CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Peter Betts

Re: CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Post by Peter Betts »

Apparently he had a permit and purposely left it in his car to go cycling in the Park which is legal ..I mean do you carry your permit with you whereever you go /walk /ride a bike in Kruger or another Park while criminals are openly left on the Mountain in this particular Park ..Mine stays in the Cubihole of my car permanently and thats it ..The cyclist was stopped and was asked for his permit which was in his car 300 metres away and OFFERED to go fetch it which is more than what I would have done having my recreation disturbed like that by arrogant staff ..He got beaten up for being civil...The Minister was 100% correct ..hang them out to dry and go and catch thieves/rapists and murderers that openly live in the bush in the Park and prey on innocent tourists rather

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

If he was asked for the permit, he should have gone and fetched it. Can the rangers not call the head office and ask if he has one?

What does the police do if you are stopped and have forgotten your driver's license -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 am If he was asked for the permit, he should have gone and fetched it. Can the rangers not call the head office and ask if he has one?

What does the police do if you are stopped and have forgotten your driver's license -O-
Our Police fine you if you forgot your licence ..He did offer to go fetch the permit but was beaten up instead.. Far to much effort to call Head Office or the Gate so just break his arm instead

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0*\ Terrible that they are allowed to treat people like that...........whatever they have done :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

*Ref: 9/2/2–19–GKL
Date, Saturday, December 28, 2019

MEDIA RELEASE (CYCLISTUPDATE) 1 of 1

For Immediate Release

SANParks To Engage An Independent Investigator Following A Cyclist Incident at Table Mountain National Park (TMNP)

SANParks announced in a statement this morning that it is in the process of appointing an independent service provider to conduct a preliminary investigation following an unfortunate incident where a cyclist suffered a broken arm during an arrest by SANParks Rangers on 27 Dec 19.

According to Lize McCourt, Acting CEO of SANParks, management has this morning met with the five Rangers involved in the incident to place them on precautionary suspension pending the finalisation of the investigation.

McCourt expressed regret at the turn of events and assured the public that the organisation is taking the matter seriously… “and will afford Mr Dlamini and his family all the necessary support at this stage.”

The incident took place at the Silvermine Section of TMNP on Friday, 27 Dec 2019 & has since attracted a lot attention on social media platforms with the Minister of Environment, Forest & Fisheries, Barbara Creecy calling for SANParks to ensure that the matter is given priority.

McCourt said SANParks continues to request all eyewitnesses to be in contact with Mr Koketso Kotsoe on 072 333 1990 or email koketso.kotsoe@sanparks.org

Issued by: South African National Parks (SANParks)
Corporate Communications:Tel: 012 426 5170

Media Enquiries: Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli: SANParks Acting Head of Communications. Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999; Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Matt Raven
5 Std.
Since SANParks turned off commenting on my last post...

Below please see the official statement from Donovan le Cok, who witnessed the attack of Nicholas Dlamini by South African National Parks officials today – Friday 27 December 2019.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT
I got to the scene just at the point where the SANParks Official had knocked Nicholas off of his bike to check his permit. What they had done is, it’s a downhill to the exit, and they sort of jumped out and grabbed his handlebar to make him stop which made him fall obviously. Nick was quite upset, he was hurt and his bike was damaged, it is quite a shocking thing to encounter when someone tries to grab you off of your bike, something that a criminal does rather than a park ranger.
At that point there was a heated discussion with the head ranger, Nick wasn’t aggressive towards him, trying to get away or resisting being detained. The guy just laid into, turned him around, and twisted his arm high above his head. You can hear in the video his arm snap and crack, at which point Nick was just screaming saying my arm’s broken, my arms broken. They just proceeded to throw him into the back of a van, all the while he is still shouting my arm is broken.

I had then stopped filming as the rangers were becoming aggressive towards me, they were grabbing at my phone and my hand, so I thought rather than lose my phone and lose the footage, I would just stop recording and put my phone in my pocket. The rangers were all very aggressive to me afterwards as well, I just wanted to check that Nick was ok. I was able to shout to Nick through the van windows to try make sure he was alright and to let him know I would do what I could to help him. As I was up in the mountain with no signal, I cycled back down as was able get the footage out as soon as I had signal!

ENDS

Ryan Sandes Vanessa Cape Argus SABC News Western Cape eNCAnews
Newzroom Afrika CapeTalk

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

http://www.702.co.za/podcasts/196/the-b ... WWOrVNjpaA

Eye witness account in the Nick Dlamini attack by SANParks Rangers
27 December 2019 5:18 PM
Guest: Donovan, Fellow Cyclist

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

DA politicians also in on the act! lol

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde had also visited Dlamini in hospital. He said the circumstances surrounding the incident required an urgent full investigation and that there should be consequences for the "heavy-handedness" which the officials reacted in the situation.

"Their aggression was evident not only in their attitude toward Nic Dlamini, but also towards other cyclists on the scene who recorded incident.

"No matter what the circumstances, there is no excuse for this kind of reaction," Winde said.

The premier added that the incident had revealed the fractured relationship between the cycling community and SANParks and said his office would be establishing a round table discussion in a bid to repair the relationship.

"This incident undermines Brand South Africa, at a time where our economy can ill-afford further damage to our brand and our tourism economy."

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... m-20191227

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It seems some stuff happened before the video begins, where the cyclist is certainly not innocent. O**

SANParks' Ray Tlakudi said that they're trying to establish the facts.

"We heard that he entered gate 1 of the Silvermine section of Table Mountain National Park without paying the conservation fee. The rangers were then made aware of the situation and on approaching him, he became quite aggressive. They tried to arrest him and get him into the bakkie. But we only have the rangers' side of the story and we'll wait for him to recover to get his side of the story as well."

https://ewn.co.za/2019/12/27/nic-dlamin ... um=twitter

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

had revealed the fractured relationship between the cycling community and SANParks
-O-

There are always two sides to a story O**

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”