Flavour of the Month - Jan 2013: S25 Croc River Road

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - Jan 2013: S25 Croc River Road

Post by Richprins »

Also still males there:

Mbyamiti bridge doesn't look quite right.... O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Some stuff by Pumbaa:

https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=90

Pumbaa wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:37 pm Compared to last year we could not recognise the area again as this year the river was quite full and the grass high. It was simply amazing to see that thick and green vegetation all around again.

In the distance a waterbuck male was chasing one of his rivals away whilst the red-billed oxpeckers were starting to occupy the buffaloes.

“Me and my best mate!”

We spend quite a lot of time under the shady tree watching the buffaloes cooling down in the river and enjoying the slight breeze so we in fact had to drag ourselves away to carry on our drive. We came across a carmine bee eater,

and our very first lilac breasted roller during that trip.

We crossed the many causeways along that road which were overflowing by water this year but due to the extreme wetness not much came across birdwise. At least at one causeway a three banded plover was busy in running around

I got finally my daily giraffe fix

and we simply had to stop again for one of those more than colourful crickets

and those many beautiful flowers.

Same looked a bite like an alien

and also the butterflies could be found everywhere again – this time even with a bee.

to be continued....

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From aat, 2014:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5183&start=20

Like this vulture (Hooded Vulture). We found this one just along the road and I think I have never seen them so close to me.

-
-

It was along the S25 and why this vulture was here..?
A Lion kill

-
-

The owner of this kill

-
-

And this vulture was very interested in this part of the buffalo

-
-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Mbyamiti River crossing:

q.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a Katja report, 2012:

Katja wrote: Sun May 27, 2012 12:21 pm
For us the S25 was very productive that morning and I’m sure we will never forget it.
We heard a Fish Eagle’s call and scanned the area, finally finding the raptor overlooking its territory at dawn.

Further along some Guinea Fowls and a lone Kudu bull were having their breakfast. Many a bird made their appearance and these gorgeous impalas.

They are such beautiful antelopes, with wonderful eyelashes. We had many impala sightings and each time it was great to watch them.
Again a Commun Duiker allowed us to make a pic before it disappeared.

The bush was so full of life, we saw Giraffes and Ellies, but too far away. Then we found our first juvenile Bateleur of this trip. This is one of my favourite raptors. On our last trip we never saw adult Bateleurs and I wondered if this would continue?!

Big and small game, a Rhino had a groom at his backside and a Squirrel tried to warm up.

So many sightings, nearly every 5 minutes one of us spotted an animal or bird, we were flabbergasted! These three feathered ones came along our way. White-backed Vulture, a Korhaan and the colourful LBR.

Suddenly Matthias stopped the car, as he saw something black besides the road. I couldn’t believe my eyes what came out of the bush.

Two Honey Badgers scurried around and disappeared as fast as they appeared.

We still stood there and smiled all over the faces when the two rattels crossed the road a few metres in front us. Unfortunately I didn’t get both in a pic.

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... f=46&t=572

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Katja wrote: Sun May 27, 2012 12:22 pm The S25 had lots of raptors in store for us that day and I wished I had a bigger lens.
Especially the birds in flight were difficult to photograph, as they were not willing to circle close by.

Well, finally we found a Bateleur and even an adult. It was basking in the sun before taking off.

Our drive came to an abrupt halt. A huge herd of Buffalos crossed the road in front of us accompanied by Egrets. I think sometimes those birds are living in high danger, as they walked underneath those giants. There were lots of little ones and especially one of them was really cute. Always close to mummy, looking for protection.

We waited patiently till the last buffalos reached the other side of the road and while waiting we discovered a Green Wood-Hoopoe, who just caught its breakfast.

The last sighting on this road was again a raptor, the wingspan of the White-backed Vulture is incredible.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This is quite an unusual scene there this morning! :shock:

Tinged by Martinjrdelange, Latest Sightings:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:shock:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a 2013 Pumbaa report:

Pumbaa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:23 pm For our afternoon drive we once again chose the S25 as this is simply the best option from camp. It did not take long until you reach the causeway and here you can stay until you have to return or you may drive a bit further into the direction of Crocodile Bridge which we did after a short stop at the causeway where our pied kingfisher friend was still or once again in hunting mood.

But now we got a better view onto the hamerkops which were now to be seen walking around in the riverbed

and not far away from them we had the honour in spotting as well two wooly-necked storks

a specie we definitely did not see that often and so we were again delighted and only whilst turning our heads we could see a large ellie bull feeding in the riverbed.

Sometimes you really did not have to drive far – you simply had to be patient as the animals will for sure come to you. Nevertheless we were in the mood to drive a bit further and although the obligatory lions did not show up we had a great time and soon stopped for this couple of banded sandgrouse

only to be followed by some more mini-me’s

which were hiding behind each other whilst approaching them

but later on they more and more relaxed by our presence and started to feed again.

Although the sun still was shining but with the deeper going sun the light started to get dimmer in the dense vegetation in that area and from time to time only a couple of sunrays could made their way through the bushes and turned everything into a magical forest like in a fairytale – At least this is my imagination of a wood in a fairytale! And a fairytale without birds is unthinkable so on one of these overflows a hamerkop couple was busy in bulding a huge nest – disproportional large in comparison to the size of the hamerkop itself but in fairytales

nests could not be large enough and with the size of a candelabrum they hit the nail on the head.

One of them was busy in collecting nesting material and the other one was busy – which for sure must have been the female – in putting everything at the right place in order to turn it into a cosy home for the little ones.

Although we often do see these huge nests in the park we have neither at least up to now saw the hamerkops itself in the nest nor being still busy in building one and then even so close to the road.

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 1&start=30

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Pumbaa wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:21 am We stayed quite a while watching the hamerkops come and go with material so that we nearly forgot about the gate closing time and so we had no alternative then to turn around but did not get far as in one of the little ponds we found another green-backed heron standing motionless on a rock hypnotizing the fishes in the water at least it looked so.

The heron must have been in a comical mood as it made some funny poses and needless to say that Timon was in seventh heaven again by pressing the button nearly permanently.

The heron must have decided that the fishes in the water have all been caught meanwhile and flew only one rock further to try it’s luck there again.

Same must have had a flexible neck as it extended same so that the green backed heron looked a bit like a grey heron. We definitely had a great time with the birds on that road and were already looking very much forward what still might come across next during that holiday birdwise.

Back on the causeway the pied kingfishers were gone buy now the giant woke up and was busy in catching some dinner.

Between the causeway and the turnoff to the S139 we were caught in an ellie herd but the members were all so relaxed that we could stop for a couple of pictures

as moreover the light was so great and enwrapped everything in the magical golden light which is so great in the early mornings and late afternoons.

One of them even wore a green headdress!

Between them finally a little one appeared and same looked suspiciously like the naughty chap we met early in the morning!

With this picture I wanted to capture the magical atmosphere which was predominating on that road this lovely evening.

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”