Advice / Opinions, please!

General Information & Discussions on South African National Parks
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Advice / Opinions, please!

Post by Mel »

Going in July can be interesting indeed! Just imagine finding those lions in the snow. ^Q^

Ja, we plan to do the cheetah tracking. Last time I had no idea it was on offer otherwise we would have done it back then already.
But we had a glimpse of a cheetah when we got up to Rooiplaat. I was so stunned that I never managed to get a photo. lol But
the scenery is stunning and although we had rain when we arrived, the light was stunning once the clouds opened up and allowed
a bit of sun to come through. Great scenery and I also prefer the mountain zebras to the others. I also hope I might see more of
an aardwolf than I did last time.

And, yes, it's the Doornhoek guesthouse. Looks lovely from the pictures I saw the booking website. \O

Addo has stolen my heart. I really like the park, mostly for its friendly elephants, I guess. And I have to return to find myself that
caracal and a blackie. PJL seems to see them all the time when he enters the park. Maybe, just maybe the cheetahs are also still
there by then (but I doubt it).

Your trip is much closer than mine! Have a fantastic one and I hope that it won't be too cold most of the days. However, snow would
make the trip extra special. Maybe only for a day or two. lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Alf

Post by Alf »

Mel we stopped over in December 2013 and they had huge rains on the day of arrival. The dam were overflowing and the road from the gate to camp were closed. They took people over with a tracktor.
Last edited by Alf on Sat May 09, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Stop scaring me, Alf! lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
arks

Post by arks »

Richprins wrote:Just saying....not cold in Kruger in March....cheetah there too... O**
Really RP, there are many other RSA parks that are well worth visiting -- at least IMNAAHO ^0^ Plenty of good sightings at MZNP and without the KNP traffic. I'm not knocking KNP, but there are other rewarding choices and IMO visits to these small gems should be encouraged. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ok! Just pulling Mello's legs! ^0^

What is a IMNAAHO ? :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
arks

Post by arks »

Mel wrote:Going in July can be interesting indeed! Just imagine finding those lions in the snow. ^Q^

Ja, we plan to do the cheetah tracking. Last time I had no idea it was on offer otherwise we would have done it back then already.
But we had a glimpse of a cheetah when we got up to Rooiplaat. I was so stunned that I never managed to get a photo. lol But
the scenery is stunning and although we had rain when we arrived, the light was stunning once the clouds opened up and allowed
a bit of sun to come through. Great scenery and I also prefer the mountain zebras to the others. I also hope I might see more of
an aardwolf than I did last time.

And, yes, it's the Doornhoek guesthouse. Looks lovely from the pictures I saw the booking website. \O

Addo has stolen my heart. I really like the park, mostly for its friendly elephants, I guess. And I have to return to find myself that
caracal and a blackie. PJL seems to see them all the time when he enters the park. Maybe, just maybe the cheetahs are also still
there by then (but I doubt it).

Your trip is much closer than mine! Have a fantastic one and I hope that it won't be too cold most of the days. However, snow would
make the trip extra special. Maybe only for a day or two. lol
I also have yet to find a caracal and am very :-0 :-0 every time I see PJL's pix, he is clearly a caracal magnet. Plus I have friends who visited Addo as day visitors for only one day and had a fabulous caracal sighting. But for me, nada -- in any park or anywhere else O/ And I had (far) better blackie sightings at MZNP than at Addo (very distant on a night drive only). I think that everyone but me loves Addo, but for me it's MZ that has stolen my heart. I am really looking forward to finally returning and as you say, lions in the snow could be very special indeed!

Just the setting for Doornhoek is so special, I think that to sit on that stoep with the view over the dam will be magic! And you will not be disappointed with the cheetah tracking, a very special experience.

nan

Post by nan »

yes... Cheetah tracking.... I will try to go there... O/\
is it far from Cape Town :-?

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Far from Cape Town? Hmz... Last time we had a stop over at Bontebok coming from Cape Town and one in the Karoo going back to Cape Town.
I think that would be your style of travelling too, nan. In one go it would be about 850 km from Cape Town to Cradock (and another 25 km to
the park from there).

nan

Post by nan »

thank you... will speak about... maybe ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

It's worth talking about it! ;-)

Return to “South African National Parks in General”