S36 from H7 to Muzandzene

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Peter Betts

S36 from H7 to Muzandzene

Post by Peter Betts »

Best road for Cheetah in the Park..The habitat is perfect nice open gently undulating Marula / Knobthorn Savannah with great visibility for these speeding cats ..Rockvale windmill half way down this section of S36 ..Needs a click
Rockvale Cheetah.jpg

Flutterby

Re: S36 from H7 to Muzandzene

Post by Flutterby »

Nice pic. \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I like nothing better than leave Maroela Camp at Gate opening 06h00 in August and go straight down the tar H7 and then swinging right onto the S36 dirt road as the day is lightening before sunrise ..lovely pink horizon to the east..Drive slowly looking for Cheetah ..Study anthills ..perfect lookout points for a cat that loves to hunt in the early part of the day ..Sometimes I dont go far and this day nothing turned up and I stopped at Rockvale at 45 degrees pointing towards the windmill and scanned ..I saw the log and continued scanning through the binos towards the trough to the right of the log of wood..A Distant herd of ellies trumpeted announcing to the world that their ETA would be in 5 mins ..It also caused a quick movement 20 metres past the log which I caught out of the corner of my Eye and swung the binos hard to the left and there was this unkown Male individual of a Cheetah that had raised its head at the sound of the ellies approach..How beautiful ..I had been there 5 mins and hadnt picked him up ..Then another male came and drank at the trough and they both left in a hurry right in front of me as the ellies were about to enter the Rockvale arena ..Give it a click as this pic was taken just as the sun was peeking over the horizon..lovely soft light at this time of day
Rockvale Windmill at Sunrise.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Just like the Tsendze Lion episodes ..the next day I left at Gate opening from Maroela and went straight to Rockvale ..Sadly no Cheetah beyond the log when I stopped at arrival at this iconic waterhole for me ..What did I expect ..Watched the Brown headed Parrots come screaming in ..and as the sun was about to rise and me about to start up and leave ..the herd of impala 200 metres into the bush all alarm Barked/snorted and stampeded in all directions ...Had to be a predator ..Cheetah or lion..Then 2 minutes later one of yesterday's 2 cheetah steps out in front of me and passes behind 'THE LOG" where his male coalition partner had been lying the day before at exactly the same time as the sun was about to peek over the horizon ..I love it when a plan comes together...I just wish I could have bottled that light from both mornings sightings and been able to release it at other sightings where the light would not be so Lekker
Rockvale Windmill at Sunrise 2.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A lucky log ;-) ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Got this boy at the junction of H7 and S39 and S 36 in thick mist
Lion in the Mist.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Great shot and he just had a haircut ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Nice colours all round! ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Very nice Pete. \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

After brunch at Muzandzene ..its back to the H7 via Rockvale ..Arrive masses of Vultures and after 5 mins they take off for no apparent reason ..There must be something coming??
Rockvale Action 1.jpg
Waited for 3 mins and he appeared around the bush ..not a sound for such a HUGE animal
Rockvale Action 2.jpg

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”