Post by Toko »

Permanent employment opportunities of are 5-7 :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Proposed Hydropower Station at Augrabies

Post by Richprins »

Don't roll your eyes at me, young lady! :shock:

Go and check their employment promises, temporary or not! ^0^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

For foreigners...it may seem as though the Orange River struggles through the desert, but the water actually laboriously and forcefully comes from the more Eastern parts of SA, and Lesotho...mostly the Vaal River. It is SA's biggest river catchment! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

I have checked, my dear, 5-7 permanent jobs :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote:
Go and check their employment promises, temporary or not! ^0^

Toko

Post by Toko »

Have checked everything :O^

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Toko,

Just to run a plant you need 6 guys operating from the control room (2 per shift). What about other aspects like security, maintenance, financial and management. Job responsibility might be spread across all sections along the river for higher level profile jobs, therefore per section low, but definitely not 7 only. I agree not a huge work force and most likely no locals.

I can still not figure out where the propose site will be. Riemvasmaak area is down stream from the falls and all land above the falls are privately owned farms.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Toko,

Just to run a plant you need 6 guys operating from the control room (2 per shift). What about other aspects like security, maintenance, financial and management. Job responsibility might be spread across all sections along the river for higher level profile jobs, therefore per section low, but definitely not 7 only. I agree not a huge work force and most likely no locals.
This question was answered during the public participation process and HydroSA noted:
Power stations would be operated remotely from Australia at first, but that monitoring would be transferred to South Africa overtime.
A South African contractor would be appointed for maintenance and added that there would be a local team in Kakamas that would be on the ground should there be problems.
150 – 200 construction jobs would be created and only 5 to 10 jobs once in operation.
However, the Draft Background Assessment Report, states 5-7 permanent jobs. In another presentation, 150 jobs during constraction are mentioned, but no detail on how many local jobs thereof.

The possible benefit for the community would be the income from from both rental and dividends. They would become shareholders and HydroSA is looking at giving the community 12 – 15% shareholding in the project. But of course, the money to buy the shares may be loaned by the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) and then the income from the project would pay the money back over 15 years.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushveld Jock wrote: I can still not figure out where the propose site will be. Riemvasmaak area is down stream from the falls and all land above the falls are privately owned farms.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I do not know the territory very well, but I cannot see anything terrible -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Proposed Developments, KTP”