Cheetah

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Cheetah

Post by Mel »

Love your comments! =O: =O: =O:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

800 metres south of H7 on S36 ..Cheetah Country
Cheetah Hunting.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
3h3 hours ago

06:45
Male cheetah marking territory
H9 & S96 intersection +- 18km W of Letaba
Tinged by Alberto - Matimba bush lodge

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

One of these days I'll find a cheetah sitting on a rock sign post :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Me too! O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I have only seen what it sometimes leave up there lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Very appropriate lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Cheering for the cheetahs

Posted on 26 April, 2019 by Rhino River Lodge in Animal Encounters, Conservation, Wildlife

© Claire Birtwhistle

With only around 7,000 cheetahs left in the wild, these elegant and striking cats are currently listed at ‘Vulnerable’ on the IUCN Red List, with many conservationists calling for their status to be changed to ‘Endangered’ due to their rapidly decreasing population. This decrease in cheetah numbers is due to numerous factors, including their vulnerability to larger predators, lack of prey to feed on, and habitat loss, but the main the reason behind the population decline is, not surprisingly, humans.

However, there is still hope for cheetahs. Conservation work is being done to ensure the long-term viability of cheetahs in small fenced reserves, as well as promoting the long-term genetic and demographic integrity of the metapopulation.

This is why it was so exciting when it was discovered that a new cheetah female, that was introduced to the Manyoni Private Game Reserve last year, successfully gave birth to a litter of four cubs!

Cheetah with four cubs
© Isabella Furst, Wildlife ACT volunteer

The cheetah cubs were first spotted by the Wildlife ACT team, who have been monitoring the female cheetah closely. At just six weeks old, they were still sporting their adorable ‘honey badger’ outfits, which is thought to help deter predators as honey badgers are notoriously aggressive animals that most animals give a wide berth.

This female is only the second female cheetah introduction ever performed at Manyoni Private Game Reserve. It was done because the founding females in the reserve are ageing and will soon not be able to reproduce anymore, and the existing population within the reserve is saturated with their genes.

Genetic variety is vital to the long-term viability of cheetahs so we are extremely happy that she managed to produce cubs after being in the reserve for less than a year. Raising four cubs is certainly going to be a challenge for a first-time mother, but we’re rooting for her and hoping she goes on to produce many more generations of cheetahs!

Two cheetah cubs
© Wildlife ACT

About Rhino River Lodge
Rhino River Lodge is a Big 5 safari lodge in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. It is situated along the shore of the Msunduze River in the southern section of the Manyoni Private Game Reserve. This 23,000 hectare private game reserve is located in the very heart of Zululand – just 30kms north of Hluhluwe Game Reserve. It’s in an area renowned for its African wildlife and rich cultural heritage. The private game lodge offers you an intimate and comfortable safari experience, with excellent game viewing and luxury accommodation.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

What a family pic! [O]

Return to “Mammals”