Leopard

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Leopard

Post by Lisbeth »

^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Interaction between a young leopard and a porcupine

Post by RogerFraser »

FB Post:Africa Geographic

This amazing interaction between a young leopard and a porcupine was captured on an evening game drive in the Kruger National Park.
🎥 Seolo Africa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Interaction between a young leopard and a porcupine

Post by Lisbeth »

New toy, but wrong end lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The leopard looked a bit irritated at the spotlight at times O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Neither look particularly serious about the meeting! lol

But he eventually got a spike in the mouth at the end there? :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

PHOTOS: Erythristic leopard makes international waves
Find out how rare these leopards really are.
23 hours ago
Arisa Janse van Rensburg

Photos of the leopard that were taken in 2015. All photos: Black Leopard Mountain Lodge.

LYDENBURG – Photos of an erythristic leopard that was recently spotted at Black Leopard Mountain Lodge took both local and international media by storm.

With her striking features and reddish-golden hue, the leopard has been featured on networks and newspapers across the world as its appearance is extremely rare. These include the BBC, New York Post and Fox.

“National Geographic is also coming to do a documentary on these leopards,”

Alan Watson, owner of the lodge and its coexisting wilderness conservation reserve, Thaba Tholo, said.

Photos of the leopard that were taken in 2015.

This week Watson also released photos of the leopard that were taken since 2015. He is also planning to release photos of her with her cub this Sunday.

The greater Lydenburg area is considered a hot spot for erythristic leopards. According to the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency’s carnivore scientist, Gerrie Camacho, about 14 erythristic leopards have been spotted since 2000 in the area. Only recently a few have been spotted in North West too.

How rare are these leopards really?

The first leopard was spotted in 2000. It was killed on a road near Ohrigstad, Camacho explained.

In 2004 someone claimed to have seen what they called an orange leopard, and in 2013 another one of these felines were killed on the road. “This one had no brown or yellow pigmentation and was basically white with red spots.”

Two erythristic leopards have also been spotted walking together on Long Tom Pass, but unfortunately one was killed by oncoming traffic. In 2016 a female was spotted with three cubs, two of which were also erythristic. “Unfortunately, these two cubs did not survive.”

ALSO READ: Leopard scores a kill on Skukuza Cricket Club field

Camacho himself also put a collar on a young male in 2015, “but he disappeared, collar and all”.

Two have also been spotted at the pass at Koffiehoogte, while another two were also spotted near Ohrigstad.

“The gross of sightings have been in the greater Lydenburg area, but the chances of you seeing one are slim. They also hide away, just like a normal leopard and are more rare.”

https://lowvelder.co.za/501195/photos-e ... nal-waves/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Erythrism or erythrochroism refers to an unusual reddish pigmentation of an animal's hair, skin, feathers, or eggshells. Causes of erythrism include. genetic mutations which cause an absence of a normal pigment and/or excessive production of others.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thank you for providing that definition, Lis. I would have had to look it up \O

The first and the last photo seem to have been taken on the same day...
and is that a cub trailing?

Although, I have to admit, I don't really recognize the difference to the average coloured leopard :o0ps:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Mel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 pm The leopard looked a bit irritated at the spotlight at times O**
Exactly ..Spotlights damage the retinas of carnivores and other Nocturnal Birds and animals

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It is very fancy in the right light! O:V

https://lowvelder.co.za/498349/photos-r ... ht-camera/

Return to “Mammals”