Wild Card

General Information & Discussions on South African National Parks
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Wild Card

Post by Richprins »

Dzombo wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm RP is closer to Kruger than I am to the airport 0*\
RP pays in sweat for 6 months! ^0^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

If we Ausländers couldn't afford it, we wouldn't do it O**

Honestly, I've been jealous for a very long time at the thought of how quickly Saffies can get into a park (not even considering the expenses…).
By now I feel that if you don't live right next to the park, it takes you almost just as much time as it does take us - and all costs are almost the same, taking into the equation that we foreigners have excellent value for money at the moment and have had for quite some time now. :O^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
okie

Post by okie »

Exactly mel . Consider - Cape Town to Punda 2200 km .Two days travelling ( both ways ) and accommodation before reaching the park , plus fuel costs to get there ( around R7000 ) , plus wear and tear on your vehicle ..........Ten days in the park at R1000 per night , plus food and fuel for getting around .

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Just done a very rough calculation.

My September trip for 2 of us cost in the region of R65,000
That is for flights, car hire, fuel, accomodation , foreign conservation fee, food.
That was for 12 days in SA, 7 nights in Kruger

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

About twenty pounds! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmm.... comparing average income per country, takehome pay , after tax --- UK --------------- US$40169.
S. Africa---------US$16225.

Enough is enough
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:14 pm :shock: :shock: :shock:

About twenty pounds!
I wish :O^
okie wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 pm Hmmmm.... comparing average income per country, takehome pay , after tax --- UK --------------- US$40169.
S. Africa---------US$16225.
So taking these figures.......
My trip @ R65,000 (£3,600 approx.) is still a significant part of that income of £30,900
And that for 2 people only. If the 4 of us would have done the trip, it would have been double that.

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmmm..... and of course the REAL benefit for you would be that at least , for a couple weeks or so , you enjoy real sunshine =O:

Enough is enough
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Although you use comparable take home pay after tax, as South Africans we have costs that are normally covered by other governments but have become essential have to haves to survive in this country all eating into our moneys after tax. Namely private school fees as most gov schools are collapsing, private security as police force is useless (even police stations have private security to keep them safe), medical aid to get private health care as state hospitals are collapsing, higher insurances because of the crime. Higher fuel levies to keep the roads drivable which we pay every time we use our vehicles where a tourist only pays when they are here. So I think our disposable income to pay for the holidays would be less.

So after all these costs on top of taxes I can understand why there is substantial different charge.

okie

Post by okie »

Exactly Robert \O South Africa for South Africans is not a cheap country . :X:
Just consider , even today , if I buy peaches in the supermarket , then the price is about R40 per kilogram , even though it is now middle of the peach season 0*\ And grapes , at R45 per kilogram , here in grape country :O^

Then , if you wish to travel overseas , it easily costs R15000 to R20000 per return ticket to Europe . For what ?
A couple of weeks in London , and then to go and sit at a waterhole ( stand outside Buckingham palace ) , in the hope that one of the big 5 ( Royal family ) , comes down to drink ( inspect the guard ) , or even make a kill ( shake hands with the public ) lol

Hmmmm..... gee whizz ..0.. It could even turn out to be quite exciting =O:

Enough is enough

Return to “South African National Parks in General”