Elephant attack on vehicle

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
pooky

Re: alleged elephant attack on vehicle

Post by pooky »

Too many anomalies here 0*\

Why was she so desperate for the video not to be published :-? :-?

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

She also claims the version out there is heavily edited, on that version I saw them with plenty of time to do a lot of things, reverse, go forward etc. If this is edited, it means time taken out, so means there was even more time for an action to be taken.

Why have they not released their recording? I would love to see it.

Sprocky

Victims accuse tourist behind elephant video of leaving them

Post by Sprocky »

2014-01-27 10:41

Sarah Brooks and Jans de Klerk have accused the group of South Africans who released a video of the controversial elephant attack in the Kruger National Park of leaving them for dead in a Daily Mail interview.

The two tourists caught in the car were charged by an elephant in musth in Kruger National Park on 30 December 2013. The elephant, assessed by rangers as overly aggressive has since been killed.

Watch the elephant attack video.

In the report Brooks, a 30-year-old science teacher from Lincolnshire in the United Kingdom, recounts how she was struggling with the gears of a car she was unfamiliar with during the self-drive safari, slipping it into 1st gear instead of reverse. Brooks states she attempted to do a 3-point turn but blames the errors she made on the gears being on the wrong side of what she was used to.

Her fiancé, 32-year-old De Klerk said he also couldn't believe what was happening at the time. Realising the elephant was bearing down on them, they became paralysed with fear and then decided to keep as still as possible. Brooks said she unwittingly decided to switch off the car which only made matters worse.

According to the report the couple are completely traumatised by the situation, with Brooks needing to remain on crutches for 12 weeks since the elephant's tusk gauged her right thigh. Her ability to conceive children naturally is also in question due to the pelvic injuries sustained in the attack.

Brooks also says in the report that she is still having nightmares about the situation. A situation Brooks and De Klerk feel could have been much worse, since they we stuck in a smashed-up car with a broken windscreen, believing the group of South African tourists who had filmed their attack had left them for dead.

But the claims headlined in the report as - 'Ghouls filmed as we were savaged by an elephant, then left us to die': Injured British teacher begged them to keep video private - but they sent it round the world' - have been denied as untruths by the News24 Travel reader who released the footage.

In a statement made to News24 Travel the reader who has asked to remain anonymous said, "The moment that I saw the elephant start to attack their car I knew that there was nothing that we could do to stop the attack, except to get help.

In the video they can been seen driving away immediately, with the occupants of the car visibly and audibly shaken-up.

"In my head, I wanted to warn the driver of the Polo to stop or even reverse but had no means of doing so, as I was afraid that hooting or shouting would have provoked the animal and agitated him even further.

The reader said they attempted to phone for help, but with minimal cellphone reception in the park they could not get through immediately.

"One of our passengers was able to get through to the Emergency call-desk, but lost reception during the call and our only other option was to rush to the nearest camp inside the Park to get help, all the while praying that the people in the car were okay."

Upon their arrival at the Skukuza Camp the group was informed that rangers had already been dispatched after the call they had made.

According to the reader, they had been in contact with Brooks and Van de Klerk after the incident and the couple had been made aware of what had happened and what they tried to do in order to get help to them.

In the Daily Mail report the couple said they had asked the group of South Africans not to release the footage.

"We are saddened by what they have now decided to tell the media. Our intention was for the video to be used to help educate people visiting local game parks."

SANParks acting Head of Communications Reynold Thakhuli said, "At this point the identity of the caller is immaterial, we responded to the emergency and airlifted the couple to hospital for the necessary treatment. Unfortunately the elephant is now dead.

"A witch hunt of this manner is unnecessary as both parties have walked away alive and they should just move on now."

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
okie

Post by okie »

Ah well , typical reaction from someone who did something so stupid . If the gears were not familiar , then she was not competent to drive the car , and should therefore not have been behind the steering wheel . Did she have a proper license , and indeed , was she then maybe not allowed to drive the car , and if she was not authorised to drive the car because of that , then the rental insurance will not be valid O** .

And , as for her comment about not being assisted . What did she expect them to do , play Tarzan around an enraged monster sized elephant :O^

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

SANParks acting Head of Communications Reynold Thakhuli said, Unfortunately the elephant is now dead.

"A witch hunt of this manner is unnecessary as both parties have walked away alive and they should just move on now."

Ai, Reynold!

0*\

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Re: Victims accuse tourist behind elephant video of leaving

Post by Dzombo »

Sprocky wrote:2014-01-27 10:41

Sarah Brooks and Jans de Klerk have accused the group of South Africans who released a video of the controversial elephant attack in the Kruger National Park of leaving them for dead in a Daily Mail interview.
Oh, ok, so I have my family in the car, I have just seen an Elephant attack a car, and then I am going to try and intervene.
Gimme a break!

They had 3 weeks to concoct this story.
How much were they finally paid to come up with this?

As has been said above, where is this mysterious video that the "victims" filmed?
That should surely shed the most accurate light on what actually happened.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote:SANParks acting Head of Communications Reynold Thakhuli said, Unfortunately the elephant is now dead.

Ai, Reynold!

0*\
I actually agree.

This sad incident has been analysed in and out.
I don't think anything positive will come from thrashing it out any further.

okie

Post by okie »

\O \O ... Let it come to rest :O^

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It could have come to rest, but the videographer in the car behind has now been slated... :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”