Additional Units at Kiliekrankie & Urikaruus

Information and Discussion on Development Plans for Kgalagadi
nan

Re: Additional Units at Kiliekrankie & Urikaruus

Post by nan »

Lisbeth wrote:
Mel wrote:They can only work between 9 and 12 each day when it's definite that nobody hangs around. 0'
It will take the same time that it took to finish the road from TR towards Nossob 0*\
TR toward Kij Kij ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The building of the additional unit each at Uri and KK has obviously started and according the SanParks' PR will affect visitors to those camps throughout 2015.
(YAY, got 5 nights at Uri for October! 0*\ ) They also claim that there has hardly been a complaint about the noise of the construction work going on... Well,
will report back after October 0' Also, Uri will be closed mid May to mid June 2016 for (much needed, I might add) renovation work.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

we have to take wax ear plug and leads to keep the animals at home 0'
@#$

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The Honeymoon Suite at Urikaruus is almost done. A few more window panes need to be added and the kitchen work top is not in yet.
But it's supposed to be happening this week. And if the noise we heard at Kieliekrankie when dropping something off there is anything
to go by, people staying at Urikaruus this week will not enjoy it. Especially the residents in unit number one as this is closest to the
building site. We were extremely lucky that everyone had gone of to work at Kielie last week and the only thing we notices was increased
traffic into Uri. But then again, as long as you get tourists who think they can use the camp as a picnic site whereas the proper one is
only 5 kays down the road, the additional cars don't really matter. :O^

The unit itself is hardly visible as it was - I hate to admit it... - cleverly built into the surrounding trees. All you can make out is a bit
of the roof and the fencing of the car port. Apparently, the new unit is insulated and sealed as in no holes to keep the bats out. (That
insulation thing will be part of the renovation thing for the other units, too.) From what I could see, the parking area will be huuuge
which makes sense when you know that the new unit only got one level, with bedroom not being separated from the kitchen. There is
still a view of the waterhole we were told although I found that hard to imagine, considering the angle the unit was built. But I don't
expect the Uri Boys to tell fibs, so waterhole view it is. lol

Even though Charlie Fax has moved out of the camp, she still lives in the dunes behind the attendant's unit and the road and the builders
had seen her every morning between 6.30 and 7.00 am. As soon as the builders were gone, she came down to the camp, showing off
her cute puppies.

Activity at the waterhole is still good too, but I noticed that the squirrels have moved off a bit further into the riverbed.
Bird life also still prolific. All in all, I'm still not enchanted by this building but it seems there was less impact that I had feared.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

At Kieliekrankie the new camp attendant's unit has also progressed quite a bit. The deck of the unit will face the access road and from what I was told that unit must be bigger than the old one. There will be extra storage rooms and the entrance area is made up in a way that you have a reception rather than standing right in the attendant's kitchen when you go to get your permit or something. The old attendant's cabin will get windows and mosquito covers (currently, there are still the old flaps) before it goes onto the market.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Kieliekrankie on the 28th October 2015

We were there at around 3 pm to drop something off for Jacques. All cars were in - as you might be able to figure out.
And they were cutting the marble for the kitchen counter tops at high screeching volume...

So glad, it wasn't us staying there. 0*\

Toko

Post by Toko »

The new unit is facing the other direction :shock: no waterhole view there 0-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

As mentioned further above the new unit is for the camp attendant O**

Toko

Post by Toko »

lol 0*\

nan

Post by nan »

poor Jacques... can't no more see if a Leopard is coming @#$
and for us too
I will have Jacques every night in my chalet lol