Airport Security Tips

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Richprins
Committee Member

Airport Security Tips

Post by Richprins »

In Transit: Staying safe in and around the airport
2017-09-29 08:30 - Selene Brophy

Cape Town - Follow home crimes have been a major concern lately in and around South Africa's busiest airport, OR Tambo International in Johannesburg, Gauteng.

And as the Minister of Police vows to ensure the individuals pretending to police, who robbed a group of Dutch tourists, just after leaving the airport are brought to book - the old saying, "you can never be too careful" rings true - See News24’s coverage of the incident which took place as the group was on their way to the hotel between Johannesburg and Pretoria on Sunday night.

Let's face it - going to the airport, whether it is to pick up someone you love, drop someone off or to travel to a new destination, it is meant to be and often is an exciting experience.

However, over the past few months, airport safety has become a concern. Numerous airport related crimes, including follow home robberies and fatal shootings, are occurring regularly, targeting unsuspecting airport travellers.

“Most people that fly in to an airport are usually tired and eager to get home. However, it’s important for travellers to exercise caution at this time. People need to stay alert of their surroundings and be aware of suspicious behaviour.

"For example, if you think you are being followed from the airport contact your security company or drive to a police station,” says Ron Knott-Craig, director of operations at Tracker South Africa.

Yes, holidays or travelling to new places tends to have us losing some of our inhibitions by letting our guard down. Just remember to always remain alert and to rather err on the side of caution.
Consider these safety precautions when visiting the airport.
At the airport:

Make sure your bags and luggage have locks and name tags.
Never leave your bags unattended.
Do not allow strangers to interfere with your bags.
When seeking directions, proceed to marked information counters only.
Do not tell strangers where you stay or will be staying.
Avoid displaying valuable items such as jewellery, cash and devices by locking them into your baggage.
Limit the amount of cash you carry.
Do not talk about the valuables you are carrying during telephone conversations where people can overhear you.
Be especially vigilant when arriving on an evening flight – criminals are known to hang out at the airport and follow these travellers home.

Travelling to and from the airport

Check your location – Know where you’re going. Make sure you have the directions ready before embarking on your journey
Vehicle check – Ensure that the vehicle you will be travelling in is road worthy and has sufficient fuel. You would not want your vehicle to get stuck in a deserted area.
Be aware – While driving, be vigilant about where you are and your surroundings. Even looking alert may be enough to dissuade potential criminals.
Scout around – Have your car keys ready when approaching the vehicle and check the back seat before getting into your car.
Watch your tail – If you think you’re being followed by another vehicle glance over your shoulder or adjust your rear-view mirror towards them. This alone is often enough to persuade your would-be attackers to leave you alone. If not, either head for a police station or drive to a busy area.
No stopping – Be wary of stopping on the side of the road, particularly if you are alone, in a quiet area or at night. Drive to a place of safety if possible. Also, when approaching a red traffic light, especially at night or dark areas, slow down so that you only reach the traffic light when it turns green.
Lock it up – Always keep your vehicle doors locked and windows closed. Valuables are better kept in the boot or under the seats.
Helping hand – Find out if your security company has a follow me home service and use it if you feel uncomfortable.
The home stretch – We tend to let our guard down as we get closer to home. Make sure you turn your radio off and minimise all distractions so that you are alert and aware of your surroundings.
Testing – Regularly test your tracking device to make sure it’s working, including the “assist button” if your device has one. Your insurance company can refute a claim if the device is not working properly.
Transport service – Make sure that the taxi (meter taxi, Uber, private) you are taking is the correct one. Check the registration of the car and the identification of the driver. Most importantly, always do a quick check of the whole car before getting in.
Communicating with strangers – Do not offer lifts to strangers at the airport even if they say they are going in the same direction as you. In addition, avoid accepting lifts from strangers. Do not stop to interact with strangers in the parking lot especially if there is no security in sight.
Remember to be cautious at all times when travelling to and from the airport and most importantly at the airport itself.

http://www.traveller24.com/News/Alerts/ ... t-20170928

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
All-Nature

Re: Airport Security Tips

Post by All-Nature »

Such a :-( state of affairs! O-/ O/
One needs to have eyes like a chameleon, when venturing outside these days! =O:

“Adopt the pace of Nature Her secret is patience”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It does not seem that they are doing something serious about ensuring security for people in the country; YOU are the one who has to be careful O/ The police need a serious wake up call together with a corruption check :evil: There is a new "game" going on. Someone from the police give your mobile no. to the criminals or are criminals themselves and call you and say that they are the police and you can get all your belongings back if you pay a tot. If you meet up with the money they point a weapon at you, take the money and disappear. Luckily I smelled a rat and called a security officer that I knew. He gave me a lesson on all the tricks that they use and mostly there is one or more police officers involved 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

normely nothing can happen Inside the airport :-?
will need somebody to go to the domestic airport... to help me carry luggage and find the check in, because not a lot of time 0*\

and then in Upington, not a lot of people ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
arks

Post by arks »

nan wrote:normely nothing can happen Inside the airport :-?
will need somebody to go to the domestic airport... to help me carry luggage and find the check in, because not a lot of time 0*\

Have you looked into requesting airport assistance thru your airline(s)? This is usually what they call requesting a wheelchair, but it does also speed you thru immigration and security and can be a big help for older travellers. I first used the service when travelling to London last May as I was recovering from surgery at the time and getting from the gate to the terminal -- especially at LHR -- can be quite a lengthy trek. I was very impressed with the service and plan to continue to use it as anything that makes my long trek to/from South Africa less arduous is a huge plus. \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I have been using the wheelchair service for years, because I cannot walk the long distances nor stand for long in a queue. You get through the security check in no time and they help you picking up the luggage.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
nan

Post by nan »

arks wrote:

Have you looked into requesting airport assistance thru your airline(s)? This is usually what they call requesting a wheelchair, but it does also speed you thru immigration and security and can be a big help for older travellers. I first used the service when travelling to London last May as I was recovering from surgery at the time and getting from the gate to the terminal -- especially at LHR -- can be quite a lengthy trek. I was very impressed with the service and plan to continue to use it as anything that makes my long trek to/from South Africa less arduous is a huge plus. \O
thank you arks 0/0 will try to find something like that... must I have to ask before I start my travel :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Yes! You must look at their website for "Passenger support" or something like that and they will ask for the number of your booking or ticket number and then ask you a few things about going up the steps, do you have your own wheelchair etc. If you have bought your ticket through an agency, they can do it for you.

nan

Post by nan »

Lisbeth wrote:Yes! You must look at their website for "Passenger support" or something like that and they will ask for the number of your booking or ticket number and then ask you a few things about going up the steps, do you have your own wheelchair etc. If you have bought your ticket through an agency, they can do it for you.
\O thank you will ask 0/0

arks

Post by arks »

nan wrote:
arks wrote:
thank you arks 0/0 will try to find something like that... must I have to ask before I start my travel :-?
Lisbeth has given you the details O0 and I think that most/all airlines offer this service. It's very easy to organise and I found that it makes a HUGE difference, so to quote a friend of a friend, I shall continue "to use those wheelchairs shamelessly"! I'm sure that you'll also find it a great help in making the long journey just that bit easier \O

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”