Dangerous Animal Incidents

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Elephant damages car in Kruger

Post by Richprins »

It is still very unusual, though! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

They do charge you ever so often, but most likely stop before reaching the car if it is not defending a calf or a male in musth -O- It happened to me at least three times on my last trip, but I always had space in front or behind me.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

That’s why i would never tow a trailer in Kruger

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

I just can’t recall any incidents when a vehicle towing a trailer or caravan have been damaged? :-? :-? Always seem to be single vehicles or OSV?

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Alf wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 pm That’s why i would never tow a trailer in Kruger
..Best is to switch off at any Ellie Sighting at arrival at a sighting if you are on your own ..If you are not on your own move right on as panicked motorists who mostly DONT switch off at sightings especially elephant sightings annoy the ellies Intensely and when the fun starts as a RESULT of this annoyance you are left with broken tail lights and your number plates and chrome bits lying in the road ..Humans in other cars are far more dangerous than any ellie handled with a switched off car

Alf its quite safe to Tow a trailer ..Lots of campers like myself in the Park and they tow Trailers , Campers and caravans without incident ..just be on your own and switch off .. Correct RobertT ..its safe to tow

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

RobertT wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:21 am I just can’t recall any incidents when a vehicle towing a trailer or caravan have been damaged? :-? :-? Always seem to be single vehicles or OSV?
Maybe because they look much bigger -O- Being unable to reverse must be quite a handicap though :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:29 am
RobertT wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:21 am I just can’t recall any incidents when a vehicle towing a trailer or caravan have been damaged? :-? :-? Always seem to be single vehicles or OSV?
Maybe because they look much bigger -O- Being unable to reverse must be quite a handicap though :-?
Not sure a vehicle with a trailer behind will look bigger than OSV or a normal vehicle from front. Caravan maybe :-? Maybe people towing are just more aware so stop even further. I cant recall ever having to reverse with my trailer for an ellie, I have reversed for a sighting but never a forced reverse.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

As you say, cars with a trailer most likely drive more carefully, knowing that it is not a good idea to brake violently or having to avoid an animal :yes:

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

:yes: We have always been more careful when towing the Van or trailer and stop well back and to the side of road so its easier to switch off or turn around but never had a major issue around any Ellies -touch wood :twisted: .

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

That car was a Nissan and now looks like a mazda cx3 O** O**

Return to “Mammals”