Forums vs Social Media..which is Better?

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Richprins
Committee Member

Forums vs Social Media..which is Better?

Post by Richprins »

Not sure where to post this, but an interesting debate?

After the recent spate of discussions over apps and social media alerts etc., one wonders as to the merits of a forum vs Facelessbook, Twutter etc?

I don't do the latter, and think forums are a better means of relaying, and especially storing and accessing info? -O- -O- -O-

Gump and I chatted about it yesterday, and he admitted to being so lazy he can scarcely bother to open a forum these days! lol lol lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Forums vs Social Media..which is Better?

Post by Lisbeth »

I don't like social medias and am convinced that they are dangerous as too many people are too easy to convince of anything and they are in line with the general change in human behaviour: Egocentrism, superficiality and lack of respect for others. I must admit though that I am not a follower.

On the forum you create a sense of belonging and a more personal interaction with other members. I do not think that this happens on the social media -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Unfortunately social media is taking over the world! All the youngsters are constantly glued to their phones updating statuses, posting selfies etc! Drives me mad!! :evil:

The problem is that FB, Instagram, Twitter etc are all so easy to use and feedback is instant. Everyone wants instant gratification nowadays! :O^

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Unfortunately social media is taking over the world! All the youngsters are constantly glued to their phones updating statuses, posting selfies etc! Drives me mad!! :evil:

The problem is that FB, Instagram, Twitter etc are all so easy to use and feedback is instant. Everyone wants instant gratification nowadays! :O^
Agreed \O I think it's easier to discuss things and find things on a forum though :-? Maybe I'm just an old fart who was born in the wrong century and hates being in contact with so many people all the time. =O:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe this question should be posed on a less partial platform O** lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
okie

Post by okie »

Social media is causing people to become less sociable :X: People sit in restaurants tapping away in FB and Twitter etc , instead of talking to each other 0*\

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Bushcraft wrote:Agreed \O I think it's easier to discuss things and find things on a forum though :-? Maybe I'm just an old fart who was born in the wrong century and hates being in contact with so many people all the time. =O:
You're not the only one...my SO detests all social media and refuses to be involved in any of it. I do FB and keep in contact with lots of family and old friends but I'm certainly not glued to my phone 24/7. I have actually threatened to make our house a cell phone-free zone when we have people with kids or the Brat's friends over, and quite often turn off the wi-fi so that they are forced to engage with us/each other face to face! :twisted:

nan

Post by nan »

for me too, forum is more like family... "Face de bouc" (in french for me) is to keep bond with people without forum and can be "dangerous" beware what we post 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ok, thanks! :ty:

Was also sort of thinking which is better along conservation fan lines... :-?

Forums seem to be slowing down all over the place? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Depends what you are trying to do. I use both.

Social media is better for short debates.
Forums are better for intellectual debates, lengthy posts,ect.

I like both.

I manage to upset people about apps whether it be on forums or social media thought. :-0

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”