:shock: \O \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: African Rock Python

Post by Lisbeth »

Incredible what people are able to make up 0*\

phpBB [video]

Latest Sightings: Python stalks a bushbuck in Mapungubwe
Watch the nerve-wracking moment a python spots a bushbuck, that is feeding nearby, and how it starts to stalk it for a potential meal!

When 53-year-old Montisorri teacher and her family visited the Mapungubwe National Park, they never expected the surprises that nature had to offer. On the 10th of August, Katinka Steyn and her family went for an afternoon self-drive-safari and captured a very surprising sighting on video.

She shared the above video with LatestSightings.com and described the experience as both strange and interesting.

“We were driving on the Gallery Forest road in Mapungubwe National Park when we spotted a bushbuck grazing in the shade of a big tree.

"We stopped to take some photos as the buck was very close to the road. It wasn’t long after we stopped when my daughter, Marika Botha, noticed something in the tree above the bushbuck. My sister, Erica Brewis, had a camera with a zoom lens, so she zoomed in on the area my daughter pointed out in the tree and noticed the head of a snake!”

“We decided to stay a while to observe at our leisure what the snake was up to. At first, we only saw the head of the snake but when it started to emerge from the branch it was lying on, it became evident that this was a huge Python!”“We sat in anticipation for quite some time as the snake slowly made its way out of the tree and around the trunk in the direction of the grazing bushbuck.

"We moved our vehicle closer to the sighting spot in order to get a better view and as we got closer, the bushbuck continued grazing, without any sense of danger, apparently. All the while, the python continued to slither closer and closer to the bushbuck and at some point reached a distance of less than 1m away from the bushbuck!”

"The python lifted its head and we could literally see its tongue flickering in and out of its mouth - tasting the air. The bushbucks’ horns seemed to get slightly tangled on a little bush it was veering towards, and only then did it notice the snake. Interestingly, the bushbuck wasn’t startled at all, it simply backed away from the python and calmly strolled off into a different direction. When the bushbuck left the scene, the snake proceeded to turn around and head back up into the tree. This just showed it was after the buck.”

“While the snake returned to the tree, my daughter noticed another, much smaller snake in the same tree where the python emerged from. Unfortunately, we were unable to get a photo of the smaller snake as there we branched blocking our vision.”

“I was completely speechless, we grew up in in a house with nature lover parents, so we spent most of our childhood holidays camping in places like the Kruger, St Lucia, Mozambique and Zimbabwe. I was mesmerized. This was by far the most special sighting I’ve ever had – such a privilege! If you come across something like this, I hope it’s far from closing time at the gate! Just be in the moment, appreciate God’s most beautiful creatures in their natural surroundings”

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Remarkable! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
now11 seconds ago

9:30 am
1 African Rock Python stationary
'In a big tree on south eastern side of vurhami bridge'
H4-2, Vurhami bridge
Near Crocodile Bridge
4/5
Tinged by Alan
(Photo)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
Sep 27

12:09 pm
1 snake in a tree
'Looking for leopards, found snake instead! ID anyone?'
S58, 2km west of the H1-7
Near Punda maria
2/5
Tinged by CFMR
(Photo)

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The Tinger didnt know what snake it was =O: =O: =O: =O: But he can work a phone

Alf

Post by Alf »

Peter Betts wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:14 pm The Tinger didnt know what snake it was =O: =O: =O: =O: But he can work a phone
=O: =O:

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
23h23 hours ago

Update
Photo of the African rock python
H4-1, 6.9km E of S79 E entrance
Near Lower Sabie
Tinged by Kerry - Kruger Pride Safaris & Birdsong lodge
(Photo)

Alf

Post by Alf »

So lucky to see a massive snake like that ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
23h23 hours ago

12:00 pm
1 African Rock Python stationary
'Huge Python. Unbelievable sight!!'
500m W of LubyeLubye, H4-1
Near Lower Sabie
4/5
Tinged by Patel and essa's
(Photo)

This snake has been lying there for weeks now, so I contacted Kerry from Krugerpride to ask if she thinks it has Reptile Dysfunction or something?

She sent a lovely reply:

No I dont think its injured. They usually like to bask in the sun during the day. (Tends to come out in the warmer part of the day)
I think it may be a female by a nest site because the females do stay with the eggs during incubation and warm up during the day so they keep the eggs warm at night...
We had the same thing last year about 2 or 3 km north of where we are seeing this one.
Not sure if its the same one though.

But for me looks healthy doesnt look deformed in anyway from an injury and no visible marks or bleeding that I can see.

Obviously im not a snake expert so just my opinion :)

:ty: \O

Return to “Reptiles”