Car Incident Kruger National Park Dzundwini Loop

Discussions on Vehicle Accidents in the Kruger National Park
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Car Incident Kruger National Park Dzundwini Loop

Post by Klipspringer »

South African National Parks
Administrator · 2 Std.
SANParks today confirmed the death of a male day visitor in a car accident in the Punda Maria Section of the Kruger National Park (KNP). The accident occurred on the Dzundwini gravel Road. Early indications are that the driver lost control and drove into a tree. Four other passengers sustained minor injuries and are being treated on the scene. Sanparks extends heartfelt condolences to all affected and wishes the injured a speedy recovery. The SAPS and Emergency medical services are attending to the scene. Further investigations into the cause of the accident will be conducted by the SAPS.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/kruger. ... 787481456/

Peter Betts

Re: Car Incident Kruger National Park Dzundwini Loop

Post by Peter Betts »

SANParks the cause of the accident is speeding...Leaving Shingwedzi camp as a day visitor at 17h00 hours and the Punda Maria exit gate shuts at 17h30..Next day there are dead hornbills , hares , Nightjars , Francolin, Monkeys early in the morning on the road .. ..I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner O/ O/ The Dzundwine Loop is a short cut on dirt and is used as a race track most week end evenings to race to the gate ..No Control

Alf

Post by Alf »

So sad that sanparks can't admit there's too much speeding going on inside the park

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Certainly he did not drive at 40 kmh 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Driver of fatal KNP accident tells what happened

26 mins ago

PUNDA MARIA – A 28-year-old man died after the Toyota Fortuner in which he was an occupant overturned on a gravel road in the Kruger National Park (KNP) on Saturday.

A case of culpable homicide is now being investigated against the vehicle driver, Aaron Vivane, who saw the victim as a brother.

The victim, Neo Sihlangu, a resident of Midrand and an employee at Ovations, was on his way back from his future father-in-law’s funeral near Phalaborwa. Vivane, his wife, Sihlangu and his fiancée decided to take a detour through the KNP.

The female passengers are sisters, and Sihlangu was to be wed soon. Vivane’s newborn boy was also in the car. Everyone except Sihlangu escaped unscathed.

Vivane recalled how an unknown animal suddenly appeared in front of him. “I tried to hit the brakes, but the next moment the vehicle was on its side and screams and cries for help filled the car,” he told Lowvelder.

I kicked out the front window and everybody could exit, except Sihlangu.” The impact had killed him. Vivane tried to phone the gate, but to no avail. Other park guests arrived at the scene and immediately went to look for help at the gate.

SANParks’ Isaac Phaahla said the SAPS and emergency services rushed to the scene, but Sihlangu had already succumbed to his injuries. The other four occupants were treated for minor injuries on the scene.

Phaahla confirmed that the incident took place at around 15:00, on the Dzundwini gravel road near Punda Maria. The exact cause of the accident is pending further investigations which will be conducted by the SAPS.

A case of culpable homicide is now being investigated against Vivane, Col Moatshe Ngoepe, SAPS spokesman in Limpopo, confirmed. Vivane is yet to appear in court.

I regret what happened,” he said. “I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to say. He was like a brother to me, we had so many plans for the future. It is certainly a big loss.”

SANParks extended heartfelt condolences to all affected and wishes the injured a speedy recovery, Phaahla said.

https://lowvelder.co.za/496213/driver-f ... Nc_D_KUAdM

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It would be interesting to know on which part of that loop the accident occurred. There is a very steep and tricky ascent to the top of the hill for an amazing view. Generally speeders would use the tar road, not the gravel one.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Speeding does not necessarily mean very fast driving. Speeding is "driving too fast for the circumstances".

Breaking hard, the car has probably slid on a downhill piece of the road and overturned -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 am It would be interesting to know on which part of that loop the accident occurred. There is a very steep and tricky ascent to the top of the hill for an amazing view. Generally speeders would use the tar road, not the gravel one.
Think you turn off for the hill with the view. This sand road cuts directly across forming a tri-angle I think. Think they also use it as sometimes the police have a roadblock shortly after the turn on tar road to Punda.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 am It would be interesting to know on which part of that loop the accident occurred. There is a very steep and tricky ascent to the top of the hill for an amazing view. Generally speeders would use the tar road, not the gravel one.
Short cut to the gate is along the dirt road ..Rushers to the gate will most certainly not take a left turn up to the viewsite 0/* 0/*..Just like the rushers coming in at Punda entrance gate en route to Pafuri Border gate into Moz gate after shopping at Thyondu and Louis Trichardt only use the shortest road which is the dust road via Klopperfontein S60 I think its called ..Thats why the rare and shy Racket Tailed Rollers are no longer seen on that stretch ..too much disturbance and dust clouds not to mention the dangerous driving and spoilt ambiance for genuine paid up visitors

Return to “Vehicle Accidents in Kruger”