Poaching in KZN

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Toko

Poaching in KZN

Post by Toko »

Hluhluwe: Ezemvelo plans to out-strategise poachers after two more rhino killed

07 Feb 2013
Witness Reporter

POACHERS shot and killed another two rhino in KZN this week, this time in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park.
This brings the toll in the province since the start of the year to eight, and 59 countrywide.
The biggest onslaught has been in Kruger National Park where 42 rhinos have been poached.
The two found last week in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi were both white rhinos.
Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife’s Jabulani Ngubane said it was a massive blow. “There’s an urgent meeting with the park operations, so that we can [think] about doing our business differently …”
Asked where the poachers are coming from — within or outside of KZN’s boundaries — he said: “It’s a combination … Because they are from different gangs, you can’t pin them down and say they are locals.”
Ngubane said Ezemvelo needed to out-strategise the poachers.
“Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park is 96 000 hectares, which is hilly, rugged terrain … and it’s impossible for us to cover all the areas.
“We need to be strategic in terms of our directed patrols … I think my guys have got the expertise, the experience, the ability and the commitment to do it. That’s what keeps us going.”
It was vital that when rhino were lost, a strategic review took place and efforts were doubled.
King Shaka Aviation’s Justin Lowe meanwhile said the news of the latest poaching was heart-wrenching.
Donations to keep the helicopter in the air are at over R1, 056 million. Thanks to the following: Serisha Sirputh (R5 000), Bruce Muil (R3 000), Karen Furstenberg (R1 000), Amy (R1 000), Frans dos Santos (R500 monthly), Diana Martin (R470), among others.
Donors are asked to give their full names so that they can be thanked personally.
The Witness is KZN Rhino Watch’s print partner in this project.

Toko

KZN: King deeply concerned about poaching?

Post by Toko »

We can arrest slaughter

February 18 2013 at 09:00am
By BANDILE MKHIZE

I can carry on telling you that our foe is sophisticated, well armed etc, but it doesn’t wash with me anymore. Why have some eight out of a total of 10 rhinos been lost in Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park (HiP) this year alone – and most of these in one area, the iMfolozi section of the park? Why are they happening when we are at our most vulnerable? There are hints of collusion.

What I need to tell you is what you already know. It only takes a few rotten apples amid a sea of good to blow the best laid plans apart. And this sea of good extends beyond the vast majority of my trustworthy staff, the NGOs, farmers, honorary officers and those caring, ordinary people who put so much of their time helping us fight this battle.

Yes, this goodwill extends to our king, too, His Majesty King Goodwill Zwelithini. Last year I spent some five or so hours with his majesty. I had gone to see him in exactly this context. How could he help me in trying to stop this evil? It turned out to be an uplifting occasion, snippets of which I want you to hear.

Engaging

King Zwelithini has a way of waving his finger horizontally in the general direction of the listener when making a strong point. Not aggressively but like his engaging, deliberate speech, his right forefinger sways like a head of grass in a gentle wind.

He fixed his attention on the subject. He unveiled a deep-seated concern about the issue. He captivated me with his insight, rhetorical questions, humour and anecdotes.

It was a cold meal and just as well! He punctuated eating with lengthy spells of delivery. “Tell me, is South Africa not the only country left in Africa that is actually protecting the rhino? The rest of our continent has allowed them to be slaughtered. Have they not?” He repeated this question: “Have they not?”

I took notes.

“I won’t allow this to happen, that I can assure you. It’s a disgrace and a complete rejection of our Zulu culture. We all remember, don’t we, that King Shaka was South Africa’s first conservationist… and my royal forbears that followed him held strong to seasonal hunting only.” His finger swayed like the second hand of a grandfather clock.

“Does not this rhino poaching scourge fly in the face of the King’s Praise: ‘Bhejane ephuma esiqiwini?’ (Loosely speaking, his praise is linked with the Black Rhino; that he as a young boy survived and emerged from the game reserve against people’s expectations. The qualities he exhibited in doing this are associated with the rhino.)

He continued: “This slaughter is wrong and evil. My people are forgetting their culture and the lessons of our ancestry. Where is the respect? Believe me, I will not allow this to happen. It is treasonous.”

King Zwelithini spoke of the importance of rhino outside of culture: “How important is this animal to our tourism industry? Do people not understand that it is a critical component of the Big 5? You will know of this Dr Mkhize. You will also know of your own history when people of the old Natal Parks Board captured and saved the white rhino from extinction. Yes, back in the 1960s.”

He even took a swipe at the South African government.

“Are you telling me that if necessary, we don’t have the money to employ dedicated Hawks to assist Ezemvelo and other agencies managing our parks that have rhinos? This is nonsense. We must use every resource we have; even 21st century technology.”

He said people kept telling him that poaching was bound to happen because poverty and unemployment was driving it.

“I will have nothing of that. Where do I see my people planting and growing their own food? Why is it that we have to import maize now? Where is our food security? Our silos are empty. It is absurd that our national government has taken back so much land and given it to our people and yet we see no production… our land is going to waste.”

