African Civet

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
ExFmem

African Civet

Post by ExFmem »

The African civet (Civettictis civetta) is the largest representative of the African Viverridae. It is the sole member of its genus. They are primarily nocturnal and spend the day sleeping in dense vegetation. During the night, when they are the most active, they can be found in a wide variety of habitat consisting of thick forest to open country.

They inhabit the savannahs and the forests of southern and central Africa. It is rarely found in arid regions, however, it can be found along river systems that project into the arid areas of Niger, Mali, and Chad.

Image(Kruger)

While females are sometimes credited as slightly larger, there are no great discernible differences in measurements between sexes.

The coat is unique to each individual, just like a human fingerprint.

Civets are omnivorous generalists, taking small vertebrates, invertebrates, eggs, carrion, and vegetable matter. It is capable of taking on poisonous invertebrates (such as the millipedes most other species avoid) and snakes. Prey is primarily detected by smell and sound rather than by sight.

Females create a nest which is normally in dense vegetation and commonly in a hole dug by another animal. Females are polyestrous and can have up to three litters per year. They normally give birth to one to four young. The young are born in advanced stages compared to most carnivores. They are covered in a dark, short fur and can crawl at birth. The young leave the nest after eighteen days but are still dependent on the mother for milk and protection for another two months. After about 42 days, their mother provides them with solid food. By the second month, they are catching food for themselves.

ExFmem

Re: Civet

Post by ExFmem »

Like all civets it has perineal glands that produce a fluid known as civetone, which it spreads on markers in its territory to claim its range. Used in the perfume industry, the perineal gland secretion has been the basic ingredient for many perfumes for hundreds of years and is still being used today although on the decline since the creation of synthetic musk.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

One of The Most Expensive Coffees in the World Comes From Civet Poo

The biggest trend in luxury coffee currently is called civet coffee, and it is made from coffee beans found in animal feces. The coffee gets it's name from the Asian palm civet, a mammal native to Southeast Asia that resembles a long-nosed cat.

The so-called "cat poop coffee," or "kopi luwak" in Indonesian, can cost up to $60 for 4 ounces of beans or $10 a cup according to NPR. The coffee beans are gathered from the civets' feces after the animals have eaten the coffee plant fruits.

Ordinary coffee beans come from the seed of a coffee plant fruit, which is about the size of a cherry. The seed or "bean" of the coffee plant is separated from the fruit's flesh, fermented, and roasted. Civet coffee undergoes a similar process, except it's all done in an animal's digestive tract.

The concept of coffee from animal feces is nothing new. The Huffington Post reported on the expensive Black Ivory Coffee served at The Anantara Hotels, Resorts and Spa. The coffee costs $1,100 per kilogram, or $50 a cup, and comes from elephant dung. There's even bird poop coffee, or seeds found in the feces of the South African Jacu Bird.

Crappuccino anyone? (Just having some Friday fun -O ^0^ )

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You are a fountain of knowledge ExFmem!! \O \O

A civet seen on a night drive from Skukuza in October 2012.

sborkey

sex of african civet

Post by sborkey »

HELLO everyone,

my name is Solomon and a farmer. i have two African civet on my farm and i wish to be sure they are breeding pairs. this is a male and a female. i have been reading around but not getting
any information to clearly help identify the male and female. they are not so calm so i cant physically examine them. can anyone please assist me with distinct difference (especially in terms of behavior) between male and female African civet? thanks :-)

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: sex of african civet

Post by Richprins »

Welcome, sborkey! maybe if you can get a picture? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
okie

Post by okie »

sborkey wrote:HELLO everyone,

my name is Solomon and a farmer. i have two African civet on my farm and i wish to be sure they are breeding pairs. this is a male and a female. i have been reading around but not getting
any information to clearly help identify the male and female. they are not so calm so i cant physically examine them. can anyone please assist me with distinct difference (especially in terms of behavior) between male and female African civet? thanks :-)

Welcome to the wild forum sborkey where you can ask any question , and of course receive any answer ;-)

Just watch those civets closely ( do not handle them , they may not like it :X: ) , and remember , especially at mating time , the one on top is definitely the male \O

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Testicles? =O:

okie

Post by okie »

The question was about behaviour , RP , not about nobbly bits sticking out O/

Enough is enough

Return to “Mammals”