Advise on serengeti/masai mara trip

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
stefan9

Advise on serengeti/masai mara trip

Post by stefan9 »

Need some advice. We are planning an East Africa safari for 2019. But totally lost where to start.
From what we have been able to gather the northern circuit especially serengeti and ngorongo crater are must sees.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Advise on serengeti/masai mara trip

Post by Richprins »

Get lots of money ready! lol
Hello Stefan! 0/*

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

I was at both of them... separate trip
Massai Mara is much smaller than Serengeti

I have loved to be at Ngorongoro and in the vaste plaines of Serengeti
beware Ngorongoro is very high (2300 m)... and it's not rare to have a good headache 0*\
but better to stay/sleep at least two nights, to be into the crater a full day

on the way to Serengeti (from Arusha), there is Tarangire N. Park and Lac Manyara, Lac Natron (maybe a little bit to far away)

it was long time ago... and stay some super souvenirs O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Thanx Nan.

Yes I heard some recommending including those 2 parks in the trip. But will depend on how long we can stay.

We are still in planning stage atm.

stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

We managed to book our trip. Will be doing manyara,serengeti & ngorongoro crater in May.
Made our booking through exploreplus, https://www.exploreplustravel.com/

Alf

Post by Alf »

stefan9 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:16 pm We managed to book our trip. Will be doing manyara,serengeti & ngorongoro crater in May.
Made our booking through exploreplus, https://www.exploreplustravel.com/
Wow that's one awesome trip ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

O/\ O/\

Well done, Stefan!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe it will not be too crowded with the pandemia still going strong \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:23 pm Maybe it will not be too crowded with the pandemia still going strong \O
Apparently they have a covid testing location setup in the middle of the serengeti so tourists don't have to leave for the local clinic to get tested before the home flights.
Will see about the crowds, have survived leopard lockdowns at lower sabie so I am sure I can manage :-0

stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Will a thread about the trip next week when I have more time but what an experience.
Was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.
3 -5 lion sightings every day in the serengeti and crater. 1 leopard sighting, 1 cheetah, 3 hyena sightings(including one dead one, guides reckoned it was a snake bite).
Lots of plains game, loads of new bird species as well. The flamingo's and crowned crane's in the crater were great.

Manyara was a nice taster before we moved onto the fantastic serengeti and ngorongoro crater.

No wild dogs. The head guide told us they have moved outside of the serengeti and crate and are more located inside the ngorongoro conservation area where they target masai cattle.

Very few crowds. One thing very noticeable was how clean the parks were compared to kruger, hardly noticed any litter. Whether that was because of lack of tourists I am unsure.

Roads are quite tough as it was at the end of the rainy season, we had the odd shower. So happy that we had guides doing the drives.

The lodges we stayed at were the serena group mostly with one night in the neptune ngorongoro. All top class.

Explore plus and predators club went out of their way to make our stay special. Special cake for mother's day for the mon's. a Special cake for one of our group who turned 60,ect. Highly recommend them.

Didn't really enjoy the masai village trip. They seem more interested in selling us extra items after we had already paid $20 each for the village trip.

Flights are currently very complicated. Pre-covid kenya airways did direct flights from JHB to Arusha, now we had to go with ethihopian airways to addis adaba and then to arusha(on the way there also had to have a stop at zanzibar). So very complicated currently. The airports were the only mayor downside to the trip.

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”