Where to stay on the way to KTP?

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
BluTuna

Where to stay on the way to KTP?

Post by BluTuna »

Hi all,

I've just booked a trip to the KTP in June but as it's over 1,100kms from home I want to split the journey and stop in Upington (or nearby) overnight.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced B&B or hotel in the Upington area?

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Toko

Re: Where to stay on the way?

Post by Toko »

0/* Good question, BluTuna

Everything is expensive there, if you don't need a river view or a midtown one you could try the Habitat Guest Village (close to the Mediclinic). Nice rooms, save parking, but the breakfast is only a small continental one from the bar fridge in the room, no real garden.

I try to find a better one myself every time, but O/

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Hi BT - My suggestion is to ask Lion Queen who stays in Upington. She is very active on the Yellow side. \O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Amoli wrote:Hi BT - My suggestion is to ask Lion Queen who stays in Upington. She is very active on the Yellow side. \O
Thanks Amoli, I'll send her a PM \O

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Toko wrote: 0/* Good question, BluTuna

Everything is expensive there, if you don't need a river view or a midtown one you could try the Habitat Guest Village (close to the Mediclinic). Nice rooms, save parking, but the breakfast is only a small continental one from the bar fridge in the room, no real garden.

I try to find a better one myself every time, but O/
Thanks Toko, I'll look them up.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Blue Tuna,

The Molopo hotel is another possibility and very close to the park, although nearly 1100 km distance from Jo'burg, but do-able in one day as you can arrive late. If you do decide on Molopo try to book the chalets and not rondavels. The chalets are more private and away from the lounge and pub area. This spot can also be very cold in winter and for the comfort I will avoid camping and rather stay in a chalet. The next day the trip will not be to far to KTP and you can arrive early in the morning after a nice breakfast at the lodge.

June is hunting season, which means you will find it more difficult to get farm accommodation available. Another spot I have stayed at is the Kalahari Guest house about 50 km north of Upington. They have a lovely camp site, but at that time of the year it can be extremely cold.

You can search for more stays in Upington on the Safarinow website. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of experience of staying over in Upington and can not advise you much except for the above stays.

http://www.safarinow.com/go/kalahariguesthouse/

http://www.molopo.co.za/

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
norms

Post by norms »

Hi BT

Have a look here http://www.upington.com/Guest%20Houses/ ... 0lodge.htm

We have stayed here a few times and can recommend Kuthula Farm Lodge - 35km east of Upington on the N14

Lovely walk or drive down to the Orange River.

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Thanks BJ & norms, I will check these places out. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Good advice coming in, thanks all. Also thanks, BT, for asking that question
as it'll be for the first time that we have to overnight in Upington as well and
I have no clue where to go. But it has to be in Upington as we only arrive late
afternoon and need to do all grocery shopping the next morning before we
shoot off in the park.

BT, would it bother you if your topic got moved to KTP General Discussions
and Informations? Might be helpful for others looking for accomm as well. \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Mel wrote:BT, would it bother you if your topic got moved to KTP General Discussions
and Informations? Might be helpful for others looking for accomm as well. \O
Whatever works best is fine with me \O

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”