Park under Siege - Data on Poachers and Poaching

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Toko

Park under Siege - Data on Poachers and Poaching

Post by Toko »

http://citizen.co.za/340564/park-under-siege/
An estimated 5 000 people intent on killing rhino for their horns entered the Kruger National Park (KNP) during 2014, says Ken Maggs, KNP chief of staff for special projects.
This “very conservative” estimate was based on the number of tracks observed by rangers in the park during the year. Many poachers’ tracks were washed away during rains.
Speaking the day before World Wildlife Day, Maggs said poachers were changing tactics.
“Five years ago, the predominant weapon used was the older military weapon, AK47, the SKS, and so forth,” Maggs explains.
“But of late we’ve seen an increase in the use of heavy calibre hunting rifles. It’s simply the poacher’s effort to improve the effort versus reward; however we are still seeing lighter calibres.
“We have found silencers on the weapons … Crossbows have also been used in the past, which have not proved effective at all.”
Poachers are 23 years old on average, determined to succeed, and as at home in the bush as the animals they hunt, said Maggs.
Pressure from ground and air patrols made it difficult for poachers to move around during the day, so they were increasingly carrying out their activities at night, he added.
“This makes it difficult for everybody. The poacher isn’t scared of the night. Apart from not having any rules, he’s not really scared of wild animals, and we have the full range here. Walk into an elephant or a pride of lion at night; they are not your friend. This is the person we are up against,” said Maggs.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Park under Siege - Data on Poachers and Poaching

Post by Mel »

5000 poachers as a conservative guess... @#$ Blimey... That's way more than I would have figured. O/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

5000 O-/

what can we do against 5000 of them @#$

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Alf

Post by Alf »

That works out to about 417 people per month and about 14 per day for a 30 day month.

Crazy stats 0*\

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

O/ O/

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”