First Trip (possibly) to KTP

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
steamtrainfan

OUR FIRST VISIT TO KTP.

Post by steamtrainfan »

We are planning to visit KTP in early August 2016 - not 2015. I like to prepare things well in advance.

Advice needed:

From Pretoria where is a good halfway stop? I was thinking of somewhere near Olifantshoek which is about 670 kms from Pretoria.

Our next stop I want somewhere close to the gate or should I go into KTP?

In a sedan car what camps would you suggest?

What roads would you suggest?

Just for Joan and I, any suggestions on what type of unit to book?

I believe it can get very cold there during August. What are the max and min temperatures?

Any other advice for a first time visitor?

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: OUR FIRST VISIT TO KTP.

Post by Mel »

Oh, goodie! You're going to my favourite park O/\

I cannot recommend anything particular for accommodation halfway between Pretoria and the Park, but I know that people stopped over in Mokala for two nights which must be a wonderful park too. It is a bit of a detour though, being close to Kimberly.

If you don't want to go into the Kalagadi straight away but would like to stay close to the gate, I suggest this one: http://www.kgalagadi-lodge.co.za/ I haven't stayed there myself because we prefer to enter the park immediately once we get there and rather stay at Twee Rivieren than outside, but everyone who overnighted in that lodge was quite happy with it. It's only 5 km away from the KTP.

We find Twee Rivieren rather busy and therefore don't like to stay there really but compared to what you know from Kruger it's still a small camp. Staying there has the advantage that you can make use of their restaurant if you're too lazy to do something yourselves. The food is nothing special but it's okay.

Since you're going in August, you can basically choose to go to any camp you like apart from Gharagab and Bitterpan which are only accessible with a 4x4. Where you stay and for how long depends on how much you want to move around. We find staying in one area for at least 3 nights is good. It really gives you time to unwind and enjoy the chosen camp because you don't need to do the packing all the time. And that can be a lot because it's advisable that you bring your own food that'll last for the duration of your trip. The shops in the Kalahari are bit of a hit and miss. If and when they had a delivery, they'll firstly close the shop (at Twee Rivieren, Mata Mata and Nossob) for one day due to stock taking ( 0*\ ). Once open again, you'll be able to get fresh stuff like tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, onions and potatoes. You can also buy some cheese, eggs, bread, yoghurt but the choice is limited. Cold drinks are usually aplenty. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic. You can even get decent wine from the Orange River. There's also water and firewood on sale, but with any park, it's cheaper to bring it with you (and the firewood we buy at pick'n'pay in Upington is also better burning). The water on the Nossob side tends to taste a bit salty and even brackish and I know people use bottled water to make coffee or tea. We used to do that as well but by now got used to the taste and it's clean, so not a threat to your health. I'd never drink it straight from the tap though. O**

My preferred choices of camps would be:

Urikaruus for the game activity and the fact that you get two directions for game drives. This area is usually good for leopards.

Kieliekrankie for the wonderful scenery. We haven't been particularly lucky with game at the waterhole there, but they do show for others. lol
Also, Kieliekrankie gives you the opportunity to explore the southern part of the KTP and you can even go to the Nossob side from there, e.g. doing a round trip down to Twee Rivieren, up the Nossob riverbed until you get to a waterhole called Kij Kij (good for lions) and back to Kieliek via the lower dune road (or the other way around).

Grootkolk for the solitude. You can expect to be by yourself from about 3 pm onwards because people staying at Nossob need about 2.5 hours to get from Nossob to Grootkolk. The campers from Polentswa might still be around but usually they are gone one to two hours before gate closing time too.

You'll find some detailed descriptions and photos from the camps here: viewforum.php?f=223

As for the itinerary I'd start off at Uri, going to Grootkolk and finish at Kielie. But the ride from Uri to Grootkolk is a long one so some people stop over at Nossob for a night or two. If you don't mind being in the car for about 6 to 7 hours, I'd go straight through, especially since the building at Nossob might still be going in August 2016. Although there is a hide and a waterhole that is usually quite productive at Nossob, I expect it to get quiet once the building start as they are about to build chalets on either side of the hide and I can imagine that the critters will be disturbed by that.

