sanpark's reputation as well. We love Kruger and want the best experience for everyone 8-)
Lisbeth wrote:Great to hear that it is not only words and empty promises, but that sometimes something is done! Also thanks to RP W0
iNdlovu wrote:A hearty congratulations to Sanparks for their steps taken to make an example of the driver and company involved in the slaughter of Impala on May 2nd in Kruger. This move shows that they are getting serious about doing something about the lawlessness in our parks, irrespective of who the perpetrator is. Well done Sanparks ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Richprins wrote:In our local media the national Tourism Expo this week has been mentioned quite a bit, especially the Mpumalanga stall, which obvviously entails much Kruger Park-related info.

What one sometimes tends to forget, is that Kruger Park, not the other SanParks, but Kruger Park, is an international icon and absolute pathfinder regardig mass ecoturism.

There is no other Park that comes close to Kruger worldwide regardig visitor numbers and the ability to handle those, with a multi-use capacity as in day visitors, campers, chalet visitors, luxury accommodation/concession visitors, trails visitors etc.

Maybe Yellowstone in America can compare in numbers regarding day visitors, but that is about it?

We are talking about organising maybe 2 000 000 people per year, and SanParks deserve credit for that! \O

Quite unique!
Peter Betts wrote:
Richprins wrote:In our local media the national Tourism Expo this week has been mentioned quite a bit, especially the Mpumalanga stall, which obvviously entails much Kruger Park-related info.

What one sometimes tends to forget, is that Kruger Park, not the other SanParks, but Kruger Park, is an international icon and absolute pathfinder regardig mass ecoturism.

There is no other Park that comes close to Kruger worldwide regardig visitor numbers and the ability to handle those, with a multi-use capacity as in day visitors, campers, chalet visitors, luxury accommodation/concession visitors, trails visitors etc.

Maybe Yellowstone in America can compare in numbers regarding day visitors, but that is about it?

We are talking about organising maybe 2 000 000 people per year, and SanParks deserve credit for that! \O

Quite unique!
True RP but Kalagadi visitors are largely overseas now wheras 2 decades ago literally 100% S African..There are guided 4x4 trails on the conservative SA side...unguided on the Bots side. There are Supervised open bush camps on the SA side and non supervised camping spots on the Botswana side. They have restaurant , Swimming pools in main camps and KTC, Walks, Drives, self Drive, Shops at major camps, and are at the LIMIT of development and crowding but no that is not enough and like Kruger is about to be over developed as the idiots are now starting cricket tournaments at Twee Rivieren where Skukuza with its sports clubs etc was perfect..The rot has started in my favorite Park...there is no stopping ignorance with regards to the BENEFITS of Wilderness :evil: :evil: :evil:

BunnyHugger

Post by BunnyHugger »

Just got back from a four night five day stay in Kruger.

Compliments are due for the management of Crocodile Bridge. The camp is clean (Sparklingly so) and functional.

When we arrived there was someone raking all the leaves up in the camping area and the ablutions and kitchen are pristine. It's nice to see that they still take the trouble to clean the brass work around the place.

Take a bow Crocodile bridge and my vote for camp of the year.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Good to hear something positive!!! O\/
(And happy that you enjoyed your stay, BH!)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Great to hear BH O/\

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

A big \O and thanks to L/Sabie and Enos that quickly helped us with our car trouble (flat tyre 24 August '12)
Much appreciated O0

\O Skukuza - Safari tents tables next to beds looking much better and some units even new chairs as well as outside tables, bedding clean and neat

Tamboti - Overall experience O\/ O\/ O\/
I am aware that this camp has a big problem with baboons,vervets, hbadgers, leopards O** litter scattered, baboon proof dustbins??????? propably washed away I know but I think it's time to replace???

-O-

Somewhere in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, Twigga! Will update the maintenance thread too! \O 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Compliments to Samantha at Reservation House, Northcliff, who renewed my Wild Card over the phone in just minutes!! O0 O0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Compliments to Letaba reception!!!

I was trying to get hold of any camp for a tel. number at 13h00 yesterday, and they were the only ones that answered the phone! (Lunchtime)

After phoning 5 other camps! O/

\O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Compliments to SanParks and other agencies for handling the recent floods in Kruger and Mapungubwe with extreme foresight, courage and professionalism!

Well done indeed in saving many lives and keeping all informed! \O

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”