Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Poacher killed in the act

Post by RogerFraser »

http://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/poacher-k ... ct-2087162

Poacher killed in the act NEWS / 5 November 2016, 3:17pm
Tanya Waterworth
Durban - A poacher became the victim on Thursday evening when game rangers monitoring a group of four rhino in iSimangaliso Wetland Park killed the man as he attempted to shoot a rhino.

On Frirday, iSimangaliso’s spokeswoman, Terri Castis said two men who were carrying high calibre weapons fired at the rhino.

“The game rangers returned fire and fatally wounded the shooter. The second suspect fled the scene.

“A .375 rifle with a silencer was recovered at the scene. The rhinos ran off into darkness and at first light yesterday, rangers resumed tracking. As yet there is no indication of any injury to the rhino. The investigation is still under way,” said Castis.

This come after news this week that rhino poaching in the province has reached the highest levels in more than a century, with 132 rhino being killed this year alone. This is according to provincial rhino security head Cedric Coetzee, who said this figure included a rampage in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park which saw 23 rhinos being slaughtered in two weeks by a gang believed to be from Limpopo.

There was also concern voiced this week that rhino poaching is starting to impact on tourism. According to a new study by the University of Pretoria, rhino poaching is an issue of concern and anxiety for visitors, with concern being voiced over the lack of information, irritation at having to wait in long queues to be searched at gates and the sound of helicopter patrols spoiling the tranquillity of a wildlife experience.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Poacher killed in the act

Post by Lisbeth »

At least no rhino left on the ground this time.........it seems O-/

The parks should print some pamphlets explaining to tourists the reasons for the inconveniences. But with the big egos all over today, I am not sure that it would help 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That the poaching has an impact on tourism might not be the worst thing. Too many people are still unware of the situation and more outcry about the blight of rhinos can only help, IMO. But I agree... information would be a good idea.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

How can tourists complain about being searched? 0*\ Surely everyone knows the scale of the problem! :evil:

nan

Post by nan »

everyone not sure, but a lot

I have a badge on my rucksack "unite against poaching" with a drawing of Rhino... lot of people ask me what is that ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”