SANParks beefs up security at gates into KNP

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Peter Betts

Re: SANParks beefs up security at gates into KNP

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote:Glad you don't ask dishonest questions, Amoli! -O

Pafuri is not a hotspot regarding rhino poaching carcasses discovered at all!

But there have been exhaustive discussion on the unroadworthy vehicles entering from Moz there to do shopping in SA via Punda or Pafuri exit gates on the Western side.

All sorts of promises were made that they would have to overnight in a camp etc, as per Giryondo too.

Ain't happening!

This media release lends itself to rhino, but security issues are more than that.
The Pafuri gate is also a major conduit for the proceeds of crime up country...affirmative shopping

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

After being in the park for a short while today due to a flat camera battery, when I was leaving at the gate I told the guard that I might come back later. He took my entry document and wrote in it. When he gave it back to me the exit permit was still in it. This is what he had written...

Now my question, where is the control and there was NO beefed up security??? 0*\

How the hell does anybody there now know if I am still in the park on the roads or not??? :-?

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
General Gump

Post by General Gump »

SPROCKY ,if they do not know you by now :O^

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

General Gump wrote:SPROCKY ,if they do not know you by now :O^
General, these are the security guards, not KNP staff! They get rotated on a daily basis. And if they do know me, all the easier for me as a "poacher" to ply my trade. Rule number one of engagement,...know your enemy! ;-)

There was NO sign of "beefed up" security!! Was this just another smoke screen from SANParks to satisfy the belief of those distant folk who watch the news for their info on current affairs?? -O-

They (SANParks) said in their media statement, "with immediate effect"! What is immediate in their chronological terms? O**

I hear what you said before, about this was in the planning already, and training and blah, blah, but when a statement is made they should stick to it, if they ever can! :evil:

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Here's a brilliant video, partly revealing the feeble border post checks at Pafuri:

http://rhinokiller.co.za/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Ok so not to rant or reveal too many security flaws but on my recent trip to Kruger I found the gate security to be well ... non existent .I certainly can see why there is snares and poaching all over Kruger .We stayed at Malelane Camp and dealt with the gate for bookings and our Sunset drive.The evening we drove up to book our drive we were fairly late and found there were only two staff at the gate . While we did all the formalities we watched the other guard merrily wave out 15 cars with not a single search as it was late and he was ready to go home with his rugsack on his back by quater past already ... now one might think this was a once off but alas it is not . When we went on the sunset drive we were collected from the camp and driven to the Gate to fetch those going from outside . Again by 5 there was only two Guards and we witnessed many vehicles being waved through the most concerning was we saw three delivery trucks pull up hand over their documents and drive off .Sorry to say this is a huge concern for me personally .I would be happy personally to wait in a queue to be searched going out . I must admit as a day visitor at Croc Bride we did get searched once but its not a very thorough procedure . I thought by now they had dogs at all the gates etc . :shock: O-/ :shock:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Will it ever change? Will they ever learn to control not only the gates, but everything? It's like talking for deaf ears 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Yes, we all had high hopes, but it seems to just be a case of window dressing and selling the perception to the press that they are taking things seriously O/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Totally unacceptable state of affairs, methinks. 0=

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Try pitching up with a beer...then you have chaos! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”