Should AW Oppose the Skukuza Hotel in Kruger National Park?

Information and Discussion on the Proposed Hotel at Skukuza
Jillinflorida

Re: Should AW Oppose the Skukuza Hotel?

Post by Jillinflorida »

Doubt that anything will make a bit of difference if they choose to build this white elephant (pardon the pun). For what's it's worth I'm against the Skukuza hotel though.

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I would oppose building a hotel anywhere in Kruger where there is no throughfare road.
As it is the road from Kruger gate to Skukuza is carrying a load of fast traffic 0*\

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Apart from all the points raised by everyone else, how can SANParks even contemplate putting up a hotel when their current accommodation is in such a shocking state of disrepair?? O/ O/ They should be renovating the existing accommodation which they KNOW will be used instead of erecting another white elephant like the conference centre! :evil:

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

I can't in my right mind contemplate how the mayority of visitors to Kruger would be in favour for this "organised chaos" that they are planning!That one of the many reasons that sets Kruger apart from other famous reserves. Leave it as it is........

NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in Kruger
PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

Having seen the devestation of the cyclone from 2012 go unrepaired due to lack of funds and now the temporary repairs simply washed away in this years floods I am utterly gobsmacked that they would even contemplate this hotel. The accommodation in virtually every single camp is tired and is in desperate need of repairs and even rebuilding. Even soft refurbs are the order of the day. There are holes in the linen and none of the sheets actually fit the beds. The towels are puny and really tired and frankly when one considers what even a 4 to 5 day stay costs then there is no ways that we will even consider staying in Park accommodation again until it is repaired. Some of the accommodation is so rundown that it is almost unsightly and there appears to be no money in the budget for this. Rhino poaching is off the Richter scale despite having millions literally thrown at KNP and the concessions are running at less than 40% occupancy - it just does not make sense. The Skukuza hotel and all other hotel proposals should be opposed at all costs!

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Who funds this particular hotel? Sorry, that might sound a bit dof, but I get confused
with all the planned developments, sport events and what have you in the different parks under SP custody. O/

Reason why I'm asking is - if a contractor funds the hotel, SP would not have to raise any money to get their new state-of-the-art accomm.
Repairs and replacemens however, are SP responsibility. Easy enought to make choices for them...

However, that does not mean that I'm in favour of that development in any way. 0-
Quite the opposite. 0'

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

You can ask here, Mel! :-) : viewtopic.php?f=229&t=1919

Not sure!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
General Gump

Post by General Gump »

Yes . Rather build outside the park ! Do not need Skukuza to have more night time traffic.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Mel wrote:Who funds this particular hotel? Sorry, that might sound a bit dof
Not so dof at all my dear but rather more'so a intelligent question!!!,....
'there will a proposer, a developer and a practitioner!!

1 The practitioner can turn on a heel, calling it a bad endeavour turned sour because of us!!
2 The developer can turn on a heel, calling it a bad situation, fully paid!!,....
3 The proposer can call it bad luck, 'cause we were conned by stats"

Yet meanwhile huge amounts of money have been shifted to and fro'

The white elephant will become yours, since you are pet friendly!!

Heh,.. H.e
ceruleanwildfire

Post by ceruleanwildfire »

I don' think I need say where I stand on this subject. For crying out loud they can't manage what they already have effeciently what makes them think adding more is going to make any difference. Oh wait, that's right, it won't be SANParks responsibility because it is being managed by their partner, Raddison Blue.

Just out of interest sake. Looking at the proposed design cross section and the actual image of the conference facility, and assuming the conference facility is only a single story structure, this puppy is going to be huge. Maybe not ugly, but still huge.

"Courage, Honour, Integrity, Loyalty, Duty, Selfless Service and Respect. These are the values that define us." - E-Ring

Return to “Proposed Skukuza Hotel, KNP”