Still, to be fair on Nossob: the area north and south of it can be really productive with all sorts of animals, but especially lions. (Marie se Draai / Gat in the south - lions or Cubitjie Quap - raptors - are the closest waterholes to the camp). If you decide to got to Nossob, book a CH 2 and ask for units 9a / 9c or 10c and avoid units with b's because they don't have bedroom windows.

There is no choice of different accommodation at Uri, Grootkolk or Kielie. But in Uri I'd ask for Units 1 or 2 (best views on the waterhole) or even 4 (might be the fox den right next to your unit, but you don't have much shade on the balcony in the afternoon there). In Grootkolk any unit is good by now since they moved the waterhole closer to the camp. In Kielie I'd ask for number 1 (closest to the waterhole and next to the camp attendant's unit) or number 4 (for the sunset and the fact that you only got one neighbour).

You can't book the unit numbers but you can request them, say, like 4 weeks before you are headed into the park.

When staying in Twee Rivieren, I'd choose an FA2/4 bungalow and request and low number chalet. Number 15 is right above the petrol station and next to the camp road, so rather busy during the day.

As for Mata Mata: We only stay there if we can't get anything else. The camp itself and its waterhole are usually not very productive and the hide is non-functional at the moment. But if you want to stay there because you would like to see every camp, I'd go for the RF2 units. They face the northern end of the park towards Namibia. They are quite nice and well equipped but like I said, don't expect much animal activity on your door step.

Kalahari Tented Camp is just 4 km south of Mata and I'd rather stay there. Even though it's the largest of the wilderness camps (15 units, I think) and the waterhole is far off compared to Uri, Grootkolk and even Kielie, it's still nice. (It has a pool like Mata, Twee and Nossob, but I don't think that's of much use when going in August). And you can even book game drive that start from Mata, if you're keen. Although I'm not sure if they'll run at all because they seemed to be on and off over the last couple of years. Apparently they have trouble finding a new game ranger after the last one left some time ago. :O^

Each and every accommodation I mentioned here comes with a private braai, kitchen (with utensils), bathroom. \O Nossob even does microwaves and an electrical water kettle.

As for the weather: You can expect any kind of temperature... It's supposed to be rather cold during the night (just above zero and it is possible to have temperatures below zero, too) and usually warms up to mid twenty degrees by midday, but if you consider your climate and weather you get the idea that it's just not really predictable... All camps provide blankets for the colder season, but I'd definitely pack some warm clothes including a beanie that can be worn during the night, early morning and once the sun sets, and maybe even a sleeping bag if space in your car allows for it. Generally the weather can change quickly in the KTP from warm days to cool and windy the next. The only thing that really doesn't happen often is rain. lol Virtually not at all.

Be prepared to find a very sparse vegetation, especially when being used to Kruger. Whereas I like the empty semi arid surrounding I've heard from people that this is the downside of the park which makes them not come back for a second visit. But I don't think there is a grey shading with the KTP - you either love it or you don't.

When you're out and about there is a choice of picnic sites where you'll find ablutions, picnic tables and even braais. But on the Nossob side you'll have to time your fluid intake because those picnic sites are quite a bit apart from each other and 50 km in the KTP can be a long ride, especially when you find something interesting on the way. North of Nossob it's even worse because between there and Grootkolk you only get Lijersdraai which is about 70 km from Nossob. Of course there are public toilets in each main camp (Mata, Twee, Nossob).

Phew, that was quite a lot and I'm sure I still forgot to tell you things, but just ask if there's more that you want to know. X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Whoooweee Mel.

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Our plan is to spend four nights in the park so Twee Rivieren might be the place to stay.

