Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: Rhino Census

Post by Klipspringer »

Latest official rhino numbers (estimates) from Kruger National Park

journal.pone.0209678.t002.PNG
journal.pone.0209678.t001.PNG

Ferreira SM, le Roex N, Greaver C (2019) Species-specific drought impacts on black and white rhinoceroses. PLoS ONE 14(1): e0209678. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209678

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0209678

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Quite a drop for white rhinos in 4 years :shock: but the blacks are increasing. I wonder who accurate these figures are? :-?

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Am interested in the management removal?

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

RobertT wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:12 am Am interested in the management removal?
Me too.

Might be relocation and moving orphans to rehab facilities, but what about the lethal ones :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

These numbers are guesswork...if one reads from the beginning of this thread one can see how estimates jump wildly!!

They are useless until a proper aerial census is done, and I'm afraid egos have become so invested in the current method that they would not dare have their guesstimates exposed as false... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Something that I do not understand is these statistics (because that's fundamentally what they are) is the delay. Why only 2017? Those for 2018 should be ready after six months. Slowly and not even surely 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This may have been drought-related? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Mortality of rhinos during capture and translocation could be the lethal removals; there is also a higher mortality rate amongst translocated rhinos due to fighting, wich is sometimes also inluded in mortality due to relocation when fighting mortality occurs within the first three months after introduction (‘post-release fighting’).

I don't think that this is entire "guesswork", there is enough reference to current methods of surveys and stats, but one needs a scientific background in stats to question this, just saying I don't believe this is not a sound argument.

I know there are many critics of the strip transects and block counts, but ironically, in terms of elephant counts people claim that the numbers are calculated too low and when it comes to rhino people say the estimates are too high :O^
Last edited by Klipspringer on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The rhinos sold? Don't they go under "non-lethal" Management Removals?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Lisbeth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am The rhinos sold? Don't they go under "non-lethal" Management Removals?

Yes, but there is no info re sales from which park they come from, not only from Kruger, I think.

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”