Reckless, hasty driver nearly hits elephant in Kruger

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Reckless, hasty driver nearly hits elephant in Kruger

Post by Lisbeth »

WATCH: Reckless, hasty driver nearly hits elephant in Kruger

17 minutes ago - Louzel Lombard

Footage showing a reckless driver in a Toyota Fortuner nearly hitting a young elephant that crossed the road in the Kruger National Park has been shared on social media, highlighting again the seriousness of recklessness in the Park.

The incident was filmed in the Kruger, close to Lower Sabie rest camp from the dash-cam of another vehicle. It was posted to the Kruger Park YouTube channel.

The hasty driver is seen racing past two other cars at a turn-off, right into a herd of elephants crossing the road.

The Fortuner slows down to allow a big elephant to cross the road, and then speeds on. But, as it speeds up, it seems as if the driver doesn't see another, younger elephant emerging from a bush to cross the road.

Sounds that are earlier the vehicle's ABS brakes, or the elephant's trumpeting, are audible on the footage.

Check it out here: Reckless driver nearly hits elephant in the Kruger

phpBB [video]

SANParks announced last month that they discourage the use of wildlife sighting apps in the park, as these contribute to speeding and reckless behaviour in the park.

Traveller24 sparked a heated debate on Twitter on Friday, 1 July, when we asked app users and SANParks lovers to come up with possible solutions to the ongoing wildlife app controversy, which has been attributed to increased speeding and road kills within the parks.

Although the core solutions discussed in Traveller24's #ShockWildlifeTruths discussion were positive, incidents like the one filmed above is a step backwards in terms of finding a solution to the Park's - and especially the animals' - overall well-being.

This especially after SANParks said they would rely on visitors' 'sensible consideration' to be responsible in the Kruger Park.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Re: Reckless, hasty driver nearly hits elephant in Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

I commented on this video on FB saying that this could happen to anyone, and that I didn't think the driver was being reckless. Of course I got shouted down! --00--

In my opinion the driver waits for the herd to cross and thinking that they have all crossed he accelerates to get past the herd. Just unlucky that another ellie comes out from the bushes. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

He is a bit slow in braking though O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Flutterby wrote:I commented on this video on FB saying that this could happen to anyone, and that I didn't think the driver was being reckless. Of course I got shouted down! --00--

In my opinion the driver waits for the herd to cross and thinking that they have all crossed he accelerates to get past the herd. Just unlucky that another ellie comes out from the bushes. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. -O-
Was my impression as well. \O Those peeps on facebook there are ready to string anyone up who doesn't see things their way. They are same peeps who blame the apps for all speeding and congestion. 0- 0-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ja Rob, I made the comment that it seems some people just can't wait to catch someone doing something wrong in Kruger! :O^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

They are all saints O** lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I wonder if it's this same dashcam omie that has been posting videos all the time...looks like he has been following that car tenaciously! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

We must ask that omie to visit us hear in Gauteng for a day to record all these people driving like mad people. I'm sure he will have hundreds of videos to submit lol lol

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O: =O:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Any place in SA will do :yes: lol

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”