You have given us so much food for thought.

Thank you once again.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You must try a Wilderness camp, it is the best of KTP. Urikaruus is very nice and not as far away as Grootkolk.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Toko

Post by Toko »

Only four nights, but still ... don't stay at Twee Rivieren, better 2 nights Uri and 2 nights Grootkolk.

Can be freezing in August, but when not camping no problem and it's almost hot for lunch then lol

Half way from Gauteng via the gravel route would be this cosy hotel
http://www.vanzylsrushotel.com/index.php?p=18

On the highway route I don't know -O-

nan

Post by nan »

try... :-? no, go to the wilderness camps and if you can try to stay more than 4 days
like already said : Urikaruus, Grootkolk and Kiliekrankie
and to start or finish Twee Rivieren

O/\ O/\ O/\ what a chance \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
arks

Post by arks »

I disagree a good deal with much of the advice given so far. First of all, for a first-time visitor and with only 4 nights, Grootkolk is IMO simply too far to drive. Better to stay no farther north than Nossob and take the time to drive slowly and enjoy the park rather than a 6-7 hours drive (at least, and that's without sightings!) to get to Grootkoolk -- which I love, but I always stop at Nossob both going and coming, otherwise IMO it's just far too far to drive in one day. So save Grootkolk for your next trip, because there will be a next trip!

I always think that TR is amazingly quiet for such a large camp and good sightings can be had, with a choice of either Auob of Nossob roads or a circular route using the lower dune road. For a first timer, I'd start there and then try for a couple of nights at either Urikaruus, KTC or Kieliekrankie on the Auob side and then a couple of nights at Nossob, ending with a final night at TR. Yes, I know, that's 6 nights, but really 4 nights isn't enough to even give you a proper "taste" of what KTP has to offer.

And whatever you ultimately decide, have a great trip!

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

steamtrainfan wrote:Whoooweee Mel.

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Our plan is to spend four nights in the park so Twee Rivieren might be the place to stay.

You have given us so much food for thought.

Thank you once again.
Okay, for four nights I'd choose the first night at Kielie to start with because in contrast to Twee you only have 3 other cars in the early mornings and in the roughly hour before gate closing time in the late afternoon and if you're lucky and find something interesting you'll definitely get some quality time with that animal. Leopards at Auchterlonie for example are do happen O** and Auchter is about 8 km out of the camp. \O

The second and the third I'd go to Uri - if you manage to book it and the last night in Kielie again.

I wouldn't go to the Nossob side at all with so few days. I think, you and Mrs. Steamtrainfan really should consider adding a couple of nights, or even better, make it a whole week.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Wow guys. Thanks so much for all this information.

We can only stay four days in KTP as we are doing a round trip to Augrabies, Namaqualand Flowers - Kamieskroon and Van Rhynsdorp, Lamberts Bay, Prince Alfred Hamlet, Barrydale, Karoo National Park (2 nights), Bloemfontein and home. Total of 3 weeks.

Had a look at Urakarus - a bit out of our budget.

Mel, I know you say do not stay at T.R. but it seems for four days that is our only choice as it has a couple of drives to choose from.

Decisions Decisions -O- -O- -O- :-? :-? :-?

Any other advice on where we are planning to going will be appreciated.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Fair enough on the budget for Uri - it is indeed a bit steep. :O^ And the prices are very similar in all wilderness camps, so you'll probably consider staying in the main camps anyways. If you can squeeze out one more night, I'd consider going to Nossob for two nights (in contrast to me not liking that place much, but that's a very personal opinion and I know quite a few people who think totally differently O** ) With that you would get to see more of the KTP and still have some time to explore both areas a bit more. The distance between Twee and Nossob is roughly 170 km with picnic stops where you can get out of your car (unless there are some dubious cats around lol ) after 50 km and then after another 70 km.

Cannot comment on the rest of your itinerary really. Sorry. 0:

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”