KNP ivory

Information and Discussion on the Fauna and Flora of the Kruger Park
100ponder

KNP ivory

Post by 100ponder »

Quite some time ago I was corresponding with Kirsty Redman about the elephant museum in Letaba Camp. At that stage she advised that the museum is running out of space and that there soon will be too many sets of "giant" tusks to be displayed.

Ever-since, I had it in the back of my mind that the wondeful tuskers we follow and search with so much dedication during our KNP visits will all die eventually, their tusks will then disappear into the SANPARKS vaults and all that will really remain are some photos on the pages of this website and a handful of other simmilar websites.

The tusks from tuskers such as Masorini and Mabarule ( both were acknowledged by NPB ) never became as exceptional as the legendary giants and will therefore not be priority for Letaba Museum displays.

My idear with this topic is to stimulate discussion and idears on this subject.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: KNP ivory

Post by Richprins »

Nice, 100p!

I think policy is to keep the magnificent 7 and then rotate others as big ones are found? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

I don't know if vast majority of visitors would be interested in seeing more than that are displayed. They look like a collection of trophies to some.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I hate hunting trophies, but these tusks are collected after the animal dies naturally (in most cases), so I think it would be great to display them on a rotation basis. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, Flutts! One just wonders if money is not spent elsewhere too much? :-(

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

Regardless - I hate the thought of those wonderful tusks will be sold on future SANPARKS ivory auctions to be cut-up just to become name stamps or stupid little ornaments ! Certainly our tuskers should not be degenerated to such low levels of human desire !

Alf

Post by Alf »

I think if Sanparks can spend millions on building new hotels etc, they can make plan to extend the elephant museum and make space for new tuskers or guys like Duke etc

Let's face it the elephant museum are a huge attraction with everyone visiting Letaba but at one stage nobody will visit it anymore if you have seen it before because nothing changed and there are nothing new

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Somehow I missed this topic 0*\

If Sanparks wants to, I am sure that they can find a way to make it interesting for everybody to visit and re-visit and every day there are people who have never been to Letaba before.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

Yes Lis. Almost every time we go to KNP we sleep over at Letaba because it's such an amazing camp and we don't visit the museum anymore because nothing changes. Every time it's the same. They need to keep it interesting

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

But wasn't the elephant museum upgraded recently ?

Return to “Fauna and Flora of Kruger Park”