To Intervene or Not

Post by Flutterby »

When is it ok to intervene in the course of nature? A moral dilemma:

http://sanwildsite.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... bligation/

What are your views?

Jillinflorida

Re: To Intervene or Not

Post by Jillinflorida »

I haven't looked at the link cause I know I'd be upset if I saw an animal hurt. My first instinct is to intervene BUT these are wild animals in a wild setting - so where do we draw the line? VERY hard decision - as once man gets involved we usually screw it up.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I find this a very difficult one to voice a clear opinion.

Methinks, that we humans are actually just visitors on our planet. Yet we get the best medical
treament feasible that makes us live longer and longer and thus exploit the earth more and more.
(Medical treatment is just one of many examples... We get the best treatment when it comes to
general developement anyway...)

Yes, there is an ethos out there not to interfere with nature.
But hey, we've interferred with it for years and years.
Why would a lion not be eligible to receive the same treatment as humans...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I think it's a bit overstated to draw some link between lions being fenced in by humans and that lion's condition?

Kruger rangers' rule of thumb has always been to shoot a mortally wounded animal for humane reasons, and only to take other measures should the species be endangered.

Lion are not an endangered species.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Not at the moment, but watch this space :evil:

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
nan

Post by nan »

I can't see the link too :o0ps: ... it is a terrible story ?
Why not help a bit animals... at least to avoid unnecessary suffering

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

If the warden in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve makes the decision to intervene then it will set a precedent for every sick and wounded lion in the GKNP. For example it is a known fact that males are struggling to hold on to their territory for the same length of time as they used to due to BTB. BTB was introduced by man and perhaps this would, if the facts were proven beyond doubt, be sufficient grounds for intervention. Unfortunately whether this lion is helped, fed, medicated his battle is far from over if he is to remain in the SS and who would want him to finish his life in a small fenced area because a decision was made to intervene. IMHO I would far rather see the plight of thousands of lions who are bred for the canned lion hunting industry brought to the fore and the whole thing stopped. It is going to open the doors down the line to possibly even a bigger can of worms than the rhino poaching has done. Lions in Africa are in serious jeopardy in years to come but with wealthy hunting outfits greasing palms of every provincial authority I do not see it coming to an end!!!

nan

Post by nan »

:-? in help... I think of euthanasy
not with tablets or what else...

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Update from the Sabi Sands Ceo Andrew Parker re the Styx lion: "Our conservation officer has been looking for the lion but has been unable to find him. We have also put out a request to all the lodges in the area to report any tracks and/or sightings but nothing has been forthcoming. In the event we are able to find him, we have received permission to intervene and depending on his condition will either get a vet out to assess him or euthanize him if his condition has deteriorated further".

ceruleanwildfire

Post by ceruleanwildfire »

Hmm... Sounds like it might already be too late. :-(

I've laways been one to say let nature take it's course, but that was always in response to an animal being killed by another and other such disturbing images/occurences. I believe that should an animal be suffering, whether the cause be natural or not, and there is absolutely no chance of recovery then man should definately intervene to end the suffering. If an animal is suffering, by un-natural (read human) causes, then we are obligated, in all cases, to assist to the best of our abilities. As for the rest, lion eating buck and other such events, those are the natural course of life occurences where we should not get involved.

You could argue that we apply bleeding heart principles of compassion to nature where nature does not even subscribe to those principles herself but ignoring that compassion in ourselves would also make us cold hearted and that could be even worse outcomes for all of us, nature and humanity alike.

"Courage, Honour, Integrity, Loyalty, Duty, Selfless Service and Respect. These are the values that define us." - E-Ring

Return to “Other Conservation Issues”