Pause.

“Why is it that we see huge packs of hunting dogs? What of our other wildlife? There will be none left one day. My people must stop this poaching. They must remember the great lessons of the bush that are a part of our culture. Don’t ring-bark trees… keep our rivers clean, worship and admire our trees, birds, snakes.”

Conviction

I left filled with conviction. I reminded myself that the t majority of people are good and want to help. Our King is one of our greatest supporters. It was so reassuring. Now it is up to me. If nothing else, I am driven by my Zulu heritage. I will uphold its lessons and wisdom.

* Mkhize is the chief executive officer of Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: King deeply concerned about poaching?

Post by Richprins »

Mkhize is in trouble, and there's nothing like visiting royalty to get your spirits up!

I like the king's responses...this may work!

I wonder if he used up his other animals donated? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Re: King deeply concerned about poaching?

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:
I wonder if he used up his other animals donated? :-?
Yip, I was thinking the same thing :twisted:

Toko

KZN Poaching

Post by Toko »

KWAZULU-NATAL RHINO RELATED CRIMINAL INCIDENTS 1990 TO DATE (2013-03-30)

Download PDF

Download Excel

Toko

Re: KZN Poaching Stats

Post by Toko »

KZN: EZEMVELO KZN WILDLIFE PROTECTED AREAS AND PRIVATE RANCHES STATS (up to 30 March 2013)

Download Excel

KZN RHINO POACHING FIGURES

Download Excel

vinkie

Post by vinkie »

This is the full article published on the KZNWildlife site: http://www.kznwildlife.com

If this doubles the previous post you may delete it Toko O**

Media Release: Rhino Poaching

Published Date 21 May 2013

Written by mthokozisi

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife today announced the discovery of 11 rhino carcasses, all lost to poaching incidents that have occurred over the past 20 days or so.

Eight of the dead rhinos (seven White Rhino and one Black Rhino) were found in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, six having been recently shot on the Western Shores of the park whilst two were found on the Eastern Shores section.

Of the other three, two White Rhino were found in the uMsuluzi Community Conservation Area near Colenso and were considered to have been poached in April. The other rhino, which was reported about a week ago, was lost in the Weenen Nature Reserve.

A defiant Dr Bandile Mkhize, CEO of Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, said however depressing this news was, he was determined to keep working on solutions and tightening up on security matters.

“We will not drop our heads. However heart sore I feel today, we will fight with everything we’ve got to track down these criminals. That I can assure you,” he said.

“No one can point fingers but it would appear that these attacks came at a time when we were a little vulnerable, especially in the Western Shores area that has a 100km long boundary”. Dr. Mkhize further stated.

Tony Conway, iSimangaliso Park Manager said however horrific the discoveries, he was nevertheless able to report that a spent 458 cartridge was found which clearly indicates that heavy calibre firearms are being used. The Zululand Anti Poaching Wing helicopter assisted in the search for poachers last night and early this morning.

Ezemvelo has intensified its aerial patrol at Isimangaliso Wetland Park and is looking at improving its underground information gathering efforts around the Park.

Dr Mkhize agreed that he had become quietly buoyant about Ezemvelo’s rhino poaching record this year.

“We have not lost a rhino over the past three months at our premier Hluhluwe- iMfolozi Park (HiP). Until the middle of last week we had recorded 10 rhinos lost to poaching throughout all our parks. Amidst the carnage of some 300 lost throughout South Africa I felt this was a pretty fine achievement. And this year we have arrested some 16 poachers, too.”

These latest poaching incidents simply reminded him and his staff of the “prowling and ever-present danger that lurks amongst us”

“There is no respite but I remain positive. I have just witnessed the most extraordinary enthusiasm and commitment from our 400 Rhino Ambassadors at their formal induction ceremony at HIP on Friday last week. Our people are behind us and I know that every rhino lost will further galvanise their efforts to hunt out these traitors to our cause.”

The loss of these rhinos comes at a time when Ezemvelo is preparing for the Rhino Summit which will take place at the University of Zululand, Kwa Dlangezwa from 22-23 May 2013.The Rhino summit will discuss a number of issues including how to involve the communities as the first line of defense, National strategy on rhino poaching and how to improve local networks in combating Wildlife Crime.

M/M Media Release: Rhino Poaching
For further information contact the Communications Manager, Musa Mntambo on 033 845 1743/ 083 284 9586 or e-mail mntambom@kznwildlife.com

PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

I have to question why 40 rhino were sold recently to whatever end - trophy hunting or aspiring rhino horn traders when the kind of slaughter we are seeing is just escalating out of control. As for the means whereby these rhino were airlifted for relocation to the bomas well thats imho simply cruelty to animals. Maybe whilst the helicopters were busy relocating these rhino it allowed poachers free rein?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Optimistically, they are going to safe places, Penny!? Maybe some are seeing spreading them as a responsible thing to do? Probably with a later option to dehorn pending legalisation of trade? At least they won't be killed, hopefully.

Pretty sure many will arrive hornless at their new destinations...

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”